• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CO of Lincoln and Welland Regiment Celebrates 40 YEARS of Service!!!

JBP

Inactive
Reaction score
Last night at my regiment we celebrated our Commanding Officer's army birthday.

He has now served a full 40 years in Canada's army, starting as a private in my unit and then advancing through the ranks to Chief WO, then being commissioned as a Captain and working his way to Lt. Colonel and Commander of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment. With just over 200 years of service, this distinguished officer has served for just under 20% of the unit's entire history.

Lt. Colonel Dwyer, was actually 16 when he joined, having illegally signed the parental permission forms himself! We had a mock trial setup for him where he was charged for that violation and a mini-summary trail was held in jest, where he was charged to serve another 40 years in selfless service to his country and unit.

Present at this parade lastnight were many high-ranking officers and politicians, notably:
CO LFCA, CO 31 Bde, 31 Bde RSM, Mayor of Welland, Deputy Mayor of St. Catharines, Liberal MPP Jim Bradley, Wendy Southhall Chief of Niagara Regional Police and many more notable and honoured guests including the Commander's own family.

All in all it was a good night of celebration with much mingling of the ranks where the CO and CO of LFCA, CO 31 Bde and 31 Bde RSM visited the junior ranks mess for some time and had a few speechs to give us. Good times as always.

Anyone know of other soldiers who have served this amount of time, or is this as rare as it seems? I didn't even know he had been in that long until this parade night came up! I thought maybe he'd been in for like 20-25yrs or so... I say hats off to the man, I was flabbergasted when I found out!

Three cheers for soldiers and Commanders who committ themselves to Canada and our cause so dutifully!

Right on good for him 40 years is ridiculously impressive I am sure with a man with that kind of experience coming all the way through the ranks he has given your unit untold amounts of experience and excellent leadership. 

Capt George Fraser, Cape Breton Highlanders is closing in on 43 yrs I believe.

So I suppose it is indeed a rare thing to have someone serve 40 years, I figured as much. Seems even more rare then a Private going all the way through the ranks up to General. Along time ago there was a short thread on here about that also, seems there's even quite a few Generals now days that have done that! I was shocked about that too...

:cdn:

I know the RSM for 4RCR is definetely sneaking up in that time.
Not sure how much time he's got in.
Same with one Sgt from T Coy 4 RCR; he's got about 30-35 years in.
that's definetely quite the accomplishment though; 40 years?!? jebus, I wish I could do that.
Greg

Isn't 4 RCR the reserve part of RCR??? Sorry if I goofed that up, but you guys have some phsycotic CSM there... Crap what's his name...

Telfer? No.. TALLACK! Or Tellic? Something like that! Anyway, he's the CSM of the reserve group of RCR...

Anycase, he was my CSM for this past summer's reserve excercise Stalwart Guardian in Pet, what a crazy SOB! He's a lawyer in his normal career and I think he saves up all his frustration for the end of the year and brings it to Pet cause this guy was a RAGE-o-HOLIC...

Anyway...

From what I've experienced from RCR guys, not surprising because they're all pretty damn hardcore kickass soldiers. Maybe somewhat anal when it comes to leadership, but bang-on!

You can do 40 years, if you're not too old already.

;)

LCol Mouatt former CO 7th Toronto Regiment, now with LFCA - circa 43 years of service.  :salute:

Ro31 Pte Joe, get more than five minutes in the army before you comment. MWO Talac is fairly young for a  MWO.

ArmyRick said:
Ro31 Pte Joe, get more than five minutes in the army before you comment. MWO Talac is fairly young for a  MWO.

Good point I suppose. Yeah I noticed he was pretty young for that rank from what I've seen, which was awesome because he had that aggressive flame and he was fired up. I wasn't saying it was bad or that HE was bad at all, I enjoyed the time in his company, was an awesome experience.

As I said about RCR guys I've met so far, great soldiers.

Joe

Back