• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Confusing array of CFAT books from "Complete Test Preparation Team"

YooZerNayme

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking at these guys on Amazon and they have the following titles available:

'Review the CFAT: Complete Canadian Forces Aptitude Test Study Guide and Practice Test Questions'

'Practice the CFAT!: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test Practice Questions'

'Pass the CFAT! Complete Canadian Forces Aptitude Test Study Guide and Practice Test Questions'

'CFAT Strategy!: Winning Multiple Choice Strategies for the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test'

I also see mixed reviews and fairly low average star ratings on Amazon. Are any of them worth buying? I'm a bit miffed as to why they're not just bundled into one (likely for profit reasons) as the titles and descriptions for each books appear to over-lap.

Would be interested to hear of anyone's experience with them; if they're useful or just regurgitated churn-outs of each other like a lot of the publishing world these days ;)

I bought the 'CFAT - study guide and practice questions'.

I closely read the math section in the first part of the book since that was my area of concern.  They explain the type of questions that you'll come across during the CFAT, followed by practice questions, then 2 full tests.  Based on that I looked online to find more examples of those types of math questions.

I wrote the CFAT back in January and the book really helped me. I found the level of difficulty for the math section was similar to that of the test. 

Thanks for the input. Which of the above books was that? Can't see it matching a title - unless it's another book altogether?

Review the CFAT: Complete Canadian Forces Aptitude Test Study Guide and Practice Test Questions

The spatial ability section wasn't as hard as the one on the CFAT......those darn folded shapes!

Also, the best advice I was given for the math section was this: say you are adding, substracting, dividing or multiplying and the last digit (or 2) match an answer in the multiple choices on the test, then you know the answer, no need to complete your calculation, you'll just be wasting time. 

The book will give you other tips on how to not waste time on the test.

Sorry, I think I may have bought Pass the CFAT: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test Study Guide and Practice Questions.....they look similar. 

I got a pretty good mark by studying spatial IQ tests, and (to a much lesser extent) hard GRE words

I used a public service text book from 2011 for the math problems, you should be able to find one for free online or at your library

I used the "CFAT Trainer" app in the Google Play Store, and I passed my CFAT (Currently in application for Engineering officer, PRes)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.armytest.cfat&hl=en

*Edit:

Maybe give this app a quick trial? I think it offers an assortment of questions for free, and then to unlock the rest of the questions it costs a certain amount (can't remember how much now).
It splits up the question categories into what the CFAT is structured as well (problem solving, spatial, and verbal questions), and also provides solutions.

The only problem I had with this app was their timer wasn't really correct, based on the actual time you get on the CFAT.
When you start a "session" in this app, it automatically starts a countdown timer, but the timer gives you too much time (I think it gives almost a minute to 1.5 minutes per question).
Whereas in the actual CFAT, there is significantly less time per question, depending on which category you've selected for the questions.
If you do try this app, I recommend using a second clock to time yourself for the categories instead of using the built-in one.

CFAT Test Trainer - Android play store

Envoyé de mon SGH-M919 en utilisant Tapatalk

There is an on-line program that you can buy (on-line). Wish I could remember what it is called. They are mock actual CFAT tests, also has mock tests for the RCMP and Border Patrol. Very useful, a bit pricey though! In my opinion well worth it! I felt that it prepared me very well for the actual CFAT test. Style of questions, timing etc.. especially in the math section. With a bit of research , I am sure that you can find it.
Cuz, what they say the test is, compared to what it really is, is two completely different realities! Especially when you factor in the time management.
Goodluck!

Found this and couldn't agree more!

1) Find at your local bookstore Government/Police/Military examination prep books. These really do help in terms of the mathematics and the spatial sections. Can be a little pricey.
2) Find website sites (free and pay for service) where you have access to practice / mock military - police style aptitude tests. These really help, and learning how to complete the problems under a time crunch is important.
3) Practice aptitude tests with spatial sections. These really helped me to look at cube folding in a different light. There are numerous apps with different spatial styles to practice.
4) Understand the practice CFAT exam (provided by the CF), but realize that the actual test problems are much more difficult – especially the spatial portion. It’ not about how to solve a problem (mathematics) but understanding how to solve a problem under a severe time crunch. (Look forward and then look back at the difficult questions).

I realize that many will say “no need to study or to prep. It’s a test to measure your aptitude at the time of application.” However, if you are struggling with any aspect of the test it would not hurt to study and study. After all if this is a career you want, really go for it and strive for the best.

Don’t make the same mistake as me my first time around. If math/spatial problems are not easy for you reach out and make use of the resources out there

ASVAB study guide available on amazon is a good resource. Gives u lots of tips and techniques to solve the problems.
best of luck

Back