• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commentary "Why No One Should Join the Canadian Forces"

RoyalDrew said:
Read some of the comments on Huffpost, bunch of folks calling him out for inaccuracies.  Of course he also had the usual suspects supporting him.  He had the potential to be seen as an actual advocate for veterans, instead he will be seen as an NDP stooge.  He is a reservist corporal with extremely limited knowledge of the inner workings of the institution.  In other words, he is a faux expert and an even worse one than Scott Taylor, who at least has built up some shred of credibility.

What do I think is funny about this?  Is this really the best the NDP can muster?  Liberals hired the former Commander of the Canadian Army and this is what they give us?

So because he is lower ranking and a reservist somehow means he has a very limited knowledge of the institution? Hmm so what does that make every politician who has never served in the military  but runs then? The article also focuses on VAC which Bruce has a large knowledge of. Sorry but to judge someone on rank and pull the reservist card is utter bs especially when you don"t know everything about someone. I don't believe I have seen on this forum an article that has been posted and written by the media or former military members that someone isn't calling some sort of bs on.

I guess everyone is there own expert.

Teager said:
The article also focuses on VAC which Bruce has a large knowledge of.

I would disagree on the above: he has knowledge only within the scope of his OWN dealings with VAC. He knows of what fell within his arcs, which would not account for a "large" knowledge thereof.

I've been working for VAC for almost ten years, and would never claim to have a large knowledge of the Department. There are many doors here, with many programs and benefits, some I have not worked in yet in said ten years.

My CAF knowledge is also limited to what I have gleaned in my five years of service (to date). Ergo, not large either.

Teager said:
So because he is lower ranking and a reservist somehow means he has a very limited knowledge of the institution? Hmm so what does that make every politician who has never served in the military  but runs then?

Yep, it does.  As for your second question, it makes them politicians. 

The article also focuses on VAC which Bruce has a large knowledge of. Sorry but to judge someone on rank and pull the reservist card is utter bs especially when you don"t know everything about someone. I don't believe I have seen on this forum an article that has been posted and written by the media or former military members that someone isn't calling some sort of bs on.

He should have stayed in his lane then and commented on Veterans Affairs itself.  Instead he throws out a bunch of cheap shots at the CF, most of which are easily disproven or blatantly untrue.   

I feel bad about how he was treated by VAC but take that up with them, don't drag our organization through the mud just to promote your own agenda. 

This guy is now a charlatan in my eyes.     

RoyalDrew said:

He should have stayed in his lane then and commented on Veterans Affairs itself.  Instead he throws out a bunch of cheap shots at the CF, most of which are easily disproven or blatantly untrue.   

I feel bad about how he was treated by VAC but take that up with them, don't drag our organization through the mud just to promote your own agenda. 

You're entitled to your opinion of course, I'll not try change that. Bruce is also entitled to his.

To me he's an injured brother that is trying to overcome immense physical and mental problems and odds. He is moving on and trying to make a difference, whether you agree with his methods and reasoning or not. That's all fair ball and he gets my utmost support for it.

However, what I won't tolerate, opinions aside, are assholes that call him names and treat him with the utmost disrespect and animosity for his beliefs. That includes those that want to banter about his grammar or forgetting detail and names. Lose part of your brain and see how you make out.

RoyalDrew said:

I see it differently.  He didn't take shots at the CAF and its members IMHO.  He took shots that the GOC for its conduct as the control and employment mechanism which governs the CAF. 

I don't feel he shone a poor light on those of us in the CAF. 

Teager said:
So because he is lower ranking and a reservist somehow means he has a very limited knowledge of the institution? Hmm so what does that make every politician who has never served in the military  but runs then? The article also focuses on VAC which Bruce has a large knowledge of. Sorry but to judge someone on rank and pull the reservist card is utter bs especially when you don"t know everything about someone. I don't believe I have seen on this forum an article that has been posted and written by the media or former military members that someone isn't calling some sort of bs on.

I guess everyone is there own expert.
Some people have reflexive need to discredit people say bad things about the military. They see people who bring up points like this as the enemy who hate the military. Look at my post history, I have said some pretty critical things about the way we do business. However, I really do love this institution and will probably only leave when they show my old butt the door. Speaking out for change can be done from a place of hope rather than just sour grapes.

recceguy said:
You're entitled to your opinion of course, I'll not try change that. Bruce is also entitled to his.

