• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Co-Op or Summer

Chauhan

Inactive
Reaction score
I start my co-op on Feb 1st or so and i was wondering is that BMQ or is BMQ during the 10 weeks in summer how does it work if its notBMQ then what do we do in co-op?

for your co-op you will be doing BMQ then if you deside to stick with it you will go away in the summer to complete your training, if your infantry you will do SQ (soldier qualification) and BIQ/DP1 Inf/whatever they are gonna call it tomorrow(infantry qualification)

By co-op, are you referring to the Military Co-op program offered through High School? I was talking to a guidance counselor the other day and they informed me that the program was scrapped.  ???

Yeah it's offered thru high school im done have my 30 creds but doing my bmq/sq (so im told) and hopefully thats a good thing since i wont have to do my bmq in summer time.. and its not scrapped i live in brampton, ontario near toronto and it might depend on your location if they can fund it or not...here its not scrapped im going for training at The Lorne Scots at georgetown supposedly starting Feb 2nd and i have my medical on Jan 17th so my process is going quick i guess...good luck

That's pretty strange. I'll have to check into it in greater detail with someone else at the school. Thanks for confirming that it's still around!

Kinote said:
That's pretty strange. I'll have to check into it in greater detail with someone else at the school. Thanks for confirming that it's still around!

Depends on where you are.

Some units offer it, others don't/

scraped? u just scared the crap out of me! :crybaby:
i thought all that effort was for nothing..

I just checked in with my school's Co-op co-coordinator fellow and he confirmed that CFB North Bay doesn't have the military co-op program. Dang.

The co-op program is only in those schools that want it.  Even if a board has the co-op program in some other of it's schools, this doesn't mean that all schools have to have it.  If, for example, the principal is against the military coming into their school with this program, it is not obligated to offer it to the students.  You would think that they would jump at the chance to bring it in so that some kids would be able to take advantage of everything it offers and the potential career out of it.

I am taking Military Co-Op next year I am currently in grade 10 and passed my literacy test. And I am taking Military Co-Op. I just got a few questions , i searched the forum for co-op questions but couldn't find what I was looking for.

1) What do you do in Military Co-OP? I Cant talk to my guidance cause they don't want to make appointments (don't  ask why, cause i don't know). Do you get payed?
2) Do I get my SQ? do I get any other qualifications?
3) I want to go in the Forces, in the summer, after Co-Op? Can i go in for other qualifications or do i have to go through it all over again?
4) What will I do in the summer after I finish Co-Op?
5) I am hoping to become a pilot for the army, thats where i want to move . I know how to fly a Cessna, but I heard that army teaches the whole thing their style

City: kitchener, Ontario
School : St.Mary's Catholic School (im not catholic)
Citizen: Yes , Canadian

I am in coop right now here in Manitoba, I'm gonna answer all your questions as best I can.

First off, yes you do get paid, generally a half days pay every day but when you work 6 hours or more you get a full days pay, normally you are at "work" for about 5 hours. You take "classes" that are 40 minutes each, sometimes lessons can stretch for hours (stupid military law). You do a lot of drill classes and you're going to go insane everytime you hear "for ease of learning this can be broken down into squads". The other day we had dressing a squad with arms, stripping and cleaning the C7, ethics and morals of the Canadian forces and PT. You get the idea eh? It's basic training.

Yes you do SQ. Assuming you complete the whole course you will be BMQ and SQ qualified. SQ is carried out in the same format as BMQ. You do a 2 week exercise on your SQ, and yeah you go out on weekends sometimes during BMQ for things like firing ranges etc.

During the summer you can go on your MOC training, that is what I am doing, going to Wainright for my Infantry qualification. You don't have to go away during the summer though, and no you don't have to redo BMQ and SQ, those courses are for real.

To answer question four, you will either go for your MOC training or whatever your unit tells you to do.

You join the air force to be a pilot. First get a university degree, you have to be an officer to fly those planes(99% sure). During COOP your trade choices are limited to what is being offered in your are by your units. You can't be a reserve pilot. If I am wrong somebody please correct me.

Anyways just some tips for you if you're going into it. Get into shape NOW. People over here on my COOP course aren't in that great shape, you do lots of running and pushups, sit-ups and ab work. It's important to be fit in the army and important to be fit in life. If you are ever doing PT and you can't go on any longer NEVER QUIT, you can slow down but never stop. COOP is a lot of fun, I hope you do it, it's a great experience and I love it so far.

Awsome Thankx. Yeah Im very well fit , :) I can run 12 km in 67 min.
I also have a personal trainer that i work out with, and i have my own gym set at home (wieghts etc. and a treadmill) i run outside alot to work (5Km)

I got bout 8 months to keep my shape , I play basketball alot and soccer so thats also a plus :)

There is another thread on here that has alot of information. I'm also 16 and taking militia coop next year, mine is supposed to be BMQ and SQ as well, run full-day.

What reserve unit are you doing it with?

hmm, I dont know, Ill call the 1 800 number and find out :) unless anyone else knows?

Back