• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Col Geoff Parker killed in VBIED attack Kabul, 18 May 10

Condolences to the family, friends and, the Regimental Family....

...the Commander-in-Chief/Governor General:
We find ourselves once again mourning a tragic loss in the space of just a few days. It is with great sadness that my husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I learned of the death in Afghanistan of another member of the Canadian Forces, Colonel Geoff Parker from the Royal Canadian Regiment, working at Land Force Central Area Headquarters.

He was killed when a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb in the heart of the capital, Kabul. Five American soldiers and civilians were also killed in this despicable attack, which injured dozens more.

This barbaric act of aggression in the middle of rush hour reminds us of the many dangers our brave military personnel and the Afghan population are exposed to every day. Despite this tragedy, the will of Colonel Parker’s brothers- and sisters-in-arms to protect the Afghan people remains unshaken. Together with NATO forces, they are fully committed to fulfilling their difficult mission of restoring justice and peace to a country ravaged by decades of oppression and injustice.

We extend our sincerest condolences to the family and loved ones of Colonel Parker; to his colleagues, who are grappling with this immense and unjust loss of one of their own; and to all those mourning the other victims of this terrible attack. We also wish a speedy recovery to all those who were injured. Our thoughts are with you at this time.

.... the PM:
“We are all deeply saddened to hear of the death of Colonel Geoff Parker, a professional, dedicated Canadian soldier, who made the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan.  Colonel Parker was killed today when a suicide car bomb detonated near an International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) convoy in Kabul.

“My sincere condolences go out to Colonel Parker’s family and friends, who should be extremely proud of his honourable service to his country.  On behalf of Canada, I also extend my sympathies to the families and friends of the five American service members and numerous Afghans who perished in the same attack.

“Canada is in Afghanistan at the request of the democratically-elected Afghan government, as part of a UN-mandated, NATO-led mission to help Afghans rebuild their country as a stable, democratic and self-sufficient society.

“The Taliban have consistently demonstrated their utter brutality through their complete disregard for the lives of innocent Afghans.  This attack will not deter Canada from its mission to help the people of Afghanistan stand on their own in repelling the forces of extremism and international terrorism.

“Colonel Parker was a great Canadian who will be greatly missed by the Canadian Forces family and his community.  Canadians are proud of and grateful for his service and for the contributions of all our men and women in uniform.”

.... and the Minister of National Defence:
“We grieve the loss of Colonel Geoff Parker who died today in Afghanistan. He was killed when a suicide car bomb detonated near an International Security Assistance Force convoy in Kabul.

I extend my heartfelt sympathy to Col Parker’s family and friends. Our prayers and thoughts of support are with you at this time, and the Defence family shares your sorrow.

Terrorists have consistently disregarded the desire of Afghans to change and improve the quality of their lives.  This cold-blooded attack and murder of soldiers and innocent civilians will not derail progress towards a better Afghanistan.

Participation in the United Nations-mandated, NATO-led mission in Afghanistan is a demonstration by Canada of our determination to confront oppression and brutality and to help those in need.

Col Parker was a brave Canadian. His sacrifice will not be forgotten and this event will not deter us from continuing to help Afghans to live in freedom.”

Thank you sir and rest in peace. Heartfelt sympathies to the family.  :cdn:

I Knew Geoff in High School,We attended White Oaks Secondary School in Oakville.I have not seen him since graduation but I recognized his picture on TV right away.He was in the Army Cadets and I was a Reservist.He was focused on going to RMC.WE would talk military history at lunch.Well done on your achievements Geoff.

My deepest sympathies to your family and I will remeber him with Pride. :salute:

http://www.theroyalcanadianregiment.ca/forum/index.php/topic,672/post-4802/topicseen.html#msg4802

From a news item posted on the regimental site:

The convoy carrying the body of the most recent Canadian military casualty in Afghanistan is likely to make its way down the Highway of Heroes Friday afternoon, with the repatriation tentatively slated to arrive at Durham's easternmost edge just after 3 p.m.

Colonel Geoff Parker, 42, an Oakville native, was among 18 people, military and civilian, killed in a suicide attack in Kabul May 18. He was the 145th Canadian soldier to die since the mission began in 2002, and the seventh this year.

He's Canada's highest-ranking casualty to date.

It's anticipated his body will arrive at CFB Trenton around 2 p.m. Friday, May 21. After a ceremony there, the procession will head out onto Hwy. 401. It takes just over an hour to go from the Quinte base to the east end of Durham.

Geoff was a good man and a fine officer.

RIP Brother - you will be missed.

My condolences to his family and to the Regiment.

Col Geoff Parker

Loving Father, Fine Officer, Leader and My Friend.
Geoff was a man of quick humour, humility and deep sincerity, we will all miss him greatly.

Col Parker gained an interest in the military as an Army Cadet at 1188 RC(Army)CC (The Lorne Scots) in Oakville where I was a Junior CIC Officer at the time.  Geoff  always seemed to be smiling, particularly in the rain or if things got tough. Always the first to see what needed done next and always the first to organize to get it done - no follow up required.

He came back to 1188 in May of 2007 to be the annual's Reviewing Officer. The Cadets got a big kick out of having "one of their own" on the podium. He gave a heartfelt speech about the Cadet program and  how it helped him - I think he enjoyed that moment as much as the Cadets did - maybe more - a chance to bring a little inspiration back.