To me he's an injured brother that is trying to overcome immense physical and mental problems and odds. He is moving on and trying to make a difference, whether you agree with his methods and reasoning or not. That's all fair ball and he gets my utmost support for it.

However, what I won't tolerate, opinions aside, are assholes that call him names and treat him with the utmost disrespect and animosity for his beliefs. That includes those that want to banter about his grammar or forgetting detail and names. Lose part of your brain and see how you make out.

I do feel bad for him for what he went through, however, he has presented an argument which has stretched the truth in some instances and blatantly lied in others.  He has used deception to further an agenda, that is the very definition of a charlatan which is why I called him one.

Contrast this, with a guy like Major Mark Campbell who sticks to the facts, uses the proper channels i.e. the legal system, and is probably going to make a far larger difference for Veterans.  Now that is a man I can stand behind.

Tcm621 said:
Some people have reflexive need to discredit people say bad things about the military. They see people who bring up points like this as the enemy who hate the military. Look at my post history, I have said some pretty critical things about the way we do business. However, I really do love this institution and will probably only leave when they show my old butt the door. Speaking out for change can be done from a place of hope rather than just sour grapes.

See my above post, I don't have problems with anyone speaking up but speak to facts, not to half truths and false-argumentations.  In other words, act like the professional soldier you are trained to be. 

I have read the article several times. Yes it is along the lines of being a very This is my political agenda piece"

But I dont recall him Making the CAF members look like poor soldiers, more of the opposite of doing their jobs the best they can despite funding.

More of the GoC is taking away critical components with budgetary restraints.

Thats how I see it.

And yes, VAC needs a kick in the ass too.

Halifax Tar said:
I see it differently.  He didn't take shots at the CAF and its members IMHO.  He took shots that the GOC for its conduct as the control and employment mechanism which governs the CAF. 

I don't feel he shone a poor light on those of us in the CAF.

I just went back and re-read the article and read it twice just to make sure I got the gist of what he was saying. 

Your absolutely right that he didn't take a cheap shot at the CAF specifically and I will retract my above comment, ref "cheap shots"

However, he still presented a series of false arguments and half-truths so I stand by what I said about him being a charlatan.

Again, contrast his "Opinion Piece" with a guy like Major Mark Campbell's who sticks to facts and uses the legal system to fight the good fight.  Now that is a man I can stand behind.

RoyalDrew said:
What do I think is funny about this?  Is this really the best the NDP can muster?  Liberals hired the former Commander of the Canadian Army and this is what they give us?

Whom the Liberals have trotted out doesn't impress me any more than this man does you.  Mr. Leslie, is lame and I honestly shudder at the thought of the Dauphin getting in and having him as his MND.  Makes my skin crawl, the thought does.

The alternatives to what we have right now don't particularly impress me, either.  I'll be the guy in the voting booth holding his nose, while thinking "Change > Status quo" the whole time.  I'm ready to give someone else a shot...not sure who, but that'll depend on what unfolds before the election.

I'm buggered if I know what to do for once in an election.  I don't really like any of the choices put before me.  It may come down to the lessor of the three evils.

jollyjacktar said:
Whom the Liberals have trotted out doesn't impress me any more than this man does you.  Mr. Leslie, is lame and I honestly shudder at the thought of the Dauphin getting in and having him as his MND.  Makes my skin crawl, the thought does.

The man doesn't impress me at all, it's more so his credentials which carry a certain amount of credibility and weight when he speaks. 

Politicians are all cut from the same cloth regardless of what party they are from or platform they support.  They will say and do whatever they need to in order to get elected.  I don't like any of them as they lack honor, however, they are unfortunately a necessary evil. 

I am interested to see what will happen to DND if Leslie gets elected and is appointed MND.  Probably be similar to when Gordon O'Connor was MND i.e. "I don't need to listen to my advisers, I used to be a General, I know best!"

jollyjacktar said:
I'm buggered if I know what to do for once in an election.  I don't really like any of the choices put before me.  It may come down to the lessor of the three evils.

Imagine if the whole nation decided NOT TO VOTE.  >:D

I have no doubt that he would be running roughshod over everyone and then some.  God, how I hate that guy.  Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him fall flat on his face so hard he knocks out his chicklets.

George Wallace said:
Imagine if the whole nation decided NOT TO VOTE.  >:D
That thought has crossed my mind as a serious option.

Whole nation not voting would never happen.

As a nation the only thing we riot and protest it seems is hockey losses and celebratory riots for hockey victories. That's the organizational capacity we have when it comes to nation wide events.

Back