• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contingency Cost Move ( CCM )

Once the request is approved, D Mil C will cut a posting message and everything then proceeds just like any other move.

RayneWL said:
I am currently posted to BTL and heading on OJT for my new job while waiting for my QL3s to start in January. I am looking to put up a request for my posting after my QL3s as I had a family issue arise. I have read over the DAOD 5003-6 and I meet or will meet the requirements for a CCM. I am just unsure when I can put in the request. I was hoping to do it ASAP so hopefully I can get an answer before my QL3s so I can put 100% of my focus on the course and not having the worry in the back of my mind on the posting. Can I do it now and submit it through BTL? Or can I do it when I start OJT and submit it through the CoC of the actual trade I will be joining? Or do I need to wait until I start my QL3s?

Also how much information is required for the CoC to know? I understand if they need supporting documents and I am prepared to give them, but I'd rather not publicize my families medical issues if its not 100% necessary.

You will need to explain the situation to a social worker anyway so make sure you have all the supporting docs, as they may or may not be required.  Stat the process now as it can be lengthy.  Just a note just because you meet CCM criteria doesn't mean they will post you.  Have seen many compassionate and CCM attempts and most of them were not successful, more on the CCM side.  The thing you have going in your favour is being untrained they have some more leeway to post you off the BTL as that is a known move credit.

RayneWL said:
I'm not looking to be posted out of BTL. What I am looking for is the postings after I finish my QL3s.

I am tracking that.  You remain on the BTL until you are finished your 3s generally hence it is a posting off the BTL.

"You are your own best career manager", is a valid quote to bring up at this point.

You have not even started your career, and you are searching for personal special consideration.

Everyone in the CAF has family / their own situation. When you put your own interests ahead of the service, you are not as useful to the CAF.
If this issue you are willing to pursue (hill to die on), your career could quickly end as an administrative burden.

Even if you are posted to an MP Det in Ontario, after training, you can readily be deployed as required anytime as required by the CAF, nullifying your efforts.

kratz said:
"You are your own best career manager", is a valid quote to bring up at this point.

You have not even started your career, and you are searching for personal special consideration.

Everyone in the CAF has family / their own situation. When you put your own interests ahead of the service, you are not as useful to the CAF.
If this issue you are willing to pursue (hill to die on), your career could quickly end as an administrative burden.

Even if you are posted to an MP Det in Ontario, after training, you can readily be deployed as required anytime as required by the CAF, nullifying your efforts.

...and this is why the CAF is losing people left right and centre.

How do large international companies maintain their effective workforce? By brow-beating them into ignoring their families needs? Not likely.

Give the member the advice and resources, not judgement.

[quote author=Brashendeavours ]
...and this is why the CAF is losing people left right and centre. [/quote]

This comment is a simplistic, sophomoric statement.

Unlimited Liability is more than personal injury or sacrifice.
Personal life will be interrupted. Family life will be affected.
These demands of military service have occurred with any military and will continue to in modern life.

The CoC does it's best to provide solutions to member's issues...but the ownership is "the member's issues".
Entry level positions are simple to fill.

My father served for 24 years, he made sacrifices in his career by choosing to raise me as a single father while in the Infantry back in the 80's and he regrets none of it.

Family first. If it's something that's important then put in the request and see what comes of it.

Good luck.

kratz said:

Asking for a posting that meets your own needs and the needs of the CAF just makes sense.  As an employer, accommodating reasonable requests where possible builds loyalty, and is more likely to keep people in for a career.  Doing otherwise is short term thinking that undermines longterm sustainability.

We invest too much into training and specialization to keep treating everyone as replaceable, and arbitrarily messing with people when they are on the BTL because doing some basic supervisory/personnel management work is an 'administrative burden' is a bit of a lazy attitude. If you start out someone's career telling them 'if you don't like it, get out' you can't be surprised when they get out when they don't like it, and you are facing significant personnel shortages.

