• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Corner Shot

LeonTheNeon

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/machine_guns/corner_shot/
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/corner_shot/Corner_Shot.htm
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Corner,,00.html

I saw this weapon on an episode of Future Weapon on the Military Channel today.  Pretty nifty.  Invented by a former Israeli IDF officer primarily for CQB situations.  If can be fitted with most pistols, and can also be mounted with a modified M-16 or M-40 grenade launcher.  Watching the host of the show use it is seemed a little cumbersome and slow to manipulate, but that seems to me to be a small price to pay for not having to expose yourself to make a shot, although I'm sure there will be situations where that perceived clunkiness will be an issue.

Any opinions on this piece of technology in general?  Any views as to whether it would be a welcome addition to the Canadian Forces small arms arsenal or is it just a nifty looking gadget with little real-world value?

Infidel-6 said:
ZERO real value.

Out of curisoity (and way out of my lane) do you think there would be any value to a video camera on a rifle linked to a heads up display, like was proposed for the OICW oh so long ago?

It just strikes me now that with quality micro-CCD cameras and advances in Bluetooth and wireless protocols that would be a more likely, practical, and useful alternative to over-engineering the problem.

What do you see as the large drawbacks to the "Corner Shot"?

What initially comes to mind to me:

a) Moving parts or articulated joints have a tendency to wear and/or jam, especially in sandy environments
b) As I mentioned in my first post, watching the host attempt to manipulate the controls seemed really slow and clunky
c) Would accuracy be a problem?  I mean your not supporting the weapon against the shoulder, not such a big deal for the pistol of course, but for the M-16 variant and M-40 I'm thinking that can't possibly be a grant firing stance.  Also, I've never aimed via video, but I wonder how easy that is really.  Is this another point of failure?  What if the camera and weapon aren't aligned?

Anything else that seriously detracts from it that I've missed?

All of the above. AND

Hard to dominate a room from a camera

Basically it fails the rules for CQB

I'd rather send a EOD Robot in with a shotgun...

The offaxial aiming systems from LandWarrior have been un-awe inspiring as well.

LeonTheNeon said:
What do you see as the large drawbacks to the "Corner Shot"?

What initially comes to mind to me:

a) Moving parts or articulated joints have a tendency to wear and/or jam, especially in sandy environments
b) As I mentioned in my first post, watching the host attempt to manipulate the controls seemed really slow and clunky
c) Would accuracy be a problem?  I mean your not supporting the weapon against the shoulder, not such a big deal for the pistol of course, but for the M-16 variant and M-40 I'm thinking that can't possibly be a grant firing stance.  Also, I've never aimed via video, but I wonder how easy that is really.  Is this another point of failure?  What if the camera and weapon aren't aligned?

Anything else that seriously detracts from it that I've missed?

+ tunnel vision, situational awareness. Granted, buddy should have your back, but I wouldn't want to be focused on a video screen...

The corner shot does have one practical and inportant fuction,Hollywood. One was recently featured in an episod of CSI Miami,apparently with a 9mm Glock attched you can hit a target, from behind cover,center of mass,70m away,on the third floor, with one shot-"outstaning!" I couldn't do that with just the gun alone so I'm going out to buy one right away,it will go along with my Desert Eagle .50, handheld Minigun and that cool grenade launching thingy from "Dogs of War".If it works in the movies its gona work in real life. Isn't it?

Kato

Hmmmmmmmm.......one word for this weapon......Garbage. I was a front line troop and that weapon is useless. Too many parts, too flimsy, causes tunnel vision, these are some things I see looking at the Tech Data. Currently, the NATO countries are developing battle field technology called Situation Awareness. Some have Eye pieces that are mounted to the helmet and have a cable running to their weapon mounted sight, this enables the user to see around corners by sticking their weapon(only) around the obstacle. These systems add to the already battle proven weapon without taking away from it. And it enables the user to fire from any position without physically sighting the weapon, and have rounds effectively on target.

T44D -- I disagree with your assesment of the Off Axial Aimers...

Where's the automatic target acquiring system and voice activated trigger control...  ::)

Patrick H. said:
Where's the automatic target acquiring system and voice activated trigger control...  ::)

My, times have changed.  We just called 'em GRITS when I was a young'un

Well......I think this is a matter for "Keeping within one's Lanes".  I doubt some have served GRITS to others in this case.

The germans came up with somthing similar during WWII... basically a bent piece of pipe and a mirror on the front of an MP-44... the "Krumlaff" device, or somthing to that effect... no idea if it was used with any effectiveness.

Just a Sig Op said:
The germans came up with somthing similar during WWII... basically a bent piece of pipe and a mirror on the front of an MP-44... the "Krumlaff" device, or somthing to that effect... no idea if it was used with any effectiveness.

No it wasn't,it was originally designed so that tank crews could "sweep" Infantry from their vehicles by sticking out of a port,it was adapted for use in the uban fighting in Berlin,but was a miserable failure. The Corner Shot is simply an answer to a question that never should have been asked. I'll rely on sound drills and tactics over gadgets any day.

Back