Geoff attended all the major Summer Camps: Arctic Indoc, Banff NACC, Basic Parachutist and finally the CFE Flyover. He managed to balance talent with humility.

He leaves behind his wife & two children - let's look out for them...

Geoff brother RIP....

You were a fine officer, your heart was always in the right place, and you always made a point of doing the right thing, however difficult. 

We will miss you, and i will treasure our time together.

My deepest condolences to MJ and family... God Bless.

....here's the names of the American fallen in the Kabul VBIED attack via Stars & Stripes:
Three high-ranking U.S. Army officers and two enlisted soldiers were among those killed Tuesday in the suicide bombing of a NATO convoy in Kabul, officials confirmed late Wednesday.

The Defense Department identified the dead as:

Col. John M. McHugh, 46, of New Jersey, with the U.S. Army Battle Command Training Program in Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

Lt. Col. Paul R. Bartz, 43, of Waterloo, Wis., with headquarters of the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) in Fort Drum, N.Y.

Lt. Col. Thomas P. Belkofer, 44, of Perrysburg, Ohio, with headquarters of the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, N.Y.

Staff Sgt. Richard J. Tieman, 28, of Waynesboro, Pa., assigned to Special Troops Battalion, V Corps, Heidelberg, Germany.

Spc. Joshua A. Tomlinson, 24, of Dubberly, La., assigned to Special Troops Battalion, V Corps, Heidelberg, Germany ....

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of our fallen American allies  :salute:

News Room
Our Fallen Comrade Returns Home
LFCA MA 10-05 - May 20, 2010

OTTAWA – Our fallen comrade, Colonel Geoff Parker of the Royal Canadian Regiment, working at Land Force Central Area Headquarters, based in Toronto, Ontario, returns home to Canada tomorrow.

Where:  8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.

When:  Friday, May 21, 2010 at 2 p.m.
What:    At the request of the family media will be permitted on the tarmac.

Present to pay their respects will be Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, Minister of National Defence, The Honourable Peter MacKay, Chief of the Defence Staff, General Walt Natynczyk and other dignitaries.

Colonel Parker was killed while travelling in a NATO convoy when a vehicle borne improvised explosive device was detonated near their vehicles at approximately 8 a.m. local Afghanistan time on 18 May 2010.

Colonel Parker was in Kabul as part of a NATO team preparing for their upcoming mission.

-30-

For more information:  Captain Mark Peebles, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer                                                     
                                        Tel: (613) 392-2811, ext. 2041, Cell: (613)-243-6358 or
                                        via e-mail:  mark.peebles@forces.gc.ca

As this is a solemn and formal occasion, all attending are requested to dress appropriately.

During the GG's speech at the RMC Convocation a moment of silence was observed for Col. Parker and a prayer for his family as he held [if I heard right] two Master's degrees from the College.

Rest in peace Sir,

My most sincere condolences to the family, his Regiment, and friends. Truly a great loss. Ubique  :cdn: :yellow:

RIP Sir (salute)
Your sacrifice will not be fogotton
condolences to family,, comrades.. friends
scoty b

I am currently in Oakville right now and today as I was driving into work, I noticed quite a few flags at half-mast (as they should be) which is a sad reminder.  RIP.

:yellow:

- edited to include latest allegations from AFG authorities & edit post subject to reflect same -

This from the Associated Press:
Afghan authorities Monday announced the arrests of seven people in last week's suicide car bombing that killed six NATO soldiers including four colonels — three of them American and one Canadian.

(....)

The spokesman for Afghanistan's intelligence service, Saeed Ansari, told reporters that the seven, who included one schoolteacher, were taken into custody separately over the last week.

He did not say what specific roles the seven played in the attack and it was unclear what impact the arrests would have on Taliban operations in the capital, which is far more peaceful than many other parts of the country.

Ansari said the seven were under the command of the Taliban's "shadow governor" of Kabul, Daoud Surkha, who the Afghans allege is hiding in Pakistan. He said the cell was responsible for at least seven other attacks in the capital since last year, including the February assault against guesthouses frequented by foreigners in which six Indians were killed ....

This from the New York Times:
A spokesman for Afghanistan’s intelligence agency on Monday accused Pakistan’s intelligence agency of involvement in the suicide bombing here last week that killed six NATO soldiers, including four colonels.
At War

While Saeed Ansari, the spokesman for the National Directorate of Security, Afghanistan’s spy agency, did not mention the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence agency by name, he left no doubt of what he meant.

The remarks came in a news conference announcing the arrest of seven people suspected of organizing the attack last Tuesday, in which a suicide bomber drove a minivan full of explosives into a convoy of armored S.U.V.’s. The blast killed 18 people, including a Canadian and an American colonel, 2 American lieutenant colonels and their 2 American drivers, as well as 12 Afghan civilians ....

More from Reuters:
Afghanistan's main spy agency has arrested a group of Taliban it said was behind a series of deadly suicide bomb attacks in the capital, including one last week which killed 20 people, among them six foreign servicemen.

The leader of the group, Eide Gul, has confessed to having planned the attacks from Pakistan, the agency said in a statement on Tuesday ....

Back