• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat support unit defence questions

Well said MSE_OP18!!

Carey,
    The situation will dictate how readily available your weapon is. For instance you would use the weapons' racks while moving on civilian roads here in Canada during an administrative road move.(my understanding is that it is very intimidating to Cdn Citizens, if we have our wpns at the ready. This in turn would cause even more unnecessary and detrimental media coverage towards the CF.) In an explosively hostile environment like Iraq, chances are the co-driver (and other passengers) would have one in the spout, safety on and at the ready. Due diligence at all times, know your working environment.

Cheers  :mg:

Don't confuse people too much. Hostile theatres and our Wpns State is dictated by higher when leaving camp. Once a "Hostile Act" or a "Hostile Intent" has been recognized then actions towards that threat will be taken.....ROE's.

MSE_OP18,

Thanks for the correction....but I was just trying to explain that there is a reason for the weapon racks in the vehs.

Cheers  :mg:

Carey said:
Personally I think very little consideration is put on how to quickly react under fire while moving. My favorate example of this lack of oversight is where the rifle rack for the middle passenger in the LSVW is ???
How could you provide effective fire while on the move with most of our non-AFV?  Iltis with top down, OK but if the rifle is in the rack try and get it out and use it with or without the superstructure.  Do the same with the LSVW, MLVW and HLVW?  If the tactical situation is such that an attack can be expected, you should not stow your wpns and your windows should be open.  The best defense is your gas pedal and your contact drills.

Colin P said:
Are the lessons being learned in Iraq regarding the protection and defence of support units being learned , disseminated and put into practice?

Are units receiving any extra equipment?

Any changes in training?

Has NDHQ even figured out that this is a problem?

I am thinking of questions I can ask the various candidates during the next election. thanks

No.
No.
Yes, based upon political epediency, without listening to the needsof the Cf or the "Hat in Hand" requests from NDHQ.
Yes.

Hylander_ca said:
Any changes in training? Yes

1 Svc Bn has and is currently perfecting actions on drills. We are in the midst of changing the doctrine on how we Trucker's do business. We have implemented the "Gun Truck" a HLVW with a min of 1 x C-6 (mounted on a base in the center of the box) 4 x C-9's and 3 x C-7's....With the "Gun Truck" commander up in the cab's hatch opting for a C-7 or a C-9. We have even gone as far as beefing up an Iltis as a scout veh with a couple of C-9's. When I went to Borden on my 5's it was interesting to take a step back in my trg and do the old actions on drills...especially when it will be changing country wide in the near future.

Hope so. The worst thing, right now, for all of us, is if we stifle new ideas, and the second worst, to ignore the lessons learned from almost a hundred years of the trade.

George Wallace said:
Here is a US Army Gun Truck solution:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/10427810.htm

GW

COOL. COOOL!!!

Steve McQueen COOL!

How soon can you go into mass production?

Back