• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

maple360 said:
Part two medical? I thought it was just one medical that lasts for a year before you have to update.

Well there is one medical but there are 2 parts to it.

Part 2 medicals? I've done eyesight, hearing, pushups and stuff while she listened to my lungs or something. Granted, the lady I spoke with seems new at the RC, I've never dealt with her before. The way she put it was, I will call you back in 5 minutes if you need to do a new medical after a year, I WON'T call back if you don't. Either way, I have an interview on monday because I changed one of my trades. I will get some more information then.

Wilamanjaro said:
Part 2 medicals? I've done eyesight, hearing, pushups and stuff while she listened to my lungs or something. Granted, the lady I spoke with seems new at the RC, I've never dealt with her before. The way she put it was, I will call you back in 5 minutes if you need to do a new medical after a year, I WON'T call back if you don't. Either way, I have an interview on monday because I changed one of my trades. I will get some more information then.

I don't think I can edit my previous reply, but the whole Part 1,2,3 medical is basically the different stages.  Part 1 you do the medical.  Part 2, the senior med tech/PA at the RC give you thumbs up thumbs down, part 3 is where your info is forwarded to a Medical Officer for the final say on whether you are fit/unfit.  This is usually the longest part to wait for. 

I'd like to start off as saying hi to the members of this site. As well as i have searched for answers regarding my question, although sadly still a little confused as to the most correct answer.

I have been placed on the Merit List as of Tuesday for Reserve. Being Merit Listed in my perspective is once you are Merit Listed, you're guaranteed a job but it is just a matter of when you will get the job, it can take 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, but you eventually will get a job offer. Is my perspective on it correct or am i in denial lol?

Thank you very much!

my understanding of how it works is different.

my understanding that the merit list is a list of everyone they feel is qualified to do the job, with the person at the top being the most qualified. They then of course as jobs come up - pull people from the list for offers top to bottom.

The issue is that as every new person gets added to the list it could move you down if they score better (combo of CFAT, experience, and interview).

Even if i am #1 on the list today...i could be #50 by the time jobs open.

I assume this is why the CF is starting to only process people when jobs are open in their trades of choice.

That said...being on the merit list is clearly better then not being on it....lol

:salute:

Thank Seawolf!

If anyone else  would like to add something or has any input , i would love to know.

Thanks CDN, Meh, i had a feeling i was in denial  ;D

One more thing, they wont Merit List you unless there are positions available right? and lets say they have 10 positions available, and top 10 from the Merit List gets a job offer what happens to the other Merit List members, are they taken off it and told to re-apply next year? what happens most of the time in this case?

other merit list members stay on the merit list.

Some people are on it a few weeks....others months...others years...others give up or try for other trades before being selected...

Thank you both for your input, i really do appreciate it! hopefully i can return the favor one of these days!  :salute:

You don't get taken off the Merit List, but you have to update your interview and medical are only valid for 12 months (someone confirm this please), therefore if you don't update or fail the new medical/interview, you will be taken off.

I know there is the other thread about different times between things like the medical and cfat, but i wanted to know straight up how long has it been since you guys have been merit listed?

On July 13th I'll have been merit listed for 1 year. I've heard of people waiting longer. Wait times depend on many things.

And I know a guy who was enrolled 1 week after dropping off his application. Just because wait times are long right now does not always mean they will be that way.

I don't think I was on the list for very long, I'd have to say three, maybe four weeks. However, there's no sure fire way to know how long you're going to be sitting on the list. Some people can spend years waiting for a call, while others land one in just a few months. There's a number of factors that influence time on the merit list. The trade you applied for could be highly competitive and there might be people ahead of you who are viewed as more competitive for the position. My understanding is that you can also be pushed down the list if someone more competitive is placed on it after you have been, it's not first come first serve.

jordonoakley said:
I know there is the other thread about different times between things like the medical and cfat, but i wanted to know straight up how long has it been since you guys have been merit listed?

I had my interview on April 4th and am getting sworn in on July 4th. My suggestion is to keep making your application more competitive while you wait for the call.

Good luck.

I have yet to be selected for my CFAT, like previous people have stated it depends on a lot of factors. When I asked the recruiter I called last week he stated that the main reason is mostly because there are individuals with a more competitive application so they will obviously be selected first before anyone else. Also he told me that there is a certain amount of applicants they can process per week, so just keep calling them every month or so to check up on things. You can also do some background training to increase the score on your application to make it more competitive, night school, extra job training..every little bit helps.

And as I've been told many time before, "Now its the easy part, all you need to do is just hurry up and wait."

Back