• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coveralls while at sea

darkskye

Inactive
Reaction score
I am going to be going on the Rescue Swimmer course shortly and I had a question regarding dress policy. I was under the impression rescue swimmers were authorized to wear coveralls while at sea. I went to go to Base Clothing today and the civilian working told me only FDU(P/A) and member's of the boarding party are authorized to wear coveralls, not even ship's team divers or rescue swimmers are allowed to wear them. Can anyone confirm that statement?

Thanks

darkskye said:
I am going to be going on the Rescue Swimmer course shortly and I had a question regarding dress policy. I was under the impression rescue swimmers were authorized to wear coveralls while at sea. I went to go to Base Clothing today and the civilian working told me only FDU(P/A) and member's of the boarding party are authorized to wear coveralls, not even ship's team divers or rescue swimmers are allowed to wear them. Can anyone confirm that statement?

Thanks

There was an email discussion on this recently with the Base Chief (MARLANT Dress authority) stating that only submariners and Clearence Divers (and PIDs) are to be issued coveralls and NOT ship's divers (though some may have). I suspect MARPAC's BCPO echoes this. If I stumble across the email in the coming days, I will put some of the contents up here.
This is about all I can find at the moment:
http://halifax.mil.ca/CFBHalifax/BCOMD/pages/bcpo_dress_deportment.html
COVERALLS
Clearance divers (Reg F) and port authority divers (Res F) posted to a fleet diving unit and personnel posted to a submarine are authorized to wear their issued coveralls as walking out dress providing the name tape, unit badge, and qualification badge are properly displayed on the coveralls. When winter dress is in affect, gortex jackets are authorized to wear over the coveralls. Ref : MARGEN 014/11

Also, FF (always) and HT (while employed in HCRFF posn) wear coveralls while at sea.  And, no, the HT's who are acting in HCRFF positions cannot also be used in rescue swimmer  secondary duties concurrently.

It's probably faster to change into a dry suit while wearing coveralls than when you are wearing your NCDs.

Stacked said:
Why on earth do you need coveralls as a rescue swimmer? Not like you wear coveralls under the rescue swimmer suit....

And  the answer is no.  Rescue Swimmers don't get coveralls.

Submariners are authorized to wear coveralls as daily work dress, so are Clearance Divers. (As long as they are badged correctly)

Ships divers and NBP are entitled to coveralls from stores but I can't speak to when they can wear them...

If you're going to answer my question, try to be less of a dick and have the right answer. I was only asking because someone on my ship mentioned wearing coveralls while at sea and I figured since the Base Clothing worker woke up on the same side of the bed as you, I thought I would ask my question here.

Thanks for the replies guys.

darkskye said:
If you're going to answer my question, try to be less of a dick and have the right answer. I was only asking because someone on my ship mentioned wearing coveralls while at sea and I figured since the Base Clothing worker woke up on the same side of the bed as you, I thought I would ask my question here.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Uhmm...You only asked if anyone could confirm what you were told. Because someone elaborated on their answer; an answer you are obviously in disagreement with, don't get mad.

On another note, build a case, submit a Briefing Note to the Dress Committee (headed up by the Base Chief on whatever coast you are on) and see what happens. That said, as I mentioned earlier, someone already took  a kick at this cat a few months back and it did not pass.

I can tell you why Pat: If a rescue swimmer can't get dressed and ready to jump, from wearing NCD's, in the time it takes me to turn the ship around, he/she is not worth having as RS and the few seconds difference a coverall could make him/her gain is not the real issue.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I can tell you why Pat: If a rescue swimmer can't get dressed and ready to jump, from wearing NCD's, in the time it takes me to turn the ship around, he/she is not worth having as RS and the few seconds difference a coverall could make him/her gain is not the real issue.

Exactly.  I just mustered my Rescue Swimmers to confirm what I already knew: they simply put the dry suit on over the NCDs.  So, I too would ask the same question as Stacked, with a similar amount of indignation (which was also apparently shared by the OP's clothing stores rep): why on earth would you need coveralls?

Maybe he wants to .....

Feels_87c0a2_1791360.jpeg

Sound more like a flight suit than a coverall, which I assume the engineering staff uses? I used a flight suit in the CCG which allowed quick undress into my woolies and then Gates drysuit.

So what's this rescue swimmer suit look like? I'd like to see what the issue is here.

That looks like a "Suit-wet-not" Actually in the real world known as a exposure suit. Now this is a coverall

Work-coveralls-safetywear-safety-protective-coveralls-military-uniform-FR-fireproof-uniform-outwear-work-uniform-OL-G5018.jpg

But this looks better

scan0003.jpg

Funny coveralls let you undress faster for everything but taking a poop.

Now I get it, Colin.

The reason the OP wants to wear coveralls is so he can look cool in a sort of retro-gentlemanly way ;).

Of course, the pipe is still not on below deck. :)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Now I get it, Colin.

The reason the OP wants to wear coveralls is so he can look cool in a sort of retro-gentlemanly way ;).

Of course, the pipe is still not on below deck. :)

Not even in the AMR anymore ?  ;)  What about the capstan compartment during rough seas or other "evolution's" ?

And S/L Douglas Bader (the one on the right) does look dapper in his flying suit and pipe.

The best way to cure this is to make the person wear the exposure suit zipped up for the entire watch. I suspect they will be glad to be out of it. I used to have to get out of my flight suit, into woolies, Gates dry suit and gear up all my diving gear myself while bouncing across the waves in a speeding hovercraft, that was for rescue diving, for us rescue swimming involved a double thick wet suit, helmet and harness. Basically a rescue swimmer in the CCG main job was to swim through the surf to shore pulling a line, sort of a "semi-intelligent heaving line"  ;D

Ok what exactly does a rescue swimmer do? Infantry here......small words please....

Back