• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineers

Marcotte said:
How was the 5 month course in Gagetown?

I've only been at regiment for a year now, but I'd be happy to share some of my opinions.

1.)How was the 5 month course in Gagetown?

-It was the hardest thing I've done in my career thus far. Mind you I've yet to be deployed overseas. It gets pretty miserable at times, however
you also get a chance to do some very cool things many trades are jealous of. The harder your course, the better that feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

2.) How is Gagetown specifically?

-I wasn't a fan. Towards_the_gap hit the nail on the head. I was happy to get there from basic, and I was much, much happier to get out.
Mind you you'll get some good stories out of it.

3.) How do you like your posting?

-As an anglophone posted to a french regiment it was challenging when I first arrived, although there are a good number of us here now. I was lucky enough
to be provided with some french language training. This upcoming year is loaded with exercises, which I personally prefer over being in a building all day. The ladies
here are something ;)

4.) Whats your typical day like?

-At the sapper level we generally do PT in the mornings, followed by some small task, lunch, wait to be tasked out doing some other random job that needs to be done.
We are given a pretty high level of autonomy.

5.) How often are you out of the country (USA?) training?

I've yet to be out, but I've got some friends who have gotten a course or two down south, maybe an attachment to another regiment on an exercise.

6.) What do you like the most about the trade? What do you like the least?

I enjoy the variety of tasks we get while on ex.
I hate sweeping.

Haha, thanks a lot!

I take it you are posted to Valcartier? I know about the ladies, I live in Quebec City :p

Once again, thanks, much appreciated.

mmmjon said:
Hello,

I applied back in September of 2011 and I recently passed my interview and got Merit Listed. I was just wondering how life is as a Combat Engineer.

Haha, hopefully you find out soon enough. Dont rot on PAT, and work hard. It was a great time....looking back.

How is Gagetown specifically?

The one horse in it ran away ages ago, whats that tell you?

How do you like your posting?

Alot

Whats your typical day like?

PT in the Morning, general taskings throughout the day.

How often are you out of the country (USA?) training?

I havent been yet. Heard theres some.

What do you like the most about the trade? What do you like the least?

The people to get to know and work with

I'm just looking for some insight as I am very excited to finally be apart of the CF.

Good luck. Have fun with it!

Thanks,
Jon.

Thanks, McD. Much appreciated. Its good to hear about what I have to look forward to.

If anyone else wants to add anything, you're more than welcome to. Myself and other applicants are more than happy to hear about your experiences.

mmmjon said:
It was slightly longer when I did mine, at times I liked it and times I hated it. I would not want to do it again by any stretch of the imagination, but it gives you something to break the ice with when you get to a regiment.

How is Gagetown specifically?
Oromocto (Gagetown is the base Oromocto is the town that sprung up around it) is small suburb that is like a lot of small towns near an army base. Most guys take trips into Frederiction when they can, but that will cost ya $50 for a round trip cab ride.

How do you like your posting?
I was posted to Gagetown and I think I lucked out. Most courses (career and otherwise) I have been able to do here so that is less time from home and has let me have a good family life.

Whats your typical day like?
I'll give you what a typical Spr's day is like: Show up for PT at 0730, work out till 0810, back to work at 0930, either maintain equipment or get tasked with a small or be put on a regimental course, Lunch at 1145, back to work at 1300, do what you did before lunch untill 1530 or 1600.

How often are you out of the country (USA?) training?
I was in Virginia last month for a week for training, on average about once or twice every two years.

What do you like the most about the trade? What do you like the least?
The job is very varied, for 6 months I could be in EOD training with robots and bomb suits, 6 months later I could be in a field troop in a LAV going cross country in the training area. What I like the least is at times the tempo can really pick up you can go from 3 week field ex to 4 week summer tasking to a 2 month course at CFSME with as much as 4 days in between.

I spent 10 years as a field engineer, now combat engineer....there is nothing typical about the military, its a great life, great career, great family and if i was young again, i would do it all over again, ever basic training.

sgt Joe retired

i wanted to know if there are any courses for combat engineers. infantry has snipers, recce, etc.

No.  Once they do their trade training, they are hidden away in a darkened hanger.  8)

Well,  you know about some specialties/courses as you asked about them awhile ago such as Diver and Para
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23226/post-1192818.html#msg1192818

As well,  some of the other courses/specialties were mentioned in another thread of yours.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108434/post-1191517.html#msg1191517

Also take a look here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103901.0.html

MC

I've searched around this entire forum extensivley and I cant seem to get a direct question to my answer about Combat Engineer's.
How often do Combat Engineer's see combat, and how much compared to Infantry? and if Combat Engineer's are used in combat often how are they applied aside from things like route recce and combat diving?

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here.

How often they see combat depends on the theatre and their employment.  For example if they were attached to a Combat Team/Rifle Company say during Op Medusa then they saw their share of combat.  They can be used for breaching(making holes in walls, etc),  blowing IEDs, etc.  There is also the Combat Engineers who do more of the construction type roles like building up FOBs,  etc  We had Engineers helping build up our COP, etc.  There was also Engineers as part of the BG QRF,  some worked in the BG TOC at ESCC.  I'm quite sure I'm missing a number of other roles they fill.

You will probably want to look around the Engineer sub forum within this section(Combat Arms)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,5.0.html

Try here.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,5.0.html
Skeletor beat me to it.

I'm finding a bit more in the sub forums but not much, im looking at where reservist training would take me as i am considering a civilian career in law enforcement. i know engineers get combat training but would this trade be a good choice or should i consider infantry

CadetPAT said:
I'm finding a bit more in the sub forums but not much, im looking at where reservist training would take me as i am considering a civilian career in law enforcement. i know engineers get combat training but would this trade be a good choice or should i consider infantry

Going off the little info you have given,  no one can say you should go without a doubt into the Infantry or Engineers.  Do some research on both trades,  go visit the local Infantry and Engineer units in your area,  ask questions.  Sit down and consider everything you have learned and make a choice.

CadetPAT said:
im looking at where reservist training would take me as i am considering a civilian career in law enforcement.

Can you clarify this?  Are you wondering if any of the training will be applicable to becoming a LEO?

Yes, I am wondering which specialty would applicable or more applicable to Law Enforcement Officers

Not sure if the Infantry or Combat Engineer trades will many skill sets specific to themselves that will directly translate to becoming a Police Officer.  In both trades you can learn some good skills and experience that can be beneficial for LEO and other careers.  IMO pick the trade that interests you,  not the one you think may look better for becoming a cop.

There are Police Officers that have no military experience,  some that are ex Combat Arms as well as some that are ex Combat Support/CSS.  I don't think the police would see any trade as better over another.

I am considering Infantry as the trade from the looks of it solely based on combat and tactics and i am not too sure if combat engineers do as much combat training...if any engineers or infanteers could offer their .02 on this it would be greatly appretiated

Engineers allow the troops to move and fight in the field, and deny the same to the enemy. Simples.

Back