• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl Steve Martin Killed in Afghanistan - 18 Dec 2010

crooks.a

Inactive
Reaction score
Link to Article

Canadian soldier dies in Kandahar

"A Canadian soldier died Saturday when an improvised explosive device went off while he was on foot patrol in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Cpl. Steve Martin, 24, was a member of the Royal 22nd Regiment from the Canadian Forces base in Valcartier, Que.

He had recently arrived in Afghanistan to conduct security operations in Panjwaii.

The last Canadian soldier to be killed in Afghanistan was Cpl. Brian Pinksen, 21, who died in August when an improvised explosive device detonated while he was on patrol southwest of Kandahar.

Since 2002, 154 members of the Canadian Forces have been killed serving in the Afghanistan mission.

Four Canadian civilians have also been killed, including one diplomat, one journalist and two aid workers."

- CBC News

Rest in peace  :salute:

From this article: http://www.canadaeast.com/front/article/1358505

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - A Canadian soldier is dead following a bomb blast in the vicinity of a major road construction project being pushed by NATO in a volatile district of Kandahar.

Cpl. Steve Martin, 24, a member of the 3rd Battalion Royal 22e Regiment, was killed on Saturday in an attack that happened around 12:30 p.m. local time.

Cpl. Martin belonged to Parachute Company, which deployed to the volatile region last month.

The attack shattered a period of relative calm in the troubled Panjwaii district, where the majority of Canadian troops are based.

It is the first combat casualty the army has suffered since Cpl. Brian Pinksen died of wounds in hospital on Aug. 26, four days after being caught in a bombing in Panjwaii district.

To date, 154 Canadian soldiers have died as a result of the Afghan mission. The figure includes combat deaths, suicides and one death by natural causes.

Also here: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/12/18/soldier-canadian.html

RIP Corporal. Thank you for your service

RIP Cpl Martin

You've done your duty, mon ami....now we must do ours.

Our condolences to the family and friends of Cpl Martin.

:salute: :cdn:

So young, so sad.  RIP Cpl.  If I am not working, I will see you off.

Condolences - condoléances .....  :salute:

CF Statement:
One Canadian Forces member was killed yesterday, December 18th, 2010, after an improvised explosive device detonated while on operations in the Panjwa’i district of Kandahar Province, at approximately 12:30 p.m. local time. 

Killed in action was Corporal Steve Martin, from 3rd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment, serving with 1st Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, based at CFB Valcartier, Quebec.

Our thoughts are with the families and friends of our fallen soldier during this difficult time. We will not forget the sacrifice of this soldier as we continue to bring security and hope to the people of Kandahar Province ....

Commander-in-Chief statement:
Our nation stands together in sorrow today, following the death of Corporal Steve Martin, who died after an improvised explosive device detonated while on patrol in Afghanistan. He was serving with 1er Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, based at Valcartier, Quebec.

While I have just begun my duties as governor general of Canada, I now feel the weight of my responsibilities as commander-in-chief. Like his comrades-in-arms, Corporal Martin displayed an admirable sense of duty to Canada, bringing great pride to his unit and to the Forces as a whole.

The grief brought by this loss is felt throughout the entire military family and by Canadians from coast to coast. On behalf of all of them, I join with my wife, Sharon, in offering our deepest sympathies to Corporal Martin’s loved ones and friends.

PM statement:
"It was with profound sadness that I learned of the loss of Corporal Steve Martin, who died after an improvised explosive device detonated while he was on patrol.  On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to his family and friends during this difficult time.

"Corporal Martin was a brave Canadian who made the ultimate sacrifice while proudly serving his country.

"Thanks to Canadian Forces members like him, we continue to make real progress in Afghanistan, rebuilding the country and contributing to the peace and security of its people.

"We will never forget Corporal Martin's bravery and his sacrifice to make life better for others."

Minister of National Defence's statement:
“I would like to express my deepest and most sincere condolences to the families and friends of Corporal Steve Martin, who died as the result of an improvised explosive device strike while on patrol in Afghanistan.

The UN-sanctioned, NATO-led mission to Afghanistan remains a challenging one, but the Canadian Forces continues to serve and sacrifice, alongside our international partners, in order to help the Afghan people achieve security and stability following decades of conflict. The Canadian Forces face this difficult task, in an extremely harsh environment, with courage and honour, and serve as a representation of Canadian values to the world.

Corporal Martin was an extraordinary Canadian who will always be remembered for the ultimate sacrifice he paid for this nation.”

Sad way to start off this holiday season.

Cpl Martin, thank you for your service. We will now do our duty.

Whenever the sun rises remember I am with you all
The wind will be a sign from there that I'm there with you
The moon is a guide from me that shows you I am in all your thoughts
The rain is my tears falling onto you to let you know how much I loved you
I've left you in body but not in soul
I will always be next to you
I was taken away from you but I am still there
You are all I lived for but I will never forget you
The star in my heart is always bright when you are in my thoughts
Always remember me and never forget I'm always with you

By Pte Kevin Pollard
2 Royal Welch

Our condolences to the family and friends of Cpl Martin. RIP  :cdn:

Nancee & Dave Payne

Our sincere condolences.

Rest in peace Cpl. Martin. My most sincere condolences to your family, your friends and your Regiment.  :cdn: :yellow:

Rest in peace soldier. You will not be forgotten, nor your sacrifice.

Back