• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CO of Hal relieved

While underway with Sea Training, ST makes a point of stopping random sailors and asking if they know anything about what's going on, where we are and what were doing. Their findings are provided and improvments are to be made.

Also the IMO/IMD are constantly filling inboxes with updates and goings on ect ect.

Lastly, during HODs and CHODs information is supposed to be given for important 5 Ws. And that is supposed to be disseminated in follow on OGroups.

All this is to say we are trying. But we aren't great yet. It would be nice if the flex wouldn't change every half an hour.
I've tried telling the Navy that we have these things called TVs. You can actually mount them to bulkheads, it's pretty handy.

There is also this program called Microsoft Outlook. Unlike Excel, it lives in the Cloud and will automatically update whenever changes are made and everyone can see it. You could plug a SHIPLAN computer in to a TV and have the Flex avail on Outlook for all to see.....

I know..... crazy talk 😄

I've tried telling the Navy that we have these things called TVs. You can actually mount them to bulkheads, it's pretty handy.

There is also this program called Microsoft Outlook. Unlike Excel, it lives in the Cloud and will automatically update whenever changes are made and everyone can see it. You could plug a SHIPLAN computer in to a TV and have the Flex avail on Outlook for all to see.....

I know..... crazy talk 😄

Not sure about other fleets, but in LRP we usually have 3 big TVs in Sqn Ops; 2 to display the current and next weeks FLYPRO/schedule and 1 below to display the Sqn pers matrix (what obligations each flyer etc has the next 3 weeks).

Not having that up and on in Ops is as weird as if someone was standing in Ops in an Elvis costume.

when we fly we have instant access to almost all available info at any tactical station and we are always a short walk to one if something starts happening (Eg - we’re in the galley destroying a sandwich).

I couldn’t imagine going days on end not knowing where we are or what we are doing. Weird and uncomfortable to me…

I know..... crazy talk 😄
Uh, they don't have TVs mounted to bulkheads in the CPFs? MCDVs have those in the Wardroom, C/POs, and Main Cave.

The idea of the Flex on TV is pretty cool though. Put up a nice screensaver of PAO shots from the deployment too.

Uh, they don't have TVs mounted to bulkheads in the CPFs? MCDVs have those in the Wardroom, C/POs, and Main Cave.

The idea of the Flex on TV is pretty cool though. Put up a nice screensaver of PAO shots from the deployment too.
Oh they do, they just don't use them for anything 😉

I know, revolutionary ideas here, using Outlook for it's intended purpose instead of a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet.

You can even print Outlook Calendars 😁 and have them all fancy and colour coded.

I'm willing to bet a decade from now that we still use Excel Spreadsheets to display a schedule. Hundreds of years of tradition unencumbered by progress 😁

I feel like I am the only one here who doesn't know what is going on. I don't know how to read between the lines on this one. What could the man have done that would have him lose his job but isn't criminal? I would think it would have to be something pretty serious.
Are we still talking about the Regina CO? I'm not sure. This thread is now 9 pages long but only the first 2.5 pages are about the HAL CO which is the title of this thread. Anyway, if youre asking about the REG CO, then I also don't know what actually happened, but if I was to guess, it would be that it would be either:
1. his performance as CO was simply not up to standard;
2. his attitude/personality was considered toxic (i.e. they saw the damage he was doing to his unit without actually committing chargeable offences); or
3. he had a consensual-non-consensual relationship with a subordinate.

It was good enough for Nelson's Navy to keep the crew in the dark.

The struggle here is against history and tradition with perhaps some 'classism'. Bravo to those who are working to keep everyone well informed.
That is the thing- keeping the crew in the dark was never a thing in Nelson’s Navy. When you are in a sailing ship of 1000 tonnes with hundreds of your closest “friends“ doing 6 kts, everybody knew everything about what was going on. Especially if there was even the faintest hint that a prize might be taken. RN ships of the Napoleonic period had harsh discipline compared to the mid 1700s, due to the rapid expansion and vast quantities of impressed landsmen onboard, but it was still remarkably egalitarian compared to the rest of British Society (and the period before that was even more egalitarian with almost no harsh discipline. Professional seamen are valuable- you don’t flog them at the drop of a hat) . All of the Officers had come up from midships, with a very long apprenticeship/tutelage under the watchful eye of the very hands they would later command.

Getting to my point: I think modern NWO training and education is broken. As short of people as we are, I think NWOs need to spend a reasonably significant time learning how ships run from the bottom up, living as cadets being supervised in many tasks by MS and P2s, before moving on to the more esoteric and purely NWO skills. When you do things that way, the pricks are less likely to get through (the NCMs get a vote) and it is embedded into each officer what the conditions are for the crew.

That is the thing- keeping the crew in the dark was never a thing in Nelson’s Navy. When you are in a sailing ship of 1000 tonnes with hundreds of your closest “friends“ doing 6 kts, everybody knew everything about what was going on. Especially if there was even the faintest hint that a prize might be taken. RN ships of the Napoleonic period had harsh discipline compared to the mid 1700s, due to the rapid expansion and vast quantities of impressed landsmen onboard, but it was still remarkably egalitarian compared to the rest of British Society (and the period before that was even more egalitarian with almost no harsh discipline. Professional seamen are valuable- you don’t flog them at the drop of a hat) . All of the Officers had come up from midships, with a very long apprenticeship/tutelage under the watchful eye of the very hands they would later command.

Getting to my point: I think modern NWO training and education is broken. As short of people as we are, I think NWOs need to spend a reasonably significant time learning how ships run from the bottom up, living as cadets being supervised in many tasks by MS and P2s, before moving on to the more esoteric and purely NWO skills. When you do things that way, the pricks are less likely to get through (the NCMs get a vote) and it is embedded into each officer what the conditions are for the crew.
We had a pretty good system with 4 squadron but it was unsustainable in the end. We have never really replaced that capability.

Are we still talking about the Regina CO? I'm not sure. This thread is now 9 pages long but only the first 2.5 pages are about the HAL CO which is the title of this thread. Anyway, if youre asking about the REG CO, then I also don't know what actually happened, but if I was to guess, it would be that it would be either:
1. his performance as CO was simply not up to standard;
2. his attitude/personality was considered toxic (i.e. they saw the damage he was doing to his unit without actually committing chargeable offences); or
3. he had a consensual-non-consensual relationship with a subordinate.

I was asking about both/either. Thanks for the reply. I understand a little better now. Does this kind of info usually become public eventually or do they keep it pretty quiet?

I was asking about both/either. Thanks for the reply. I understand a little better now. Does this kind of info usually become public eventually or do they keep it pretty quiet?
As a CO, you can't have a romantic relationship or interaction with a subordinate, even if consensual.

I like how Nelson's great strategic advantage was actually having a plan ahead of time that he shared with his other ship's captains, and then executing it.

I wish I lived in an era where simply talking to people made you a strategic genius.

Back