• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Army Phase

chaos75 said:
There on the DIN at the Infantry School website.   If you refer to your course message, there is an address listed.

Is there anyway this info could be passed on to those of us who don't have access to the DIN on a regular basis?  BTW, there is a MOD version of CAP being run at the Inf school this summer starting Jun 27.  It's different than the full five week May start CAP in that you take three mods that absolutely must be done at Gagetown- different than the first three mods of a regular CAP.  It remains to be seen if the two remaining mods will be available behind regimental/brigade lines and if they are required before you start DP1.

If anyone needs joining instructions, message me with your email and I will send them.

Since they told me that i dont have to redo the recruit course (that i've done in 94), i'll do the CAP this summer.

But for what i've heard, the french course will start only the 27 june and will not necessarly be at Gagetown.

So my question is?

do somebody have info about that?

And why the french course in different than the english one?

I did my cap this past sept.

Seems to me that the intensity level of the course is entirely dependent on your staff.  Mine were pretty hardcore, but they didn't dish out too much bs past beyond the first month, which was nice.  It's always the bs that gets to me.

1st month and a bit were in garrison.  Lots of cock, lots of PT, lots of cleaning, etc etc.  I'm sure you know the drill.  The 1st month was pretty tough.  PT pretty much every morning.  It was nuts.  It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll be cb'd for the first 2 weeks.  Beyond that we were only cb'd once or twice.  If you don't die in the 1st month you should be good to go :)

After that comes the field stuff.  I think there were 6 consecutive weeks in the field.  M-F only.  As best I can remember, it went:

1st wk - range wk (c7, c9, grenades, 9mm).  March back to garrison every night.  4-8km depending on how many circles you go in :).  They'll probably give you some stretchers with a ton of sandbags for at least one of the marches.
2nd wk - basic fieldcraft (learn the equipment, field movement, stalking, intro to section attacks, refresh on map/compass).  Lots of bug outs and the like.  You'll probably get a bit of sleep though.
3rd wk - map/compass/gps.  This was our killer week.  It's like they gave you a map and compass on Monday and you don't stop until Fri.  One good thing about this week is that you get to spend a lot of time on your own.  As long as you're not prone to getting lost this can be a good thing.  I've always been quick with map&compass so I managed to squeeze in a few naps here and there.  I even managed to find a pay phone and made a call to my gf :)
4th/5th/6th wk - Things start to get blurry here.  It was supposed to be Section Attacks, Recce Patrols, and then Defensive wk, but with all the retests and lack of time it ended up being a big mix of everything in the 6th wk.  There was one guy who didn't do his Section Attack retest until the last day in the field.  The bus was already there and waiting (an exceptional occurence btw ... you usually march back at least most of the way).  These weeks were tough.  The weather will be crap and you won't be getting any sleep at all.  I only pulled out my sleeping back twice during those last 3 wks, and I quickly had to repack it the 2nd time :)

The following week is range instruction wk.  It's a piece of cake.  Just make sure you do your orders (you'll start them like a month prior) and you'll be fine.  No one fails this part.  We got to do a bunch of fun shoots that week as well. 

The last week is spent cleaning up and doing admin stuff.  You also have the Cowling Cup competition which includes the 13k march.  Easiest part of the course :)

some tips:
1.  Don't cock yourself.  Don't stay up all night polishing the brass on the floor.  Don't clean anything until you get caught on it.  Do the essential stuff and go to bed early.  Clean your rifle, clean you boots, and make your bed.  Our room was almost never up past 11.  Other ppl would be up until 1 or 2.
2.  Don't give up.  No matter what your level of physical fitness, you'll do fine just as long as you don't give up.  Sure, it'll be tougher for your if you're not in good shape, but you won't fail because of it.
3.  Print the notes up from the CTC website before you get there.  You won't have time to copy everything done in class.  It's much easier to just make notes on the notes as you go.  Great for studying too (3 written tests: offfensive ops, defensive ops, and patrols).  Send me your email address if you need any of the notes.
4.  Don't stress out about the small stuff.  Considering you used to be in the reserves, I'm sure you know this.  Just thought I'd mention it to anyone else.  So many people just got so caught up on details that they couldn't focus on the task at hand.  Couldn't see the forest from the trees.
5.  Bring snack food with you.  Most staff will be ok with this, just as long as you don't rely on it too much.  Every Sunday, I'd make a trip to the Bulk Barn and stock up.  Helps with the morale too.  If you want to get the best out of your patrol, give them some snack food during orders :)
6.  Gucci kit.  Some people will go nuts for this stuff.  Everyone will be scrambling around the week before the field trying to get a Stealth Suit :)  Unless you're Infrantry, you don't need one.  Stuff you should get though:  lots of gloves (black or dark green), some hand warmers ($1 each at Walmart), lots of ZipLock bags, waterproof paper & a cheap space pen ($8 at MEC).  If you don't have the issued thermal, buy some civy stuff.  You might get a chance to go to the QM while you're there though.
7.  Get out of barracks on the weekend.  I spent every weekend at the Amsterdam Inn.  Lots of people would do the same.  It does wonders for your sanity :)  They also have free high-speed internet hookups if you have a laptop.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure you already know a lot of this stuff.  I just thought I'd mention it for completeness.  Hopefully it helps answer your questions.  Feel free to contact me if there's anything else you'd like to know.

