• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Col. Pat Stogran, CAN's New Vets Ombudsman

dapaterson said:
Andre Marin is a self-indulgent glory hound, who funnels sole-sourced contracts to a preferred mentor, and who never let regulations that were clearly communicated get in the way of a good story.

His tenure as CF Ombudsman was marked by extremely high levels of staff turnover - hardly the hallmark of a leader to emulate.

http://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/article/815727

Dunno,

But this is what Christie Blatchford, a huge fan and champion of the CF said about him;

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/a-mandate-to-be-tough-and-thorough-cant-be-turned-on-and-off/article1585365/

Now, Mr. Marin is a tough S.O.B.

I got to know him a little when he was the head of the Special Investigations Unit, the independent agency which investigates police shootings and the like in Ontario. He was fearless, there and later as the Canadian Forces’ ombudsman.

You can’t properly run an agency whose sole mandate it is to investigate the powers-that-be, in whatever form, without having big nuts. Mr. Marin has the requisite equipment, and maybe he’s demanding and abrasive, though I never noticed, perhaps because I’m even worse.

As the province’s ombudsman, he’s also been fearless and effective, spearheading change and accomplishing good, often embarrassing the government in the process, and suggesting his powers need to be expanded in order to allow him to probe a litany of complaints about child protection services, hospitals and old-age homes and boards of education.

Thanks Dap, but, I will stick to my original post, and to Blatch's assessment....

dileas

tess

Perhaps I'm just old school, but I pay for my own toiletries and don't expense them to my job, and don't have a big screen TV and digital cable, let alone get them and bill them to the province of Ontario.

But then, what can you expect for a salary of only $215,790.71 (plus benefits).

dapaterson said:
Perhaps I'm just old school, but I pay for my own toiletries and don't expense them to my job, and don't have a big screen TV and digital cable, let alone get them and bill them to the province of Ontario.

But then, what can you expect for a salary of only $215,790.71 (plus benefits).

Oh the Devil,

I bet he also eats meat, and sleeps in on Sundays....

dileas

tess

It has turned out to be very interesting. Thanks for the links. Lets hope its on the 6 o'clock news, or will it be bumped for some celebrity getting drunk and stupid?

Well, that was a non event... So much for naming and shaming anyone. The news reporting system in this country is driven by clear, concise sound bites that have been carefully crafted to sway / cement public opinion in favour of veteran's issues. That didn't happen during this much anticipated press conference. And, then to threaten violence in order to advance the cause was a huge mistake. I understand that people are extremely frustrated with the way their cases are being managed but the threat of violence will likely make it even more difficult to access VAC services.
Don't get me wrong here, I feel that vets are getting a raw deal and that the New Veterans Charter should be scrapped however, today's panel didn't advance the cause that's so near and dear to many of us. :2c:
edited for crap spelling

My perspective on this was that while there was a very important message here, the Ombudsman squandered the opportunity to get the nation's attention (if that was even possible) with a poorly-staged press conference. I can't blame the participants for being inarticulate or nervous in front of the camera, in fact I applaud their courage, but much of what was said, and how it was said, did not come across well.  As a veteran, with a disability, I'm not sure this has advanced our situation very much. I hope I am wrong.

mikeninercharlie said:
however, today's panel didn't advance the cause that's so near and dear to many of us. :2c:

From my limited knowledge of Col (ret`d) Stogran, that's like complaining on 07 June 1944 that Berlin hadn't fallen yet.  The public battle has just begun.

dapaterson said:
From my limited knowledge of Col (ret`d) Stogran, that's like complaining on 07 June 1944 that Berlin hadn't fallen yet.  The public battle has just begun.
Bang on, with this as a key message already being bandied about by (at least) the NDP.

Who'd a thunk that the NDP would be agreeing with a bunch of knuckledraggers? Have the planets aligned?

Looks like the Ombudsman got sacked for speaking up.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/08/17/veterans-ombudsman-stogran.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ottawa-failing-its-troops-watchdog-warns/article1676115/
I love this quote from Col. Strogan, “I was told by a senior Treasury Board analyst, who shall remain nameless, that it is in the government’s best interest to have soldiers killed overseas rather than wounded because the liability is shorter term.”

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100817/strogen-veterans-ombudsman-100817/20100817/?hub=WinnipegHome
"It is beyond my comprehension how the system could knowingly deny so many of our veterans the services and benefits that the people and the government of Canada recognized a long, long time ago as being their obligation to provide," he said.

"After a mere two years and nine months, we've been confronted with the tasks of staffing the office, identifying the ways that our veterans are being unfairly treated and developing doctrines and protocols to redress them," he said. "All the while being impeded by a bureaucracy that was deliberately obstructive and deceptive."

"It's hard for me not to get angry when I think how our vets are being treated,"

VAC is such a disaster now with the New Screw Veterans Charter.