[quote author=Navy_Pete]
Asking for a posting that meets your own needs and the needs of the CAF just makes sense.  As an employer, accommodating reasonable requests where possible builds loyalty, and is more likely to keep people in for a career.  Doing otherwise is short term thinking that undermines longterm sustainability.[/quote]

I agree with reasonable requests, but there is such a thing as managing member's expectation too.  There will be times, situations when a posting is "not ideal", or a deployment doesn't fit a family's needs.

Sugar coating what the CAF will require is as much a disservice to recruits as lazy leadership.

had to go back and read through. 

Rayne - Put in your request now so that it can get on the career shops radar.  If you wait until after they have plugged you into a different hole then you will have pissed them off.  Remember that CM could be your boss some day.  Absolutely nothing wrong with making a request that is in the books and no it does not make you an admin burden to anyone except those that don't want to do their jobs.  The ones that really are burdens are those that wait until they are posted somewhere else and then put in the request.  You are still BTL so the CM has time to plan you into a position you would prefer if it is possible.

Nothing wrong with putting family first other than the attitudes of others and the possible career implications as far as rank advancement goes.  Every posting I have had has been discussed with my family and they have decided which were taken (I have always had choice of at least 3 locations).  Career course have also been done with the family onboard.

The modern military understands that sometimes we have family life events that requires our attention thus has built in such things as CCM to accommodate when possible.  From reading your post it appears that you understand it is a request that may be denied and not an entitlement.  Talking to the social worker will give you are clearer picture on if your request is reasonable.  Considering most people avoid Ottawa I would think any CM would be happy that someone is asking for it.

Good Luck.

I am not sure how it works at the MP School, but at CFSCE DP1/QL3 students are asked for their posting preferences during the first week of the course.  On the spreadsheet the CM uses is a comments section where the students can add any amplifying information for their choices.  The CM would take this into account when giving them their posting.  Most, if they had a viable reason and if there was a spot open, got their first choice without having to go through the CCM route.

So I've been posted to Ottawa for about 7 months now however due to a child custody court order, my step-son is not allowed to live outside the town I current live in which is 155km away. I work shift work (14-15 days a month) and it takes me three hours minimum of driving to work and back home each day. With gas the way it is now, it is costing me at least $450-$500 a month just for gas to drive to work and home. My wife and I are expecting and I can't very well afford the travel, and it will cost more to get a place in Ottawa just for days I work plus I don't want to leave my wife to handle a newborn by herself while working. We are planning on getting the court order lifted to stop the living restrictions but not for another few years as we need to wait until my step-son reaches a certain age. I am looking to put in a memo for a CCM to Kingston or Trenton. Kingston is 40km away from my house and Trenton is 100km (still far but instead of $450-$500 a month its more like $200-$250) due to more highway driving. I still want to progress in my career and I've been asking for deployments ever since I joined the trade. Right now, as a Cpl, $500 a month just for gas to get to work and back home is rough. Plus there is talks in Ottawa about having everyone pay $30 a day for parking which would be an added $400+ a month.

I'm at a point now where I am literally living paycheck to paycheck using any extra money to pay for bills and food for my family. My wife only works for 16 hours a week at a hospital and will eventually be going on EI for her maternity leave which will make things even harder.

With this, I feel like I could go the CCM route as I don't know if the situation will be fixed within the timeframe of a compassionate posting plus I don't want to stop my career progression or my ability to deploy.

Hello there,

It's an old trade, but I have an inquiry about CCM, so I figured I should post here and not open a new post.

Is there any one around that has experience in CCM or is good in wording that could help me with my memo ? I am a french speaker and even though I can communicate pretty well in english, I find it hard to express what I really want to say by writing. My memos always come back with "wording issues" and I am struggling to find the proper and polite ways to say it. I am doing it in english becaus nobody speaks french in my unit. I am trying to make it painless for everyone.

So if anyone has time to waste, if you can mp me, that would be greatly appreciated !

Back