• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commercial Pilot Licence ( CPL )

Speedalive said:
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Mario!

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Im sorry to dig up an old thread, but if you have a CPL, do you have to skip BFT? What if they cover things that I didn’t do in the civvie world like aerobatics? I wouldn’t want to be at a disadvantage going forward just because I had some prior flying experience.

During ACS we were briefed during a break that CPLs no longer get a by-pass in phase 1. I believe it came down to a case by case situation or they scrapped the by-pass altogether. In any case, I believe it would be beneficial to get a taste of the military way of flight instruction even if all bases were covered in your CPL.

Roger123 said:
During ACS we were briefed during a break that CPLs no longer get a by-pass in phase 1. I believe it came down to a case by case situation or they scrapped the by-pass altogether. In any case, I believe it would be beneficial to get a taste of the military way of flight instruction even if all bases were covered in your CPL.

I skipped Ph1 and was not at any disadvantage. It’s too bad the bypass is no longer granted. Someone with experience would want to gouge their eyes out at portage

The Phase 1 bypass can still be granted to someone who holds a CPL, but it's not automatic. It's determined on a case by case basis, and I believe it's based in part on the recency of your flying experience. A friend of mine just got the bypass, whereas someone else I know who had a CPL/MIFR did not get the bypass as he had not flown in a couple years.

For reference to the discussion, previous flying experience is also discussed here,

Bad habits developed by civilian pilots 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/103528.0
2 pages.

Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

Speedalive said:
I've been getting mostly A's in class with a 3.75 GPA so going to Jazz right after graduation is a real possibility, but I don't think I want to rush into the airline world anymore. A number of my friends have gone straight to the airlines after graduation, but after about a year, I get the impression that the novelty has worn out for them and that they're bored out of their minds. The thought of that puts me off (also being paid 25k after tax and having to live in Vancouver or Toronto and somehow being able to afford rent and food).

I can only speak from my experience. But I flew for a regional and there were plus and minus'. If you already know you don't want to make ramen $ flying jets, the military is probably the better route. Your friends are right the novelty goes away after a while. It went away after a few months for me. living in a rollaboard, eating fastfood and dealing with the low pay were just some of the glaring negatives. I'd say join the military, your young enough that you could still go the airlines if the military thing doesn't work out. The regionals will always be looking for bodies. I have zero mil experience, but I'm sure it isn't as bad as working for a regional. Nothing is!

Back