• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Considering joining reserves but I have some medical and ethics concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pusser said:
Helen Tasker (Jamie Lee Curtis):  "Have you ever killed anyone?"

Harry Tasker (Arnold Schwarzenegger):  "Yes, but they were all bad."

1944:
"Do you think you can kill?", one of the members ( a psychiatrist ) of the draft board asked.
"I don't know about strangers, but friends, yes."
Oscar Levant.
:pumpkin: ( Didn't see the smiley. )

Pusser said:
I have to take issue with the concept of "hurting" people.  The CF does not exist to hurt people.  That is not one of our objectives.  HOWEVER, we understand that in order to carry out our mission, we may have to hurt someone.  This is generally, because said person is trying to stop us and we have to use force, including deadly force, in order to achieve our objective.  Another way of putting it would be to say that perhaps our objective is to capture and take control of a village somewhere.  If we have to kill people in order to do this (probably because they're trying to stop us because their objective opposes ours), then that is what happens.  On the other hand, if the village surrenders without a shot being fired, we're OK with that too.  We don't go around indiscriminately "hurting" people as an objective unto itself.

Really?  This sound familiar?"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."  Gen Hillier

marshall sl said:
Really?  This sound familiar?"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people (emphasis added)."  Gen Hillier

If we were to accomplish all of our objectives without ever having to resort to violence (not likely) would we not be as successful as if we had to use force?

I do like that quote though.

marshall sl said:
Really?  This sound familiar?"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."  Gen Hillier

Never confuse soundbites with complete factual analysis.

I think the operative words there are " ...our job is TO BE ABLE to kill people" - killing folks in and of itself isn't our raison d'etre, it's simply one of several means at our disposal to achieve the missions set out for us by the government. 

MM

I think the young padwan has got the message by now, a variety of similiar points are being made......this thread should be wrapped up....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back