It's no real suprise this headline has in the news already. The highlight is mine.

from thestar.com

Veterans wanted dead, not alive, ombudsman charges

OTTAWA – Col. Pat Stogran, a retired infantry officer, has spent the last three years advocating better treatment for Canada’s wounded veterans.

But the federal ombudsman only realized the enormity of the battle he was fighting after a recent conversation with a civil servant who watches over the government’s purse.

“I was told … that it is in the government’s best interests to have soldiers killed overseas rather than wounded because the liability is shorter term,” Stogran said.

For the former Canadian commander in Afghanistan, it was a revealing answer to a stunning problem. The government’s treatment of soldiers and Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers who have sacrificed their limbs, mental health and lives for the country was a question of dollars and cents.

In some cases, said veterans who joined Stogran at a news conference Tuesday, Ottawa is even using tax dollars to avoid paying compensation to veterans.

The fight against Kenneth Young, who said he was exposed to the deadly chemical known as Agent Orange at CFB Gagetown in the 1970s, has cost some $8 million, the former army soldier said. At least $1 million has been spent fighting a class action suit brought by 6,500 veterans to stop the government from cutting their long-term disability insurance benefits by the amount of their monthly disability pension from Veterans Affairs Canada, said Dennis Manuge, who left the military for medical reasons in 2003 and is leading the lawsuit.

The years of struggle against bureaucrats at Veteran’s Affairs Canada has shaken these once proud soldiers’ faith in their governments and in their countries. Manuge, who fought back tears, his hands trembling, said his frustration has him on the verge of “ultra radicalism” when he should be preparing for the birth of his first child in December.

Even Stogran, who fondly recalled his “gun-slinging” year in Bosnia and felt commanding troops in Kandahar was the peak of his 30-year career, has his doubts.

“After two and a half years in this job it would be tough for me to say to a young person, ‘You know what? You want to join the Canadian Forces.’”

While the treatment of Canada’s wounded should be improving with the climbing casualties from the decade-long deployment to Afghanistan, it has actually gotten worse in some respects.

Paul Franklin, who lost both legs in a January 2006 suicide bombing, was actually one of the lucky ones.

Back in Canada, he was offered a choice between the outgoing system for disability payments – $4,000 a month for the remainder of his life – or compensation under the new system, a $250,000 lump sum payment.

“I did the math real quick and $4,000 a month works out to $2 million if I live 40 more years,” he said. “It was a no-brainer.”

Michael Barnewell, 29, injured just 10 months later, never had Franklin’s easy choice.

“With a lump sum payment, the problem is that it’s not enough. You either try to use it now and then it’s gone so you don’t have it for the future, or you try to invest it for the future and what do you do now?” he said. “Under that old system, when you get those payments, you’re just taken care of. It’s just such security. It’s always there. It just comes.’’

But that security has been eroded by tight-fisted officials and a Conservative government that promised to honour the country’s soldiers and veterans but has left them feeling abandoned, Stogran said.

Stogran chose against an outright attack on his elected political masters, but did circulate a 2002 Canadian Alliance political pamphlet in which then-leader Stephen Harper promises to defend Canadian soldiers the way that they have defended the country.

Speaking in Mississauga, the prime minister sidestepped the strident criticism from Strogan in recent days and said the government is open to suggestions that could improve future programs.

But like other federal watchdogs who have either been fired or undermined by the government, the Tories may just bide their time until Stogran’s term expires in November and his pulpit evaporates.

Until then, the ombudsman has made it clear he intends to make life difficult for the government by exposing what he calls the shameless treatment of Canada’s veterans and urging Canadians to advocate for change.

“These are your sons and daughters, your brothers and sisters. The time is now to do something about it. Make sure this government understands that this must stop.”

Honestly I cried on my drive home today hearing this finally became a issue. Todays vet's deserve a pension. And it was very emotional to hear someone else asking for it.

dogger1936 said:
Honestly I cried on my drive home today hearing this finally became a issue. Todays vet's deserve a pension. And it was very emotional to hear someone else asking for it.
A slow burn here, I am disgusted by this. No soldier should have to resort to the media to get what is rightfully theirs.

Nemo888 said:
I love this quote from Col. Strogan, “I was told by a senior Treasury Board analyst, who shall remain nameless, that it is in the government’s best interest to have soldiers killed overseas rather than wounded because the liability is shorter term.”
My  :2c: :  This message, no matter how it's mitigated or countered (one TB official doesn't speak for the department or the government; we as a government, do NOT stand by this statement; the opposition is playing this up for political benefit/opportunism; we passed the Veteran's Charter; here's what else we're doing....), is going to be very hard to shake - even at election time, whenever it comes.  Hell, a wild ass guess says it may even pop up in a Taliban statement down the road as they try to "encourage" (via lies) Canada to leave.

Some more tidbits from Stogran's Twitter feed post-news conference:

edited to add wild*** guess

Back