• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Confusion - when the left hand says "x" and the right "y" - Eye exam aircrew

TimBit

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok... putting the last touches to my CT/OT, I completed my part II for initial aircrew yesterday, at the Ottawa CF Health Services Centre. Everything went well, fit for duty.

BUT... I never completed any eye examination. I mean, of course a med tech made me read a chart on the wall, and I did great as usual, read the last line with one eye and two-thirds of it with the other. But that's it.

Now, no one at the CDU mentionned anything or said anything. They insist that I don't need one, that I'm good to go and that the file is ready to go to Toronto. Now the ophtalmology clinic says, on the contrary, that I do need an ophtalmological exam but that they cannot do it and I have to have it done on the street. No problemo, I'll book one for myself. But before suffering the delays AND costs of that exam, could someone here please confirm/infirm that I need one? Is there some special kind of dispensation that I am missing here? I need A4, but clearly FSG 100-01 states that

Complete ophthalmic examination within the preceding 12 months to include corrected/uncorrected visual acuity at 6 m, 30-50 cm, and 100 cm, dilated fundoscopy, muscle balance, visual fields, and ocular pressures. Exams can be done by an Ophthalmologist, an Optometrist or an Ophthalmic Technician. A cycloplegic refraction is required for all initial aircrew.

Does this also mean that I can have the testing done by an optometrist rather than an ophtalmologist, cutting both time and $$$? I wish that someone over there could actually have given me a straight answer here, but unfortunately it cannot seem to be.

Thanks!

I'll answer my own question  ;D

I hold from a trusted source in D Med Pol (the authority for such things) that apparently, policy was changed recently (surprise!) and that applicants who are going aircrew OTHER THAN PILOTS and who have 20/20 vision with no prior medical history indicating eye problems do not have to undergo a detailed ophtalmologic exam as part of their initial aircrew.

Comments?

I *believe* (it was a few years ago now...) I went for an initial eye exam and THEN was scheduled for the cyclo because the initial one showed something they needed to look at further.

Ah I'm really happy to have someone confirm that. Thanks a bunch Eye in The Sky, it really is a load off my mind. I dreaded a cock-up once in Toronto and we are kind of hoping for a quick CT/move now.

Cheers!

Back