• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Compass Training

WayneDraper

Inactive
Reaction score
I know that it takes time to understand the compass and how to use it the right way.  The Compass has Cardinal Points as I explained to the boys.  Maybe I should of not said anything about them with that name.  Someone asked me this question and I've been trying to find the answer but can not find anything.  The question was,  "Why are they called cardinal points?" and "Where does it come from?"
I remembered that it was used by sailors hundreds of years ago but that was about all.  Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks to all that help!!

Cardinals..... cause they weren't Bishops? :) (jk)

nope....... tried to track down - nada, zip, zero,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_directions

http://www.world-mysteries.com/alignments/mpl_al3.htm

Hmmm.... wikpedia - been there,
still don't see where the word Cardinal comes up ???
must be getting tired.

The only thing I could find that even remotely alluded to why they are called 'cardinal' points, was a reference to cardinal numbers being numbers that are regularly spaced.
One could reasonably assume that this is the same idea.

cardinal number
One entry found for cardinal number.
Main Entry: cardinal number
Function: noun
1 : a number (as 1, 5, 15) that is used in simple counting and that indicates how many elements there are in an assemblage -- see NUMBER table

Cardinal Points of the Compass.

Due north, west, east, and south. So called because they are the points on which the intermediate ones, such as N.E., N.W., N.N.E., etc., hinge or hang. (Latin, cardo, a hinge.)   

cheers
  (and thanks I love UFI also. never really thought of it before!)

reference:Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898

Cardinal \Car"di*nal\, a Of fundamental importance; pre["e]minent; superior; chief; principal.

Wayne, I can't recommend Onelook.com enough.  It's a dictionary meta-search engine, so you can often plug in what you're looking for and get it.  Cardinal Points, for instance, will produce several results (including one Masonic).

Dictionary.com will often have etymology, but can sometimes be a limited resource.

Back