• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

course staff officer

hockeysgal

Inactive
Reaction score
I have tried searching for anything on this subject and have come up blank, mainly due to the fact that there is too much traffic on the site and I am unable to use the search function.  So I apologize if this has been discussed before.
This summer I will be a course officer, on which course I am not sure yet.  It will be a reserve BMQ or infantry course probably and most likely in Qc.  Seing as this will be the first time I will be staff rather than student on a course I was wondering if anyone could over any advice, tips...  Or even how it works generally for accomodations, and that kind of thing.  I understand that this will be different from base to base and course to course but I just want to get an idea of what to expect. 

Advice is:

- when you get on ground, speak to your Coy 2 I/C about what he/she expects.  Ask for advice.  Talk to the other Course Os who have experience.

- talk to and learn from your Crse WO and listen to their advice.  It is coming from experience.

- use that info, advice and knowledge but don't let yourself be a bench-warmer as the Crse O.  Make decisions, if they could be better ones you will be told.  ;D

Also for military courses there is a qualification standard, a training plan, and usually master lesson plan so you will know ahead of time what (if you do end up teaching any portion of it) you are supposed to be teaching.

Take some time, get to know the material that needs to be taught, treat your students with respect, participate with them during pt and such (basically get some face time in), and show interest in what is being taught and all will be well in the world.

sidemount said:
Also for military courses there is a qualification standard, a training plan, and usually master lesson plan so you will know ahead of time what (if you do end up teaching any portion of it) you are supposed to be teaching.

Take some time, get to know the material that needs to be taught, treat your students with respect, participate with them during pt and such (basically get some face time in), and show interest in what is being taught and all will be well in the world.

I fully agree with the above.  I've been a Crse O for a number of BMQ-L, PLQ-L (Legacy), PLQ-A, PLQ-Inf, ASA, and heck... probably a few more.  Get into your material and learn it.  Read the TP, not necessarily the chapters which outline particular lessons, but know the TP as it'll be a required reference.  Understand the warning system.  Take a look at the Master Lesson Plans on Documentum for your course.  Don't be adverse to teaching - get out there and interact with them.

Also, REVIEW YOUR STAFF'S WORK.  Always.  The Crse File, which tracks the progress of candidates, is extremely important; however, often it is not well staffed.  That Crse File needs to be able to speak for itself without you there to interpret it for someone.

Lead by example, but don't be afraid to say, "I don't know." You're the Crse O, but it's not expected that you need to be an encyclopedia.  You can always look it up later and get back to them later.

Talk to the Coy 2IC and other Crse O's to see if they have template instructions you can use.  Depending on your crse there will be ranges, and there will most certainly be a FTX.  See if they have a template.  When I was Coy 2IC at a TC I had all the material that a Crse O could use.  Just don't be lazy when given this info.  Read it over, understand it, don't just skim and change a few things.  I know as Coy 2IC I did not take kindly to officer's who couldn't take 30 minutes to read / understand the instructions they were just saved the time to write.

H11F.

|Treat the course and your staff as if they were your platoon.  You are their leader, and they deserve your best.  Don't just "run" the course, lead the team. which includes both staff and candidates.

PPCLI Guy said:
|Treat the course and your staff as if they were your platoon.  You are their leader, and they deserve your best.  Don't just "run" the course, lead the team. which includes both staff and candidates.

Develop command presence. When you walk in a room people know you are the Platoon Commander. Just don't be a jerk about it.

Knowing your Regiment's officers pretty we'll I think it might be useful for you to, you know, ask them?

Your Senior Sub is approachable and has taught courses before, you have Captains who have taught many courses between them, and you have some recently commissioned Senior NCOs who can give you a better idea of what they expect from the NCO perspective.

While it's all well and good to go to the internet - why not go to your Regimental family first?

Either way, good luck! BMQ is a good "intro to course officer" job.

Thanks for all the info guys.  I was actually planning on asking the officers at my Regiment as well but I thought I'd get the perspectives of others as well, more information and points of view can't hurt...

PPCLI Guy said:

Excellent advice!

You are there to do a job as the Course O.  However, use it as an opportunity to also hone and improve your own skills as a Pl Comd.  When I was running courses in Meaford I would try and get as creative as I could with my FTX's, mainly because I wanted to improve my own abilities in the field, but I also wanted to keep things interesting for my NCO's who had been teaching there for years.  I would not make their lives difficult and expect them to take notes during orders or surprise them with curve balls.  Every time orders were given in front of the Pl my Pl 2IC, Sect Comd's and Sect 2IC's all had the orders printed and ready to go for them, and had been briefed on my plan ahead of time.  They truly appreciated being a part of the plan and that we weren't doing the same thing, going to the same area every time.  This also gave the soldiers on course a chance to see battle procedure done properly from start to finish with an active and engaged Pl Comd.

Most of all have fun while being professional.  Running a course is a great time to perfect your own leadership style, especially for a PRes Pl Comd it gives you the opportunity to be a full time Pl Comd and deal with the benefits and challenges of it that you might not get parading Class A at your home unit.

Back