• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Arms DEO Applicants Information Exchange 18/19

LegioXEquestris

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

Like many of you, I have been stuck in the waiting games for a while now (see my signature for my application timeline). I try to take trips to my local recruiting center (Toronto) on a regular basis to keep tabs on my application and gather fresh info if available. Recently, a number of other applicants in similar situations reached out to me through private messages. Some useful information were exchanged, so I thought I might create a thread on this forum where we can share our findings publicly.

We are all rather concerned about selections (or a seemingly lack thereof) for the Combat trades DEOs – Infantry, Armour, and Artillery. Although the official line is that Combats DEO selections happen monthly, my conversations and email exchanges with recruitment staff at my local RC suggests that most selection dates end up with no Combats DEO picked out at all.

Applicant Process Timelines
Combing through application process samples from the last couple of years on this forum, I can find numerous samples for Air Force and Naval DEO selections. For Combats, however, there are hardly any. Of course, not all applicants make use of this site, and I realise that the lack of samples do not mean the absence of selections. Still, the applicant process timelines often provide valuable insights, so having them around definitely provide us certain clues as to when selections might take place in the year and which BMOQs they would be slotted into.

Right now I can find only one solid timeline for a successful Combats DEO applicant – that of Fitzzie’s:

Fitzzie said:
An update for those curious on Infantry Officer career progression time frames. Note the time between courses is usually a lot longer than what it took me, but the stars do align sometimes.
Trade Choice 1: Infantry Officer - DEO
Trade Choice 2: Pilot - DEO
Trade Choice 3: AEC - DEO
Applied: November, 2013
CFRC Contact: December 2013
CFAT Written: 03 July 2014
Medical: 02 March 2015
Interview: 17 March 2015
Aircrew Selection: 29 October 2015
Merit Listed: 02 November 2015 - INF O.
Update Medical: February 2016
Position offered: 11 July 2016 - Infantry Officer - DEO
Swearing in: 24 August 2016

Courses (all completed):
BMOQ: 05 September 2016 - December 2016
BMOQ-A: January 2017 - April 2017
IODP 1.1 (Phase 3): May 2017 - August 2017
IODP 1.2 (Phase 4): Sept 2017 - Dec 2017
Posted: Dec 2017 - Present

Given Fitzie’s timeline – which is fairly recent – we can deduce selections could take place in late June/early July, with the cadets slotted into the September BMOQ.

I also have another timeline for Infantry DEO. Since this was sent to me through private messaging, I won’t post most of the details. I will say, however, that this person was selected in September 2016 – very recently after being Competition Listed in Aug 2016 – and slotted into the Jan 2017 BMOQs. This seems to suggest that selections can take place in September as well for Combats.

Remaining 2018 BMOQs.
The remaining BMOQs for 2018 are L0004E & L0005F, starting Aug 27; and L0006E & L0007E, starting Sept 10 (please see http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school.page). All sources online seem to suggest that the two August serials are completely filled by now. Nevertheless, there is (as of today June 20) no solid evidence on whether the September serials remain open or not. The next BMOQs, presumably, would in Jan, 2019.

Combat DEO intake numbers 18/19
The 2018/19 DEO intake for the Combats are, according to Buck:
00178  ARMD    -    20
00179  ARTY    -    13
00180  INF    -    65

Once again according to Buck, selections did take place between 01 April and 30 May, seeing that the numbers for all 3 trades are no longer full.

Buck_HRA said:
As of today's date there are approx.
1) 95% positions remaining for DEO INF
2) 77% positions remaining for DEO ARTY
3) 95% positions remaining for DEO ARMD

Beyond quotable facts, much of what I say are merely my own speculations. Given how little information we can get out of the recruitment centers, however, I find that speculating is sometimes the best we can do. The point is, I want people to share whatever information they might have. It's fine if you are not a figure of authority or if you are not 100% sure of what you say is correct or not. We are all just a bunch of army hopefuls right now with access to a very limited pool of information. And, if you just want to talk about your experience so far, (without contributing "information"), that is absolutely fine too. We are all going though this process individually, and it sure can feel pretty tough - especially for those that have waited for a long time - but I find that it is often easier to navigate through these things with the support of others who are in similar situations. Anyway, best of luck and hopefully we will all get some news soon.

Hey,

I would suggest that you find if your file is competitive. The information you can have from your file vary a lot from the individuals your are talking too. Some will give you more. They will never tell you exactly where you are on the list, but one of them told me I was more or less the best on that lisy and it was only a matter of time before I would get an offer. That said, if you are low on that list, be prepared to wait much longer! DEO and ROTP are pretty much competitive from what I have seen!

