• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coming Soon to an MRE near you

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
MREs get a new kick with caffeinated jerky and Zapplesauce

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/caffeinated-jerky-and-zapplesauce-adding-kick-to-the-militarys-tough-to-swallow-mre/2011/10/27/gIQAtI9aTM_story_1.html

And now, from the folks who developed the atomic bomb, Kevlar underwear and the Humvee, presenting the latest in war-fighting technology:

Caffeinated meat.

That’s right, an Army lab here is testing a beef jerky stick that looks and tastes just like your average Slim Jim but contains an equivalent of a cup of coffee’s worth of caffeine to give even the sleepiest soldier that up-and-at-’em boost.

In addition to caffeine, military technologists are lacing food with supplements such as omega 3s and curcumin, which act as anti-inflammatories. Maltodextrin, a complex carbohydrate that gives service members a little turbo charge, is injected into an amped-up applesauce called Zapplesauce.

[tangent]
Slim Jim's suck. Mostly fat, nitrates and other chemicals. I like our's better. At least it resembles real beef jerky.  ;)
[/tangent]

cupper said:
MREs get a new kick with caffeinated jerky and Zapplesauce

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/caffeinated-jerky-and-zapplesauce-adding-kick-to-the-militarys-tough-to-swallow-mre/2011/10/27/gIQAtI9aTM_story_1.html

And now, from the folks who developed the atomic bomb, Kevlar underwear and the Humvee, presenting the latest in war-fighting technology:

Caffeinated meat.

That’s right, an Army lab here is testing a beef jerky stick that looks and tastes just like your average Slim Jim but contains an equivalent of a cup of coffee’s worth of caffeine to give even the sleepiest soldier that up-and-at-’em boost.

In addition to caffeine, military technologists are lacing food with supplements such as omega 3s and curcumin, which act as anti-inflammatories. Maltodextrin, a complex carbohydrate that gives service members a little turbo charge, is injected into an amped-up applesauce called Zapplesauce.

When I was down in Haiti a number of years ago, the flight surgeon I worked with had a friend that was a research geek scientist with DRDC in human factors stuff - they sent us the last test batch of caffiene gum that they were testing.  Can't remember the dose, think it was 60mg or so of caffiene, but you'd chew it for only 15 minutes then spit it out.  It tasted like really crappy Big Red, and left me running around like Sheldon doing a Flash imitation on Big Bang Theory.  Anyway, I decided I knew just he folks that would want to stay awake at night -  out sniper det.  One like it and the other didn't all that much - got him too jumpy and shakey.  Haven't seen the stuff since.

MM

medicineman said:
When I was down in Haiti a number of years ago, the flight surgeon I worked with had a friend that was a research geek scientist with DRDC in human factors stuff - they sent us the last test batch of caffiene gum that they were testing.  Can't remember the dose, think it was 60mg or so of caffiene, but you'd chew it for only 15 minutes then spit it out.  It tasted like really crappy Big Red, and left me running around like Sheldon doing a Flash imitation on Big Bang Theory.  Anyway, I decided I knew just he folks that would want to stay awake at night -  out sniper det.  One like it and the other didn't all that much - got him too jumpy and shakey.  Haven't seen the stuff since.

MM

Sounds like you're chewing it right now. ;D

Might as well be - someone hit a nerve about something and got me pretty riled...a med student might mistake me for someone that's a little manic or tweeking out on crack or meth or both  :pumpkin:.

MM

medicineman said:

MM

I was part of the Range Staff for the "Gum Trial" in Petawawa in 2003. I don't remember the specifics of the entire trial, but after a few days of sleep deprivation, the users would arrive at the Range well after dark. They would then lay on the Firing Point and wait for their Target to pop up (twice in an hour). Only time I ever listened to people snoring on a weapons range :)

armybuck041 said:
I was part of the Range Staff for the "Gum Trial" in Petawawa in 2003. I don't remember the specifics of the entire trial, but after a few days of sleep deprivation, the users would arrive at the Range well after dark. They would then lay on the Firing Point and wait for their Target to pop up (twice in an hour). Only time I ever listened to people snoring on a weapons range :)

Sounds like the gum worked quite well. :nod:

It ekpt you up long enough to hear all of the test subjects fall asleep. ;D

Back