• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Vehicle Crew Helmet

AaronJohnTurner

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, these things are now in circulation. However, NDHQ in their infinite wisdom seem to have  only ordered two sizes from Garneau, Medium and Large. With all adjustment bands and straps fully loosened I'm a solid 2 inches from buckling the helmet up, so I refused to sign for one at the SQ. I may have a freakishly large head, but you'd think they'd plan for things like this.  ::)

Anyone  who's head actually fits inside one of these have a chance to wear it while on the move yet?

cvcmh-cmevc.jpg

http://www.materiel.forces.gc.ca/en/cts-cvcmh.page

Alright... I'm going to state the obvious... holy shit that thing is ugly!

I hope it works better than it looks :D

Tpr Bootstrap said:
Anyone  who's head actually fits inside one of these have a chance to wear it while on the move yet?
Was issued it, took it on ex, a week later it was broken in two places.

Along the back where the helmet meets the straps there is a a connector made of a thin piece of plastic. How long do thin pieces of plastic last in the field? Not long.

Great concept, poor execution.

Ludoc,  you don't need to quote the whole post and picture...

Also,  did you submit any paperwork about the failure of the helmet?

Ooops, my mistake. Edit incoming.

I've talked to my stores man and he is going to walk me through the process of submitting the proper paperwork to the correct personnel. I know that problems won't get solved if they aren't identified.

Wow. Did anybody do the step test on this item.

Step test= How many times it can can be stepped on when sitting on a crew seat.

Only problem with an Armoured Crew Specific Helmet....You'll now be carrying two helmets into battle because as soon as you climb out of the vehicle you'll need to put the normal issued one on...or risk having your head torn off by the RSM or SSM.  Generally this will deter all but the gunner in a tank from having a specific helmet from being used inside the vehicle.  From what I understand USA army tankers have two helmets as well...how that all plays out in the field I don't know. 

I'm more concerned that the model (a civvy perhaps, with a photo taken by a civvy?) has his combat shirt buttoned all the way up to the top.

The only time I've ever seen that before was on a CIC officer in the St Paddy's day parade in Montreal, in public.

It could have been worse - he could have been in the same goofy pose as the dummy in the ICU/ECU photos.

Bzzliteyr said:
I'm more concerned that the model (a civvy perhaps, with a photo taken by a civvy?) has his combat shirt buttoned all the way up to the top.
No.  The top button is not done up as you can see that the left side of the collar slopes away & to the left starting from a point below the button. It is just an illusion caused by the right side of the collar sitting higher than it should be.

DLR uses its own pers for these sorts of hero photos.

MCG said:
No.  The top button is not done up as you can see that the left side of the collar slopes away & to the left starting from a point below the button. It is just an illusion caused by the right side of the collar sitting higher than it should be.

DLR uses its own pers for these sorts of hero photos.

Fact.  My old eyes played tricks on me.  Carry on as if I were normal...

Back