• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crazy Eights - CBC Documentary

Baden  Guy said:
Globe & Mail Thursday March 29 2007

http://tinyurl.com/2mpe9s

Crazy Eights is your must-see TV tonight

By ANDREW RYAN 

Thursday, March 29, 2007 – Page R3

Spend any amount of time at an airport and you'll see some of our Canadian soldiers. As in battle, they wear fatigues and travel in packs, invariably hauling enormous duffle bags on their way somewhere. They always look absurdly young. ... The Crazy Eights aren't crazy, of course; in fact, they're like any other nice Canadian kids in their late teens and early 20s. ... Most seem chipper and pragmatic regarding the continuing conflict in Afghanistan. ... Not one Crazy Eight gripes about the harsh conditions, or questions the tour of duty or the broader battle mission. ... Some admit they miss watching hockey, however. We are Canadian.

I've been travelling a fair bit over the last year or so and the first observation, about seeing 'packs' of 'absurdly young' soldiers struck a chord - it's not just Canadians, US airports are full of them, too.

Now and again we chat: a Canadian saw the logo on my golf shirt and stopped and told me how proud he is to be perpetuating our Regimental tradition; an American soldier bumbed into me, apologized and we shared a pjysical 'in joke,' common to those with canes and crutches, re: which could knock the props out from under the other.  He was heading home for a few weeks medical leave but couldn't wait to recuperate and rejoin his unit.

'Absurdly young,' indeed but impressive, full grown, men and women who make me so very proud.

Know what you mean. I look at my son, and it all comes back as though I never left.....boy, is pride a wonderful thing.

Bump.

Am watching it now, and from what's been on...it's looking pretty darn good!!

Vern

Wow, has the Canadian look and experience changed since I was in Kabul in 2003/2004 (OP ATHENA Roto 0)

It made a Navy guy like myself proud.

Awesome.

Well,

Normally I hate the Leafs...but after that, I've got to say... Come on Leafs Get a Grip!!

Good job boys!!
57 freaking days.

Yeah it was great. Wish I recorded it. Yeah Vern I like that part too, even though I can't stand them  >:D    :cdnsalute:

career_radio-checker said:
(It's probably been posted on army.ca before, but If you haven't seen Coach's Corner from this past Remembrance Day it is particularly touching as it features some photos from the Crazy 8s and Red Devils.  Enjoy :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlQM2cQDSlU

I hadn't seen that before...thanks for posting the link to it.  Don and Ron, a class act all the way.

One of my civvie business clients works for a company that supplied a lot of the production equipment and tipped me off about this a while back.  He told me that when their equipment got back from Afghanistan the dust had gotten literally everywhere and it was a nightmare to try to clean it out - essentially it involved a lot of detailed work under microscopes.  We've got a tap in the VCR for it tonight, I can't wait to see it.  The website has a good journal and lots of still photos from the makers' stay in Afghanistan.

Excellent documentary.  I'm more certain than ever I made the right decision to go with the Royal Canadian Regiment (geographical convenience not withstanding.  :p)

Excellent show!!!!!!! Well done to the producers!!!!!!!!!

My favorite part of that doc was when the one guy was writing Grapes, making reference to Mats Sundin and said something to the effect of- "I could die out here, and would never see the Leafs win a cup.  Let that be on your conscience!"

I haven't laughed so hard at something in a long time.  Whoever that guy was, was brilliant.

I found it to be very interesting BUT every second word still follows the time honored "F..K" Kind of hard to use in the classroom if you are teaching the latest and greatest news in attempting to convert the unbelieving masses. I know hard habit to break and to this day we still get glares from the old biddies in the legion when we regress to tradition.

I fell asleep and missed the first half of it. I did manage to catch some, and it seemed good. I'll have to check and see if there will be an encore show.

Pea said:
I fell asleep and missed the first half of it. I did manage to catch some, and it seemed good. I'll have to check and see if there will be an encore show.

According to the CBC website, it's "repeating Saturday March 31 at 10pm ET/PT on CBC Newsworld."

Back