• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

All trades are not alike in terms of when (or the frequency in which) they conduct their intake. Yes, there are certain periods when, overall, more applicants are being recruited for a variety of jobs and when many or most trades are closed and not accepting new applicants at all, but it varies.

If you are curious about your specific job selections, your best bet is to speak to your MCC/file manager and not listen to your friend. His experience may very well be completely different than what yours will be.

As well, you'll find a lot of info in the Recruiting forum to help you with this and any other questions you might have.  Good luck.

Hi everyone :nod:, my name is Dean and I have been trying to join the regular commissioned forces for a while now :cdnsalute:. I was informed last week that I had been Merit listed ;).

Does anyone here know how long this "waiting game" can typically last :waiting:. I basically need to have a rough idea as to just how long I have to wait or should I keep calling the recruiting office and badger them for an answer :clubinhand:?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciate :).

Aryabarzine said:
Does anyone here know how long this "waiting game" can typically last

This may help.

The Merit List Mega Thread of Questions 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12776.0.html

Since the previous reply covered the merit list, I'll cover the badgering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Best of luck.

** deleted, a forum member was kind enough to PM me some info on current CFRC/CFRG 'realities'. **

I heard in 2012 there were 30,000 applications. Anyone know or care to guess how many you think actually made it to the merit listing of those 30,000?

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I am joining the reserves with the Queen's own Rifles and have been merit listed. When I talked with a recruiting officer about what this means for the reserves, he said being merit listed in the reserves means I am in for sure. I still haven't gotten a call saying when I will start, but I know that BMQ will start in November. I was later told my spot on the list is around 60, combined with all the other units. Does anyone know if that means there is a chance I won't get to start BMQ this November and have to wait until next year's BMQ course?

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I am joining the reserves with the Queen's own Rifles and have been merit listed. When I talked with a recruiting officer about what this means for the reserves, he said being merit listed in the reserves means I am in for sure. I still haven't gotten a call saying when I will start, but I know that BMQ will start in November. I was later told my spot on the list is around 60, combined with all the other units. Does anyone know if that means there is a chance I won't get to start BMQ this November and have to wait until next year's BMQ course?

It's just a waiting game - I'm on it as well, but for a different unit in the GTA. Be patient, the time will come. Also, I was told by the person who was interviewing me that being on the merit list does not mean absolute guarantee in for the Reserves.

Okay, thanks a lot! Do you know around when we should get the call if we do get selected? And will they notify us if we haven't been selected? I just hope everything goes well and we can both start in November!

mark1993 said:
Okay, thanks a lot! Do you know around when we should get the call if we do get selected?

No idea when we'll get called to be sworn in, but I have a feeling it might be during October.

mark1993 said:
And will they notify us if we haven't been selected?

Not sure about that either. If you were one of the ten applicants that were chosen, then I don't see why you should worry about it too much. If the recruiting officer told you that you're in for sure when you're on the merit list, then that's the answer.

Good luck with QOR; I applied during April, but I didn't get accepted, oh well. 

Tape said:
Not sure about that either. If you were one of the ten applicants that were chosen, then I don't see why you should worry about it too much.

Just curious, how did you find out there were only 10 applicants for QOR?

mark1993 said:
Just curious, how did you find out there were only 10 applicants for QOR?

If I recall correctly, I was told by my friend who was being interviewed by a person who was in the QOR. The person told him that there were a lot more people trying to apply to the QOR this year, and only could accept 10 applicants.

My application status is merit-listed and drafted. Does any one know what exactly that means? The man at the reception desk at CFRC said it means they are working on it. Does that mean that if you are merit-listed but not yet drafted, your file is just sitting there, not being worked on?

prhray said:
My application status is merit-listed and drafted. Does any one know what exactly that means? The man at the reception desk at CFRC said it means they are working on it. Does that mean that if you are merit-listed but not yet drafted, your file is just sitting there, not being worked on?

This is a crazy idea, I know...but why didn't you ask the man at the reception desk at the CFRC?

Well I asked him what drafted means, but not how that's different than merit-listed, because I don't want to piss him off with too many questions.

prhray said:
Well I asked him what drafted means, but not how that's different than merit-listed, because I don't want to piss him off with too many questions.

They're there to answer questions.  Recruiters expect prospective recruits to have questions...especially when using lingo unique to the application process.

Back