• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl Wilcox court martial - Sydney NS

recceguy said:
I don't agree with making this a failure of leadership. They are trained soldiers, not preschoolers in a daycare centre.

You can't train, or guard, against stupidity or mental capacity.

Reading the biography of the Judge http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/bio/dauteuil-lv-eng.asp other than some obscure positions for a few years as a Reserve Infantry Officer, it seems his military time was served with AJAG. Does anyone know whether he's ever had to carry arms on operations? Just wondering.

We can speculate in ad nauseum, or just wait for his sentence I guess.

When members of the C of C are the ones setting the example of what is acceptable behavior, and paying lip service to Orders and not enforcing them in the manner intended it makes one wonder.  I admit that I tended to ignore as much as possible because of the various roles we played in the proceedings, certain things stood out and obviously they did with the Judge as he referred many time to events that occurred during pre-deployment training that, perhaps, should have been dealt with in a more forceful manner.  As well there are events that were presented as evidence early in the deployment, that again cause one to wonder.

When members of the C of C are the ones setting the example of what is acceptable behavior, and paying lip service to Orders and not enforcing them in the manner intended it makes one wonder

I recall my Sr. NCO playing the quick draw game constantly in the tents on pre-deployment training. Did not see it overseas. Have to shake my head at a 35 year old Sgt. acting like a 17 year old though. Saw plenty of that.

What happened should not have. It's really sad to see so many lives impacted badly by something so childish and irresponsible.

Pieman said:
I recall my Sr. NCO playing the quick draw game constantly in the tents on pre-deployment training. Did not see it overseas. Have to shake my head at a 35 year old Sgt. acting like a 17 year old though. Saw plenty of that.

What happened should not have. It's really sad to see so many lives impacted badly by something so childish and irresponsible.

:+1:

Lousy way to Start my roto....

Good riddance to Wilcox though... Anyone who can claim they were all torn up about killing their "Best Friend" and then claims "Self Defence" is utterly unfit to wear the uniform of a CF Member.

Pieman said:

He should have been charged, found guilty and reduced in rank to Cpl - as Master Corporal is an appointment. 

ref: CBC.ca

N.S. soldier guilty of shooting death granted parole
Matthew Wilcox was sentenced to four years in November 2011
CBC News
Posted: Jun 3, 2013 4:56 PM AT
Last Updated: Jun 3, 2013 7:51 PM AT

A former reservist who was found guilty of killing his soldier friend in Afghanistan was granted full parole in January, CBC News has learned.

Matthew Wilcox was sentenced to four years in prison for criminal negligence causing death after he shot 25-year-old Cpl. Kevin Megeney of Stellarton, N.S. in 2007.

Wilcox started on day parole in June 2012, just months after he was sentenced at the Halifax court martial.

The judge, Louis-Vincent d’Auteuil, ruled that Wilcox was playing quick draw – a game that went terribly wrong.

The parole board held two hearings regarding Matthew Wilcox.

It said there is an extremely low chance he will reoffend.

Wilcox has strong support from his family and friends and is attending university. The board said Wilcox displayed a high level of remorse and victim empathy.

The parole board was impressed Wilcox showed openness in seeking assistance when he needed help. The report said police had no concerns with his release.

No special conditions were set out by the board, but in his sentencing, Wilcox was banned from possessing prohibited weapons for the rest of his life. He is also banned from possessing other firearms until 2023.

As always, it's not worth reading the comments after these CBC news reports.

Eye In The Sky said:
Jesus Christ.  WAY too soon IMO.  ::)

Maybe so, but in accordance with the law.

The National Parole Board  paroles all kinds of ne'er do wells. Wilcox is a babe in the woods compared to some.

Jim Seggie said:
The National Parole Board  paroles all kinds of ne'er do wells.
Sadly  :mad:

A friend worked on a parole board for about 6 months before she got fed up having to release scumbags she knew were going to reoffend, but they met the parole-conditions' template.  She took the pay cut and went back to being a guard.

The board said Wilcox displayed a high level of remorse and victim empathy.

Oh ya, I remember that. He said he wasn't playing quick draw and he thought someone infultrated the base and he was defending himself when he put a bullet in his friends stomach.  High level of remorse and empathy for sure.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Oh ya, I remember that. He said he wasn't playing quick draw and he thought someone infultrated the base and he was defending himself when he put a bullet in his friends stomach.  High level of remorse and empathy for sure.

Much higher than your average scumbag that they let go.......

Eye In The Sky said:
Jesus Christ.  WAY too soon IMO.  ::)

Been a while since I did crim law but if I remember correctly and they haven't changed the laws on me, full parole is available after having served 1/3 of the full sentence and day parole is available six months before full parole.

Generally an individual like this, who did something stupid, rather than a calculating hardened criminal, usually goes onto parole at the minimum times unless he did other stupid things while in jail.

He does remain under conditions (set by the board) and if he re-offends or breaks the conditions he could be sent back to serve the remainder of his sentence.

The dates listed here seem in accordance with the law.

Back