-Mark

WOW that s a lot of info in one post!!!  :D Glad I took the time to read it.  This was a full time course right?  I'm doing my CAP this summer any thoughts on whether it will be harder or easier?  Oh and what is CTC ?

Thanks

CTC = Combat Training Centre Gagetown - it includes the Arty, Inf, Armd, Engr and Tactics Schools.

When I was there the French guys were taking everything the same time as us.  They were just all put into 1 platoon.

Could you give a rundown of the course for me?

I saw it all in another post, thanks for the info.

tree hugger said:
When I was there the French guys were taking everything the same time as us.   They were just all put into 1 platoon.

Theroretically, shouldn't Officers be bilingual by this point, thereby making language of instruction a moot point?

Not necessarily, Infanteer. I know here at RMC you do your CAP before you graduate, and you only have to have your BBB profile by the time you graduate.

infantry officer said:
WOW that s a lot of info in one post!!!   :D Glad I took the time to read it.   This was a full time course right?   I'm doing my CAP this summer any thoughts on whether it will be harder or easier?   Oh and what is CTC ?

Thanks

Doing it in the summer, eh?  Buy a camel pack.  Make sure it's army green though.  You'll probably have time to head down to Wheeler's and get one there.

chaos75 said:
Could you give a rundown of the course for me?

I saw it all in another post, thanks for the info.

Didn't I just give you a rundown of the course? :)  Is there something else that you wanted to know about it?

Infanteer said:
Theroretically, shouldn't Officers be bilingual by this point, thereby making language of instruction a moot point?

I'm guessing you've never been to St Jean :)

Theoretically, you're supposed to get your BAB at the end of 8 months of SLT, which immediately follows Basic for DEOs.  I was only there for 5 months (I had previous french training), so I can't say for sure, but I'd estimate that maybe a little more than half of the people get their BAB.  And even so, having a BAB doesn't make you bilingual.  There were a lot of people who knew practically no french coming in.  It takes a bit of practice.  Especially when you're giving orders in the field.

When I did CAP, there were only two platoons.  One was anglo and the other was bilingual.  I was on the anglo platoon, which I found odd since I have a CEB, but whatever ... I'm sure they had their reasons.  The platoon hardly seemed bilingual anyways.  They did everything separately, including the all the classes during the first month.  For larger serials, I'm sure they have exclusively franco platoons.

Oh, and btw ... I can't believe you guys censored my previous post!  I thought "an adult male chicken" was an official military term :)

This may seem like a bit of a highjack but it is related to the subject at hand.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what to bring to Gagetown when your going to be there for 3 months?  I've read the what to bring to basic threads but I was wondering if their was anything besides the camelpack that I should bring (other than whats on the kit list in the joining instructions) or if it's basically the same as what people should bring to basic?

Thanks

Excellent summary of the course and outstanding practical advice for those about to go on it.  I have not done CAP but it sounds pretty similar to the Ph II I did some years back.  Keep everything in perspective, work hard, work together and also try to have some fun.

One word of caution regarding snacks in the field. 

One fellow OCdt was in the habit of bringing extra snacks to the field in his rucksack.  We arrived at our biv site in the Lawfield (near APC woods) on Mon morning and left for our day of section attacks.  When we got back at night his ruck was missing from the orderly line.  We found it in the morning by following the trail of chewy fruit dinosaur snacks.  His kit was covered in bear saliva, which is not necessarily a good thing.  The bear got some extra snacks and he got four sleepless nights in the field.

Cheers and good luck to all!

Iain

The Bears are bad in Gagetown.  Lots of abandoned orchards in the Training Area, which have allowed the Bears to become quite numerous.  Last summers CAP Crses had to have the Ministry of Natural Resources bring in a Bear Trap due to the number of Bears visiting the Biv Site at Clones.  Two bears were caught through the Field Portion.  Some Kit was distroyed or went missing due to improper storage of snacks and rations.  Bears are quite good at hauling off whole cases of Rations. 

