• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of Australian combat soldier's kit soars to $27,700

M

MikeL

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/cost-of-australian-combat-soldier8217s-kit-soars-to-27700/story-e6frg6n6-1226672202534

Cost of Australian combat soldier's kit soars to $27,700
BY IAN MCPHEDRAN From: News Limited Network June 30, 2013 7:59PM

HE value of an Australian combat soldier's personal kit has jumped from $3700 in 1999 to $27,700 in Afghanistan in 2013.

Never again will Australian troops be sent to war with inferior gear thanks to an organisation that acts on soldier feedback and cuts through the red tape to quickly procure the right stuff.

"Diggerworks'' was established in 2010 with a simple mission to stop soldiers complaining about inferior gear by purchasing and developing the best available.

The improvement has been dramatic and the Diggers' basic combat ensemble from East Timor in 1999 that cost $3700 has morphed into a high-tech $27,700 outfit in Afghanistan today.

The 1999 version included a large field pack, Somalia-era flak jacket, old style webbing and camouflage uniform and Vietnam era combat boots.

The 2013 outfit includes multicam uniform, ballistic glasses, tiered body armour, GPS, pelvic protection system, stretch pants, knee pads and high-tech fitted boots.

A collaboration between battle hardened soldiers, defence scientists and the purchasing body - the Defence Materiel Organisation, Diggerworks - has abandoned methods where quantity was king and price was paramount, and streamlined the link between feedback and production.

With a long history of crook boots, overweight body armour, inferior clothing and dodgy packs and pouches, the organisation had plenty to work on and in three short years it has made some big strides.

According to a recent progress report Diggerworks was established to ensure that "the individual components of the soldier combat system were most appropriate given current knowledge, current technology, the soldiers mission, and budgetary trade-offs.''

The report highlighted a long list of problems such as the 2010 purchase of 17,000 sets of inappropriate body armour and it includes solutions and positive projects to further enhance digger safety and comfort.

These include:

* Soldier Combat Ensemble

* Blast gauge system to measure the impact of explosions

* Pelvic protection system

* Ballistic helmets

* Individual water purification systems

* Gunshot detection system to identify the source of enemy fire

* Lightweight ballistic plate

* Improved pistol holster

* Vehicle lumbar support

* Cold weather ensemble

* Medic packs

Work on the soldier combat ensemble includes separate designs for mentoring troops and special forces operators and body armour designed specifically for female troops.

Diggerworks has trialled gunshot detection systems in Afghanistan including one attached to the weapon and two to the body of the soldier.

"These are lightweight items designed to detect and localise the source of incoming high velocity rounds,'' the report says.

Good to see a Nation invest about 6-months' pay into equipping its soldiers!  :nod:

Kind of like buying that engagement ring.  You get what you pay for.

jollyjacktar said:
Kind of like buying that engagement ring.  You get what you pay for.
But with both, you can still end up dead....or wishing so.....regardless.    ;)

I know The Personal has an on option to insure your kit ("because it's the DND's kit, and you're responsible for it") in the event of fire/theft etc, and they will give you $5000 to replace all of it...

UnwiseCritic said:
Any One have a solid estimate on our soldiers kit?

I don't but it just takes a bit of time on the CGCS to get the prices by item.

No doubt that the money spent is justified, but I believe that the article has lumped in a few things that (rightly or wrongly) aren't included in the 1999 estimate.  Biggest glaring example to me is the F88A2; they don't mention a weapon in the 1999 estimate and even then, it would be the same as us adding in a C7A2/C8A1 to our kit list.

A lot of the uniform items seem to be added in because of the switch to Multicam, and regarding the Terra boots, let's just say that a lot of my ADF colleagues immediately bought boots at the US PX when they got into theatre.  Take that as you will.

I too would like to see how much a "typical" Canadian soldier's kit costs.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually close to the Aussie quote, since aside from CADPAT v. Multicam, a lot of the packs, clothing, etc. seem similar (to me at least.) 

The multiband radio probably adds at least $5000, if not $8000. I wonder if every one of their soldiers gets it, might artificially raise the price per soldier.

PuckChaser said:
The multiband radio probably adds at least $5000, if not $8000. I wonder if every one of their soldiers gets it, might artificially raise the price per soldier.

I believe the MBITR/148 is valued at $5000.  Not sure if all Diggers are issued one, if they are it would be weird(IMO) to issue everyone a MBITR and a PRR.

I'm sure the radios, NVGs, lasers, rifle, etc is what makes up the majority of the $27,700.  The helmet, plate carrier/plates, boots, uniforms, etc probably only add up to $1500-$2000.  Plus another $1000+/- for their Mystery Ranch 3DAP(their medium pack) and rucksack.

Dimsum said:
I too would like to see how much a "typical" Canadian soldier's kit costs.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually close to the Aussie quote, since aside from CADPAT v. Multicam, a lot of the packs, clothing, etc. seem similar (to me at least.)

