• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Medic - Continuing Education Courses After DP1

knowr

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
I'm curious to get some insights as to some of the courses available to Combat Medics after DP1.

Any Combat Medics here willing to share some insights regarding interesting courses and career/specialization directions after completing DP1?
 
Not a Combat Medic, but work with a lot of them. I also saw a list put out not that long ago talking about this providing advice to CO's after the Combat Medical Training Depot graduations.

After DP1 I would look at:

Clinical Skills:

Maintenance of Clinical Readiness Program (including 90 day checklists)
ITLS
ITLS-Pediatrics
ITLS-Access
Combat Medic Workshop (once a year - running right now in Kingston) - this thing is golden (clinical and military skills including ITLS)
Clinical Continuing Professional Development Workshops / conferences / seminars - check HQ CPD Web page
Prehospital Cold Weather Medicine Course (coming out in Jan / Feb?)
Teach on a Combat First Aid (TCCC-ASM) Course
Teach on a TCCC Provider (TCCC-CLS) Course
Casualty simulation training course.
Self reading on topics of clinical interest / importance / not well understood (Anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, babies, kids, burns, etc.)
Self reading on knowing your Protocol and Procedures manual inside and out.

Military Skills:

Driver Wheel Course (LSVW, MSVS Cargo, LUVW) with trailer and ambulance and dangerous good qualification.
ACSV Driver Course
Cold Weather Operator Course
Light Over Snow Vehicle Operator Course
Dismounted Comms Course
Mounted Comms Course
Skill-at-Arms Workshops (Next one is in March? in Petawawa and is 3-4 days of Survival / Evade)
IBTS Online courses (10 of them I think)
Close Quarter Combat - Basic (if you can find one being run by a combat arms unit)
Some self map and compass work - How can I practice land nav for BMOQA

When you are about 12 months out to your Corporal Course then you should start doing some other stuff to get ready for it. (Clinic rotations, reading on primary care topics, etc).

I hope that is of some help. Let me know if you need more information and I can ask around / ask the Sr. CMD here.

MC
 
Back
Top