• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contingency Cost Move ( CCM )

INT Guy

Inactive
Reaction score
My mother is not well and is on the west cost and I am in Ottawa. I am not due to be posted until 2012.

I have looked around and have only found contingency cost move (CCM) as an option. I do not want a compassionate as I can still deploy and still want to move forward in my career.

If I put in a memo for a CCM who is it addressed to? CareerManager, CO or D Mil C?

Are there any repercussions associated with this request? Are my move costs still covered and allowances allocated in the same manner as a regular move during the APS?

Any help is appreciated - especially since I am wanting to get this done by Tuesday..

thanks in advance.

I have talked to my direct supervisor already and was waiting on a COA before the memo goes in.

He thought just a memo was in order within the chain but I am making certain that all is correct the first time through. I have had many a request sit on a desk without action - not at my current work but previous.

I have just this past year asked for and recieved a contingency Cost Move.  As BernDawg said you first need to inform your chain of command.  Then write a memo to the Career Manager thru your chain of command.  The CO's recommendation must be on this request.  You also need to see the Social Workers who will interview you and give their recommendations.  Your chain of command and the Social workers should direct you as to the supporting documentation you'll need to justify this. 

If you are looking at quality of life reasons and are employable and deployable, it's important to justify this in your request. Quality of life still means your are available for taskings, deployments courses and promotions.  Keep all this in mind with your request. 

If you have any other questions feel free to PM.
K.

I'm in the middle of the process right now too. My COC has been more then helpful with my request (maybe they just want me gone that badly) and am expecting my posting within the week (request was about three weeks ago)

Both my current and receiving unit acted on the information quickly. It seems to be Ottawa delaying the request (I'm not complaining, they're still moving quick) I didn't have to go through social work either, but maybe I'll have to in the future.

PM me if you want details or advice.

Searched first, found squat. I put a memo up my C-o-C 6 months ago to request a contingency cost move to another Base..... Still patiently waiting for a response, but my question is, can any LOG types let me know exactly who pay for a CCM? Do they come out of Unit or career managers budgets or is there a separate pool of money set aside for CCM's or Compassionate Postings?

Is a Contingency Cost Move another way of saying a move on posting? I thought we are ordered to move and report by a certain COS date.

Thank you dapaterson. That clears alot up for me.

Sorry Jed, It's not that at all. I don't know all the ins and outs of a CCM Posting and a Compassionate Posting, I just know they are 2 separate mechanisms that the CF has to help assist it's members when circumstances can justify the move.

For those interested in learning about CCMs or Compassionate Postings, here's the DAOD Reference link: http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5003-6-eng.asp

3 weeks??? Must be nice. I put my request for one in last April.... nearly 6 months later and STILL waiting for an answer.

LOL!! I waited almost 18 months - only to be denied!! Apparently SCONDVA never recognised children as family...

"If I wanted a family to be part of your kit soldier, I would've had them ISSUED to you!! Get back to work!!"

Not bad..... after a 6 month wait (Almost to the day) and right out of the blue, my Sergeant Major gets a hold of me. "One quick question ref. your CCM memo.... what do you want for a COS date?" And just like that, I got it. For the first 4 months I put that memo in, I said nothing and waited for the wheels to turn, after 4 months, started asking about it and lo and behold.... it finally gets moving. The squeeky wheel really DOES get the grease.

I have a question.
I am trying to request a contingency cost move for personal reasons and my CoC is not being supportive at all. Not only have they not tried to help me figure out the process, when i asked my direct supervisor to get me an appointment with the WO to figure out my next move she said she sent an email but no response, which i figured out recently she did not send. I am worried because i don't have my CoC's support and I'm scared to do this alone. any suggestions?

First place to start is DAOD 5003-6, Contingency Cost Moves for Personal Reasons, Compassionate Status and Compassionate Posting

You have to have a real hard look at yourself and your situation in order to see if you fit the reasons for CCM vice Compassionate Status/Posting. Doing so in a clinical/unemotional manner is sometimes (usually) very difficult to do.

Just because you cannot get past your immediate supervisor to the WO does not mean that your CoC does not support you. You aren't even to that stage yet. It means that your immediate supervisor, at best, does not share your sense of urgency or, at worst, is just a bit of a male sexual appendage.

Have a read of the DAOD and DAOD 5003-0 Restrictions on Duty and Individual Limitations and see where that gets you home work wise. Instead of talking to your supervisor, if you are getting no joy, talk with your RMS Clerk.

READ THE REFS FIRST!

I have to second that. I have the distinct impression that a lot of people really don't understand a CCM and lump it in with compassionate postings. Be prepared to explain why it should be a CCM vs compassionate.

Tcm621 said:
I have to second that. I have the distinct impression that a lot of people really don't understand a CCM and lump it in with compassionate postings. Be prepared to explain why it should be a CCM vs compassionate.

While both a CCM Posting and Compassionate Posting may appear the same from the surface when applying, they are not.  Both have very differing career implications and resolution times.  The approval process is relatively the same but the largest hurdle is "who pays" for the move, which is the bad point of it.  A CCM posting will come directly from the respective CM's budget, whilst a Compassionate posting will come from higher up.  So if your CM has no money left in their posting budget, your sort of stuck......

FYI

Ill acknowledge this is an old post first, but it is the first topic that comes up with regards to CCM.

Its stated that a CCM fin coding comes from the respective CM.

It does not, it comes from the same pool as the Compassionate posting allowance.

Your CM and CoC (not direct CoC,) the higher up the chain is very influential in the decision made by Col of D Mil C.
Stating, if your memo as directed is to the CO of your unit, your CoC has to pass it up, with their input whether or not to support or not, from that point if your CO agrees that a CCM is the most appropriate way to resolve the reasoning for a posting, (family requirement, language, medical, career potential etc) he/she will then submit a letter to your CM, stating that bla bla bla should be posted to alleviate these issues.

From that point your CM may ask you for various ppwk, etc to support it (if they support it).

From what I have been informed by the OR, Base OR, CM, and other senior members including my RSM, Very rarely will the Col of D Mil C go against what the CM, CO and medical, or social services recommend for a member. Especially if the unit/location you are requesting to go has positions and is higher on the priority manning list.

Compassionates should be used as a last resort. They have very stringent career implications. I have researched this alot over the past year.

for ref

DOAD 5003-6

Here is the situation:

Wife is pregnant and she is taking a EI pay top up from her employer while on maternity leave.  In order to take it she has to return service to her employer in an equal amount of hours to the amount she will receive in top up.  The CF has a similar policy.  In order to be able to return service we have to remain in the same area until she can do that (it will take about 8 months beyond her 1 year of maternity leave).  That being said I'm fully deployable during her maternity and return service time.  If we had to leave before she had the opportunity to return service we would owe approximately $30,000 to her employer as her top up would be considered an overpayment.

Should I apply for a Contingency Cost Move (without a move) or Compassionate Status (no move)?

I should also mention I am due for posting but of course nothing official has come down.

Thanks.

Back