The costs could be similar, but IMO some of kit the typical Aussie Infantryman has is superior to the kit a typical Canadian Infantryman is issued. Referring to their plate carrier and Mystery Ranch packs, etc which are better then the FPV and Small Pack we get IMO.

-Skeletor- said:
I believe the MBITR/148 is valued at $5000.  Not sure if all Diggers are issued one, if they are it would be weird(IMO) to issue everyone a MBITR and a PRR.

I'm sure the radios, NVGs, lasers, rifle, etc is what makes up the majority of the $27,700.  The helmet, plate carrier/plates, boots, uniforms, etc probably only add up to $1500-$2000.  Plus another $1000+/- for their Mystery Ranch 3DAP(their medium pack) and rucksack.

The costs could be similar, but IMO some of kit the typical Aussie Infantryman has is superior to the kit a typical Canadian Infantryman is issued. Referring to their plate carrier and Mystery Ranch packs, etc which are better then the FPV and Small Pack we get IMO.

There individual kit may be better but I guarantee you ours costs as much to make.  One of the big problems we have in Canada is that nobody in our textile industry can produce high quality gear for the military.  We have no companies that are dedicated to producing individual soldier equipment other than someone like CP Gear and I would hesitate to even consider calling them a producer of military gear.

SORD is an Australian Company that produces individual soldier gear and they produce the kit for the Australian Army I believe.  If we wanted to get some of their kit or another companies we would have to buy the patent off them and then find a Canadian producer to make it.  As we have no military/police textile companies in this country this would inevitably raise the cost of our gear considerably.

Actually, you just described Pacific Safety Products. Both a Canadian Company and maker of military and police textile based items. IIRC, they make the current Gen Frag Vest. They are based out of Kelowna BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yes, they do.  But there's better stuff out there.

jollyjacktar said:
Yes, they do.  But there's better stuff out there.

This is my point, the best companies that make this stuff are not Canadian.  They are all either American, British or Australian.  What this means is we need to get their stuff, buy the patent for it and then contract out to a company like Pacific Safety Products.  This obviously costs more then simply just buying it from the source.   

$27000 for kit isn't even that much... consider for a moment...

Canadian soldier dressed for garrison in the winter... prices are guestimates...

Combat Shirt - $75
Combat Pants - $75
Combat Jacket - $250
T-Shirt - $10
Beret - $10
Hat Badge - $10
Rank Slip On - $5
Name Tape - $5
Socks - $5
Toque - $10
Boxers - $5
Goretex Gloves - $100

That's $560, the prices are a guess, but even if you call it $500 to show up dressed for garrison on a chilly day.

RoyalDrew said:
This is my point, the best companies that make this stuff are not Canadian.  They are all either American, British or Australian.  What this means is we need to get their stuff, buy the patent for it and then contract out to a company like Pacific Safety Products.  This obviously costs more then simply just buying it from the source. 
You're right.  I was at one time a dealer and wearer of Second Chance armour.  A Michigan based manufacturer but one I suspect along with many others that would not be willing to sell it off in any way for manufacture by someone else under licence. 

Nevertheless, what I wore in the sandbox was heads and tails above what was available in my early days (FFO, nothing at all really).

a Sig Op said:
$27000 for kit isn't even that much... consider for a moment...

Canadian soldier dressed for garrison in the winter... prices are guestimates...

Combat Shirt - $75
Combat Pants - $75
Combat Jacket - $250
T-Shirt - $10
Beret - $10
Hat Badge - $10
Rank Slip On - $5
Name Tape - $5
Socks - $5
Toque - $10
Boxers - $5
Goretex Gloves - $100

That's $560, the prices are a guess, but even if you call it $500 to show up dressed for garrison on a chilly day.

Plus 100-150$ or so for boots.

So it's probably closer to 700$.

jollyjacktar said:
You're right.  I was at one time a dealer and wearer of Second Chance armour.  A Michigan based manufacturer but one I suspect along with many others that would not be willing to sell it off in any way for manufacture by someone else under licence. 

Nevertheless, what I wore in the sandbox was heads and tails above what was available in my early days (FFO, nothing at all really).

Totally agree but I don't think we should compare what people wore 20 years ago to what people are wearing today, technology in synthetic materials have advanced at such a rapid rate that it is not even comparable.  We are not that bad but could we be better, absolutely.  I look at our boot program as a prime example of something that is totally off the rails.  The fact that we have not admitted as much is a little disturbing.  I don't know about you guys but I haven't worn issued army boots since 2008 when my last pair of Mk III's blew out.  Since then everytime I have gone into clothing stores I get sized and then told I am going to have to wait a few months for my boots to come in.  If we can't procure something as simple as proper footwear for our soldiers how do we expect to fair better with the bigger stuff such as planes, helicopters and tanks? 

Back