Good luck

Hey Milerup,

I completely understand. In fact, I believe recruiting should allow for greater transparency in terms of letting applicants know where they stand, considering that those who made the List but are bottom ranked may never get a job offer. Therefore, it's often best that they focus on other opportunities elsewhere instead of playing a waiting game they have little of chance of winning - no matter how long they are willing to wait.

In my case, I found that if you wonder around your local RC looking like a lost puppy too many times, someone just might take pity on you and throw you a bone. My MCC did, anyway, and basically told me where I was on that List for DEO INF via email:

"...There are 65 applicants ready for selection... Of course as time runs on more individuals will be made “ready for competition” as they are processed.  The last selection date was 9 April, but it doesn’t look like anyone was selected.  The next selection date is 25 April.  Of all the individuals ready for selection you are number 2 on the list, meaning only one person has a higher military potential.  You are exceptionally competitive...."

I was told that I was very competitive right from the beginning, and one of the recruiters told me in March (verbally) that I was 2nd for Artillery as well. All of this makes me wonder why I haven't been selected yet, and whether they are actively seeking to recruit for the Combats 3. As browsing this forum made it clear to me, there has been no shortage of offers for other types of DEOs, particularly those in the RCAF and RCN.

I'm still convinced that trades are selected for BMOQ preceding their Phase 2, and also considering Second Language and Trades Training. Have you asked around when the next BMOQ-L would be scheduled?

gazorpazorpfield said:
I'm still convinced that trades are selected for BMOQ preceding their Phase 2, and also considering Second Language and Trades Training. Have you asked around when the next BMOQ-L would be scheduled?

I would also think so,the ENGR DEO selection was made around that time last year. From my own opinion, I think they do select monthly only the guys with TOP scores that passes by when they are exceptional. The rest at specific dates to fit with further training. But impossible to confirm.

LegioXEquestris said:
Hey Milerup,

I completely understand. In fact, I believe recruiting should allow for greater transparency in terms of letting applicants know where they stand, considering that those who made the List but are bottom ranked may never get a job offer. Therefore, it's often best that they focus on other opportunities elsewhere instead of playing a waiting game they have little of chance of winning - no matter how long they are willing to wait.

In my case, I found that if you wonder around your local RC looking like a lost puppy too many times, someone just might take pity on you and throw you a bone. My MCC did, anyway, and basically told me where I was on that List for DEO INF via email:

"...There are 65 applicants ready for selection... Of course as time runs on more individuals will be made “ready for competition” as they are processed.  The last selection date was 9 April, but it doesn’t look like anyone was selected.  The next selection date is 25 April.  Of all the individuals ready for selection you are number 2 on the list, meaning only one person has a higher military potential.  You are exceptionally competitive...."

I was told that I was very competitive right from the beginning, and one of the recruiters told me in March (verbally) that I was 2nd for Artillery as well. All of this makes me wonder why I haven't been selected yet, and whether they are actively seeking to recruit for the Combats 3. As browsing this forum made it clear to me, there has been no shortage of offers for other types of DEOs, particularly those in the RCAF and RCN.

Then it is a matter of time. Even if 1000 postulant was added, statistically you would still easily pass.

Hey guys,

Thank you for chipping in. I dropped by the RC today to confirm an updated medical, but was instead informed that I had been selected for Infantry DEO (BMOQ Jan 2019).

Apparently they are still drafting the offer as the selection was made so recently, but I guess the system does not lie. They told me to come back in two weeks for my medical, and the offer will be fully ready by then.

gazorpazorpfield said:

I did not consider the implications of second language training before. It definitely makes sense for them to slot recruits into BMOQs that minimise their wait times for the subsequent training phases. In terms of BMOQ L (Phase 2), I was not able to get too much information out of the recruiters. From applicant process samples, Fitzzie did their BMOQ starting Sept 2016 and Phase 2 starting in Jan 2017. From the other INF DEO timeline I have access to, the person was due to start their BMOQ in Jan 2017, which would suggest that another Phase 2 also starts from spring/summer. 

Milerup said:
I would also think so,the ENGR DEO selection was made around that time last year. From my own opinion, I think they do select monthly only the guys with TOP scores that passes by when they are exceptional. The rest at specific dates to fit with further training. But impossible to confirm.

That sounds reasonable. Because there is so much shroud of secrecy about selections, it's hard for us to know anything for sure. That's why I wish more people posted their timelines, just to help out those who are going through same process but are still waiting. I will update mine when more information is made available, but it looks like the wait is finally over.   

Congrats, it pays to be persistent! I emailed my RC every week, to their dismay, up until i got the call. But Jan BMOQ is still as good as any, its just gonna be cold though!

gazorpazorpfield said:
Congrats, it pays to be persistent! I emailed my RC every week, to their dismay, up until i got the call. But Jan BMOQ is still as good as any, its just gonna be cold though!

