• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Concern with my Trade Selection issue during Debrief (Weapons Technician Land)

Primus

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a concern in regards to my trade choice with the forces. Weapons Technician Land
I'm assuming I passed the CFAT as I was brought into a room for debrief about my trade choices and I was told I'll be expecting a medical exam and when that checked out, a formal interview.
(I apologize if I'm reading this all wrong. I just was never told i failed)

My concern is, the staff member informed me I wasn't qualified to do the Weapons Technician trade due to not having an academic level math credit in high school and I was asked if I was interesting
in any other trades. I gave him an alternate trade as I felt pressured to choose one. I've felt pretty bummed for the rest of the day.
I applied for the Weapons Tech trade based on the website info stating you just needed minimum grade 10.  I have a high school diploma and by that I should be qualified for it, no?

Weapons Technician Land -The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10

I wanted to go for Air Weapons system technician but that definitely says Academic level math required. (The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec including Grade 10 academic math )

Any info would be appreciated on this matter.

Thank you

In some instances, the website will only list the "basic" requirements for application (ie; Grade 10 to apply).  Each occupation shown will have specific academic/entry requirements attached to it.  As the entry requirements for occupations can and do fluctuate from time to time and also Provincial Education curriculums, it is not possible to maintain a complete breakdown for each and every occupation.

Entry Standards for each occupation may contain the requirement to have "specific" highschool credits/courses (ie; Gr 11 Academic Math, Gr 12 English, etc, etc) or credits/courses at a higher or equivalent level.

So if you are interested in becoming a Wpns Tech (L), you will need to obtain the required academic credit before being eligible.

That gives me better insight.
I will go and ask them what specific course(s) I need to take to be qualified.

I don't want to be in the Canadian Forces just to "be in"

I also don't want to take an alternate career choice I don't really want, away from someone who really does.

It would be a disservice to myself and that individual.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Good Day,

Here are the specific requirements inline with the information DAA posted.

Effective 3 Oct 2012 the entry standards for Weapons Tech is as follows:

Ideal: Secondary school graduation certificate or a secondary V certificate of Quebec, including:
1) Grade 12 applied math or math 526 in Quebec, and;
2) One science course at the Grade 12 or Secondaire V level in Quebec

Acceptable: Secondary school graduation certificate or a secondary V certificate of Quebec, including:
1) Grade 12 applied math or math 526 in Quebec.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Thanks for the very detailed outline.

See, when I was in school I took General math in grade 12. I graduated in 2000.

Applied to me would seem like "general" and academic would've been "advanced".

I'm a bit confused.
So people who went to school before the updated high school system are penalized in a sense and need to upgrade the credit?

Primus said:
Applied to me would seem like "general" and academic would've been "advanced".

I'm a bit confused.
So people who went to school before the updated high school system are penalized in a sense and need to upgrade the credit?

Recruiting Detachments have access to an education conversion Matrix when it comes to academics, so they would take the Course Code assigned to your credentials based on your transcripts and use that.  If the coding does not meet the minimum requirements, then you are not eligible to be processed for that occupation.

You aren't being penalized but rather assessed against todays standards.  As an example, if there happens to be an occupation that today only requires Grade 10 and the entry standards for that occupation are subsequently updated/upgraded tomorrow to a requirement for a minimum of Grade 11, then I can't see that as being penalized if you took your education earlier on in life.

As previously mentioned, the Entry Standards do change over time, so what was acceptable yesterday, may not be acceptable tomorrow.

That makes sense in regards to the conversion matrix.

For an update, I went to the recruitment center today again. I told him about how I really still wanted to go for Weapons Technician.
He said I should take an online course to upgrade my grade 10 math to applied or higher and they put my previous selection of
"Mobile support equipment operator" (The course I chose as a replacement) as inactive and put me back on Weapons Technician but on hold until I can show them the certification for it. 
Does this sound accurate in regards to my options?

I really would like to do this, so I'll be looking to register for an online course to get the accreditation.

I appreciate the replies very much. They've been so incredibly helpful.

Thank you again.

Note- Since you posted about grade 12 applied Mathematics, it would be in my best interest to take Grade 12 applied or higher and not screw myself over taking a grade 10 course due to a potential mispeak from the recruiter and still end up not having the adequate accreddiation

From further searching (and discussing with my niece who just finished high school) I found there isn't a specific course called applied/academic math in Grade 12. 

For Grade 12 Mathematics. I found course similar to this:
Grade 12
MCV4U
Calculus and Vectors – University Preparation
MHF4U
Advanced Functions – University Preparation
MDM4U
Mathematics of Data Management – University Preparation
MCT4C
Mathematics for College Technology – College Preparation
MAP4C
Foundations for College Mathematics – College Preparation

Which one of these types would be equivalent for acceptance?

Thank you.

Primus said:
From further searching (and discussing with my niece who just finished high school) I found there isn't a specific course called applied/academic math in Grade 12. 

For Grade 12 Mathematics. I found course similar to this:
Grade 12
MCV4U
Calculus and Vectors – University Preparation
MHF4U
Advanced Functions – University Preparation
MDM4U
Mathematics of Data Management – University Preparation
MCT4C
Mathematics for College Technology – College Preparation
MAP4C
Foundations for College Mathematics – College Preparation

Which one of these types would be equivalent for acceptance?

Thank you.

Any of the courses above "should" meet the requirements for having Gr 12 Applied Math.  Applied Math, is any mathematics course which can be used to meet the entry requirements for post-second education at the College Level or higher.

See the Prerequisite Chart on page 12 of this link, which may help to explain the difference between "Applied" and "Academic" mathematics in Ontario and give you a relatively good idea of what the requirements are.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/secondary/math1112currb.pdf

***Applied Math: These courses are designed for students planning to enter into Colleges & Technical Schools or some other trades or into the workplace. (i.e. Ontario Grade 10 Foundations of Mathematics: MFM2P), (Math 426 in Quebec) leading up to the required Grade 12 Level of Math)

Is "should" a yes?

Just need to confirm before I register and spend the time/money to move forward.

Thanks again for the reply.
Most appreciated

Primus said:
Is "should" a yes?
Just need to confirm before I register and spend the time/money to move forward.
Thanks again for the reply.
Most appreciated

Based on the Entry Standards that Sgt Laen graciously posted up above, any Gr 12 high school mathematics course at the Applied or Academic Level (ie; College/University Entry Level or higher) should meet the minimum "Acceptable" requirements.

The courses you listed, are at the "Applied" level or beyond according to the Ontario Provincial standards, so you should be okay taking anyone of them but please, check with your local Recruiting Detachment first, just to be on the safe side.

As we aren't privi to your individual application, we can only provide advice based on the content of your question.  There may be other issues with your application that we may not be aware of, so it's always good to check with your CFRC first before expending time and money.

Good luck.

Back