• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Credit Counseling

HavocSteve

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a credit counseling service  that they have previously used or are currently using. I've never used one but heard mention that they are a wonderful help and I could use some help.

Thanks~

Try your hand with consumer protection groups and or agencies; community groups also often have such services.

But most important, just start by making a budget...and sticking to it. Then clear your debts one by one. It takes patience, dedication and hard choices, but eh!

There aren't many national chains for such things, most credit counsellors are one person with one office so you should be asking around where you live for recommendations. Any credit counsellor/bankruptcy trustee will be a good start. Most will see you for free for the initial consultation and nearly all will be able to consolidate your debt into one single monthly or weekly payment and get you off the 20%+ credit card interest hamster wheel I suspect you're on. Heck, your local credit union (and maybe major bank, I don't bank with one) may offer such a thing. Look in your yellow pages or ask where you do your banking. Like any other professional service, go with the person who seems trustworthy and who seems to understand your situation.

Your profile says you’re in Oshawa

Here’s a couple of links in the GTA area to get you started

http://www.creditcanada.com/

http://www.debtorsanonymous.ca/

http://www.inchargecanada.ca/

Well at the moment I'm currently unemployed with the EI. So I wanted to make most use with my tax return and get most of my debt payed off so there can be little if not any debt left. I was ok'ed by the Sgt. in the interview but I would still like to get rid of most of it. Unfortunately, I fell into a very nice job and thought I had life by the balls, but then the economy tanked and since I was last to be hired.. I was first to get let go for budget reasons =\

So now that you know my life story.. lol I'll be contacting one of those links you sent me Danjanou. I just want to get something that won't take to much money but hopefully lower some of what I do owe.

"Unfortunately, I fell into a very nice job and thought I had life by the balls, but then the economy tanked"...

Now that you've had this experience, would you do it all over again ??  Or would you learn from it ???  (There's many like you who have gone thru this same dark road)

bigcletus said:
"Unfortunately, I fell into a very nice job and thought I had life by the balls, but then the economy tanked"...

Now that you've had this experience, would you do it all over again ??  Or would you learn from it ???  (There's many like you who have gone thru this same dark road)

Yep, learned very much so. It sucks when you know you can't even pay things off. It's a very small debt but from what the CF's stand point is about debt... well yea. Lesson learned and now it's time to right the wrong.

Back