• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Colourful characters in the Corps (Past / Present) ???

WOW just came across this post and just got a trip in the past. I remember alot of these guys when I was RCD 77-83. Zeroooooo (Holden) he said that he was a kept man in Italy. I remember SnowFlake MacAdams......ran into his son who was the RSM for 1RNBR in Fredericton (looks just like the ole man) so many more to mention..........My last troop Sgt before I came back to Canada was Mike Hogan.

Mike Hogan is working as a Civie on Base in CFB Edmonton.

Ron Whitehall, Carl Cox and Donny Head are MWOs still in Pet.

Tom Skelding is a CWO down in Gagetown.

Gordie Hardiman has been found in Jakarta,  in the South Pacific.

A lot of characters going to the regular gatherings.

EX Ironsides should bring some out of the woodwork.

Scoty Brandt just joined this site.

So, one night, Gerhard N_____ and Tony(?) L_____ are out hunting rats along the Schuttern River.

They are carrying Anchutz junior model (tiny) .22 cal rifles.
They have fitted them with homemade silencers (I will withhold construction details to avoid giving Mike Bobbitt a heart attack).
They are using sub-sonic ammunition.
They are wearing CF NVGs.
They are stopped by the Polizei....

"Und vut are you dzoing..."

"We are hunting rats."

"Ratta?"  (see's dead rats - a LOT - along river bank)  "Jagdschein!"  (demanding hunting licence).

Canadians produce hunting licences, explain workings of NVGs and silencers (not illegal in Germany), and military ID.  German Police drive away, content.

Beat that ALBERTA!

Tom

ccdec said:
WOW just came across this post and just got a trip in the past. I remember alot of these guys when I was RCD 77-83. Zeroooooo (Holden) he said that he was a kept man in Italy. I remember SnowFlake MacAdams......ran into his son who was the RSM for 1RNBR in Fredericton (looks just like the ole man) so many more to mention..........My last troop Sgt before I came back to Canada was Mike Hogan.

I was there during that period. My last year I was RSM MacAdam's driver. I never had a better time, he kept me in stitches.............great guy
Also remember the rest area in the north marg, where you could order a beer (or cappi) to make it through the day.
A lot of great characters and no shortage of laughs, Sqn's were quite wealthy then and the parties were really something to remember.........and then there were the tank trains, but that may be a whole topic in itself!  :blotto:

So you would remember Gernsbech buying Heinekein at Coffee Break or Lunch time and putting it in the Microwave to warm it up?

Was it Groovy K_____ who would buy a Pizza at night, roll it up, put in his back pocket, and eat it the next day?

I'd always wished I'd thought of that first...

Tom

I have heard that story about Groovy.............must have some truth to it  ;D after all he was a very polished gentelman

about Gernsy, I can't confirm the beer heating thing. I know he could easily lift a 45 gal drum on a deuce. (ahhh... the green grenade for coffee break  :crybaby: the good 'ol days)

Then there was the time we almost sold Jim McNutt to some Danish sailors in Hamburg, we could have closed the deal if he didn't start making so much noise.  >:D

"Then there was the time we almost sold Jim McNutt to some Danish sailors in Hamburg, we could have closed the deal if he didn't start making so much noise."

- Had you closed the deal, they would have caused him to make a lot more noise!

;)

TCBF said:
Was it Groovy K_____ who would buy a Pizza at night, roll it up, put in his back pocket, and eat it the next day?

I'd always wished I'd thought of that first...

Tom

I can confirm that story. Groovy started doing that when we were all hanging around the Scotch Club in the early 70's. The German pizzas weren't as thick as ours and came in a bag, instead of a box. Groovy just found it easier to carry it rolled up in his pocket.

I spent most of my time at the Centre Marg after a year with A Sqn. Spent a bit of time with Regt Tpt with Mimi Lachance (mustache like Whitehall had or still has) and a cast of characters. Then the remaining time with RECCE. Capt Natinchuck (probably spelled it wrong, now Gen) Lt Ward (Gen now also I think) Capt Appleton (think George told me he was a Col, could be wrong) so many more but getting old and memory is fading lol. Remember going up on the carpet in front of LCol O'Connor (MND) with some of the guys for having shaved our heads one Friday night.  Who was the CO after him, the guy was tall and a judo black belt you had started hand to hand combat during the morning PT but ended I think because of injuries. Wrestled him during a Reforger...........I lost. Ribs were sore the next day. lol

I'm trying to think of the name of SSM for D Sqn 80-83 in that area. He saved my butt in front of the OC  and I received 21 days CB only after some adventure in Bergen Ohne. Thought for certain I was going to visit the DB. He passed away though. Better stop now increminating myself. Think I'll take the war helmet off now but those were good times. Were Bamby goes nothing grows.

ccdec said:
Remember going up on the carpet in front of LCol O'Connor (MND) with some of the guys for having shaved our heads one Friday night.  Who was the CO after him, the guy was tall and a judo black belt you had started hand to hand combat during the morning PT

I'm trying to think of the name of SSM for D Sqn 80-83 in that area. He saved my butt in front of the OC  and I received 21 days CB only after some adventure in Bergen Ohne. Thought for certain I was going to visit the DB. He passed away though.

After LCol O'Conner it was LCol Addy. LCOL Dean follwed and was into martial arts.......

SSM Rothenburg was with Recce in 80' perhaps you may be thinking of SSM Alt? (81? 82?)

After the 22 hour tank train ride, and a little partying we would arrive in Bergen Hohne, ready for some serious bar hopping. I remember the Bar in Celle (Stardust or something) always good for a recreational fight with the brits. Don Berry would move the giant stone in the basement and impress our foes...........

ccdec said:
I'm trying to think of the name of SSM for D Sqn 80-83 in that area. He saved my butt in front of the OC  and I received 21 days CB only after some adventure in Bergen Ohne. Thought for certain I was going to visit the DB. He passed away though. Better stop now increminating myself. Think I'll take the war helmet off now but those were good times. Were Bamby goes nothing grows.

There was a succession of them.  I remember Roy Lynk, Terry Swyers, and then Sterling Mercer as Recce SSMs in that period.

Hi, yes thanks it was LCol Dean. I had sever flashbacks...........wasn't the a WO Ballard with RECCE.

My brother would like this thread as he was a Hussar in Germany in the late 70's and early 80's.
What ever happened to Spanky the Cook?

Your brother was RCD, not Hussar!

I certainly remember him in A Sqn.

I was in Germany 79-84.

Lance Wiebe said:
Your brother was RCD, not Hussar!

I certainly remember him in A Sqn.

I was in Germany 79-84.
No Lance I alway's bug him about being a Dragoon. ;D
F you I'm a Hussar and alway's will be!
That's why posted as I did. ;)
Hussars and Dragoons with him are 2 differant beast's.

I just finished sinking a few with my brother and I told him about this thread.
His question is ;What ever happened to Col. Dean in the end?
Oh Tom I also nicked his sling shot. ;D

The sling shot made from IV tubing, Engineer-nicked plywood, four inches out of MY FN C1A1 sling?  The slingshot that just about got the two of us turned into soup by some VERY angry Turks with G3s?

Oh, THAT slingshot....

;D

Tom

Lets get a little modern....

Kevin Trainor
Bruce Bartlett
and the ever colourful Les Schultz

Trainor stories can go on for days.

And don't forget Dave Laybolt!

DG

Back