No complaints here about a Jan BMOQ. Besides, we are all going to be training for more than a year, so at some point we'll be freezing our butts off and it's better to get that part out of the way sooner rather than later.  :nod:

I definitely wouldn't have found out that I was selected if I didn't show up in person at the RC every now and then. Still some questions unanswered, but I guess I will find out the rest soon enough.

LegioXEquestris said:
No complaints here about a Jan BMOQ. Besides, we are all going to be training for more than a year, so at some point we'll be freezing our butts off and it's better to get that part out of the way sooner rather than later.  :nod:

I definitely wouldn't have found out that I was selected if I didn't show up in person at the RC every now and then. Still some questions unanswered, but I guess I will find out the rest soon enough.

Any news or developement for your selection?

Hey Milerup,

I just had my updated medical (today in fact). Gobbled up the contract on the spot.  :nod:

This is my final application process timeline. I will get rid of it in my signature from now on, and will also post another copy in the Application Process Samples thread. I will try to update it whenever new information becomes available, including the dates for BMOQ L and subsequent phases (which are not available as of now).

Recruiting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: DEO
Trade Choice #1: Infantry
Trade Choice #2: Armour
Trade Choice #3: Artillery
Initial Application: July 2016
First Contact and CFAT: August 2016
Reliability Screening Completed: April 2017
Pre-Sec Completed: October 2017
Interview: November 2017
Medical: November 2017
Competition Listed: November 2017
Selected (Infantry): Mid-June 2018
Updated Medical: 03 July 2018
Position Offered: 03 July 2018
Updated Reliability Screening: July 2018
Swearing In: 12 December 2018

Courses:
BMOQ: 21 January 2019 - ?
BMOQ-L:
IODP 1.1:
IODP 1.2:

I suspect that there are other Infantry (and Combat Arms) DEOs who have been selected but are not currently informed because the BMOQ dates are set so far away. File Manager doesn't know when Phase 2 starts, but said it would be at least 2 weeks after the completion of BMOQ.

LegioXEquestris said:
I suspect that there are other Infantry (and Combat Arms) DEOs who have been selected but are not currently informed because the BMOQ dates are set so far away. File Manager doesn't know when Phase 2 starts, but said it would be at least 2 weeks after the completion of BMOQ.

I thought dates for BMOQ 2019 were not out yet

Milerup said:
I thought dates for BMOQ 2019 were not out yet

Well, they are now.

"... you will be enrolled on 12 December 2018... you will be placed on leave without pay after your enrollment until your paid service commences on or around 19 January 2019 subject to service requirements (if applicable)... the intention is that you will be posted to the Canadian Forces Base Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School 03613 on 21 January 2019..."

It's a wait, that's for sure. Looking from the BMOQ 2018 thread, plenty of people (especially those in the air force) were getting their Jan 2018 offers back in May/June 2017.

LegioXEquestris said:
Well, they are now.

"... you will be enrolled on 12 December 2018... you will be placed on leave without pay after your enrollment until your paid service commences on or around 19 January 2019 subject to service requirements (if applicable)... the intention is that you will be posted to the Canadian Forces Base Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School 03613 on 21 January 2019..."

It's a wait, that's for sure. Looking from the BMOQ 2018 thread, plenty of people (especially those in the air force) were getting their Jan 2018 offers back in May/June 2017.

At least you will have plenty of time to prepare with nice winter vacation.

Milerup said:
At least you will have plenty of time to prepare with nice winter vacation.

Ha, a bit too much time if you ask me. And it's not like you Aug/Sept guys will get to spend Christmas and New Years running around in St. Jean either - everybody gets a nice winter vacation.

Hopefully they made the offer with the subsequent training phases in mind. I'm just glad to have received it, anyhow, so no complaints here. 

I forgot all about the holidays, sep bmoq guys are set to graduate on nov 29, so i dont know if were to be sent home or to the next phase right away

LegioCongrats ! looks like i wont be joinng you for infantry i think you are the only one who got it!  Ill see you in Jan though my friend !

gazorpazorpfield said:
I forgot all about the holidays, sep bmoq guys are set to graduate on nov 29, so i dont know if were to be sent home or to the next phase right away

No point starting your Phase 2 only to have it interrupted by the Xmas and New Year break. I'm pretty sure you'll be heading to Esquimalt about the same time I'm heading to St-Jean.  :nod: 

alpha-synuclein said:
LegioCongrats ! looks like i wont be joinng you for infantry i think you are the only one who got it!  Ill see you in Jan though my friend !

Haha, those bioscience people probably saw your qualifications and thought you were too good to let go. I'm really happy for you - after months of stressing out we finally got the good news. Keep in touch and see you in Jan, buddy! 

Back