This summer the Biv site will not be at Clones, but will still be in close proximity to other abandoned orchards.  New Family of Bears.  ;D

GW

2Bravo said:
Excellent summary of the course and outstanding practical advice for those about to go on it.   I have not done CAP but it sounds pretty similar to the Ph II I did some years back.   Keep everything in perspective, work hard, work together and also try to have some fun.

One word of caution regarding snacks in the field.  

One fellow OCdt was in the habit of bringing extra snacks to the field in his rucksack.   We arrived at our biv site in the Lawfield (near APC woods) on Mon morning and left for our day of section attacks.   When we got back at night his ruck was missing from the orderly line.   We found it in the morning by following the trail of chewy fruit dinosaur snacks.   His kit was covered in bear saliva, which is not necessarily a good thing.   The bear got some extra snacks and he got four sleepless nights in the field.

Cheers and good luck to all!

Iain

Which is where there ziplock bags come in handy :)  (i.e. the smell).  And by snacks, I didn't mean junk food.  Sugar ain't gonna do you much good for very long.  I brought a lot of granola bars and trail mix.  But yeah, be careful about bears.  Not exactly something they teach along with the rest of the fieldcraft.  When I went camping as a kid, we used to put all our food (even our toothpaste) in a pack and hang it in a tree.  As long as you're smart about it you'll be fine.

infantry officer said:
This may seem like a bit of a highjack but it is related to the subject at hand.   Anyone have any suggestions as to what to bring to Gagetown when your going to be there for 3 months?   I've read the what to bring to basic threads but I was wondering if their was anything besides the camelpack that I should bring (other than whats on the kit list in the joining instructions) or if it's basically the same as what people should bring to basic?

Thanks

I bit off topic I guess but I've got time to kill :)

I've always found it kind of funny how much people freak out about kit.  You see one person with something you don't have and automatically you start freaking out ... wondering why you don't have one ... if you should have one ... if they're going to have an advantage because of it ... etc etc.  And there always seems to be someone who buys ALL the gucci kit.  There was this one guy on our course who had practically all the canadian peacekeeper gear.  He had the cadpat knapsack, the cadpat compression bag, the stealth suit, the fancy watch, the general's message pad, extra pouches, waterproof everything, etc etc.  He must have spent a fortune on that stuff :)

Anyways before I diverge from your tangent too much ...

Considering you'll be on the summer serial, I can't think of that much extra kit that you might want to bring.  Most stuff I bought was to make me warmer :)  Here are some suggestions though:

- spacepen ($8 at MEC).  Writes on anything in any conditions.  Not essential, but definitely handy.
- mini-mag light or led-light.  I kept a cheap red led light in my pocket.  It was handy when you're flashlight wasn't accessible ... or not functioning.  They'll be strict on light discipline so don't bother with anything fancy and don't even think about bringing a headlamp with you.
- several lighters. 
- mini rolls of guntape or electrical tape
- zap straps (those little plastic tie things.  handy for keeping your webbing together)
- para cord (they'll probably give you some.  it's handy for various webbing mods if you're into that kind of thing.  I put a couple of loops just above my buttpack to roll-up my raingear and hook it in for easier access)
- vitamin Cs (I had a film cannister full of em)
- unscented hand moisterizer (yes, I know we're supposed to be all tough, but it sucks when your hands get all messed up)
- gun snake.  not cheap (approx $30) but really handy for cleaning you rifle in the field.  You can find them at Canadian Tire or Walmart.

A couple of people on our course bought some sort of a waterproof digital camera.  Obviously not essential, but it was a pretty cool toy.  They took a ton of pictures and videos and we put them all together on a CD for everyone on the course.  Definitely a cool keepsake.

The bears in the training area have learned that troops = food so the normal counter-measures do not always work.  Early one morning I watched a bear poking through a hootch from which the day prior it had drank a full, sealed can of coke.  At least the hootch occupants stayed cool as the bear snuffed around them.  I enjoyed the bear antics as they provided a humourous distraction, but at the same time I forbade my own hootch-mate from bringing snacks (of which he was fond).  Besides, you shouldn't have time to eat snacks and cold Macaroni and Cheese IMPs should give you all you need ;).

Cheers

Apologies for yet a further digression in the thread, but does anyone know what the CAP courses are using this summer: Tac vest or web gear?

Edited to add: Anyone spending 3 or more months in gag-town should definitely pack a set of beer goggles.

Back