• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Image of the Army.

ChopperHead

Inactive
Reaction score
My sister is 14 right now and she was thinking about what she would like to do and she really didnt have a clue. I sujusted joining the army and she laughed at me and said "ya right" I can't do that. She said this because when people mention the army what comes to mind? The infantry or the armour right? well anyway so explained that there is so much more then that in the army good benefits you know the whole recruiting pitch and we sat down whent on the DND website and I showed her a whole bunch of diffrent options and careers that are available. we finally found one that interests her and now she seems to want to pursue this. she is interested in IMAGE TECH it's from the airforce but I believe they move around to all the brances anyway my point here is had  I not mentioned this to her she would never of had any thought of joing the military because the common image of the military is the Infantry and the like. We need to have Recruiters when they go to schools really slam that point home she has seen several presentaions and yet still had no Idea because most people already have their minds made up that the military is only for men and that it's all blood, guts and glory. personaly I don't really know how you can change this common notion and attitude. Any Ideas? On another question Is there anyone on here that is an Image tech cause Im trying to find so more info for her.

Kyle.

Their was actaully an image tech at my enrollment. Seem's like a good trade to get into and an interesting one at that.

I think that it would be good to get the point across that if you join up with the CF then it's not your typical job no matter what you do. One of the recruiters at my enrollment told me that any person that joins up with the military is going to be part of a larger family, something you can't find on civie street. Get that point across and more people would be interested.

Once again it's just my own unprofessional opinion.

ChopperHead said:
We need to have Recruiters when they go to schools really slam that point home she has seen several presentaions and yet still had no Idea because most people already have their minds made up that the military is only for men and that it's all blood, guts and glory.

i was in high school not too long ago, and i found that throughout my time at my school, there were never any common presentations being held by the army. CF recuiters would come a few times every year, but it would be on days where other universities/colleges would also be sending their people to the school, and the CF would simply have a booth set up along with the other universities and colleges. with so many other presentations also held on the same day, i found that not many students visited the army booth, and the ones who did were mostly males. a different way to do this may be to hold a general school presentation (which may not be easy to arrange with the school, depending on the situation) where a recruiter could go into the different trades in the military and then maybe set up the booth the next day after everyone is well informed. it is minor details like these that can change the common image of the army.

I remember they had a post secondary event out at a recreational center in my area, I went their and their was an army booth set up with a NCM and an RMC grad. The most predominant people their were once again white males that were interested in the military. As well in high school their was only one presentation done by the army in my CALM class and alot of that was centered around the RMC. However the member was great in terms of answering everybodies question and giving a general idea of what the CF was about. If we could have more military personal at the schools, especially around rememberance day then more and more people will be interested. Hell I didn't even know that a 16 year old could join the reserves until I was looking into joining in Grade 12. If I knew that tidbit of information I would have definitely joined up earlier.

Once again my own opinion.

Back