• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Credit Score

JSoff

Subscriber
Reaction score
Alright so I turned 19 last month and generally a little worried about credit score. When I was younger I had a joint bank account with my mother, after many attempts my mom tried to get me to close my account after she left the bank I kept my account open because I had no issues, after a month my account was frozen and when I called to ask why I was told I owed $900! now I never ever went negative in that account, but because my mom had a check bounce in her account and she no longer had an account the fee went over to my account. I have never received a call from a collection agency or any mail hinting towards me owing anything. I know I may be over thinking this but will this effect my reliability check? I know this question is a little premature but I want to get everything sorted out now apposed to a month or so from now when my application is almost finished being processed.

They want to know if you'll be able to meet your financial obligations with your CF salary. A 900$ debt is really not a big deal. Ideally it'd be better to pay it back if it's still on your record though. Call your bank and see what's up.

Chelomo said:
They want to know if you'll be able to meet your financial obligations with your CF salary. A 900$ debt is really not a big deal. Ideally it'd be better to pay it back if it's still on your record though. Call your bank and see what's up.

Well it wasn't something I was supposed to owe, I think if it does come up I will let them know how it happened and if anything my mother does have proof that it shouldn't effect me. Thanks for the response though! Much appreciated.

My credit check came back bad. I was told last week that the border line is $2000. If you are in debt of more, then they will not check mark off the liability until that debt is under $2000. They said it is seen as aiding and abetting the person to get them away from debt collectors and such. So for them to check mark that your liable, long as it is under $2000 then you will be okay, but they will most likely ask you about any debt that you have, and if there are any plans in place to repay that debt.
(Mine was over $2000)

-Brandonfw

When my application first went through processing, I had about $1500 in credit card debt, a $3000 student line of credit which was maxed out from school, and almost $18,000 in Ontario student loan debt. This sounds like a towering amount of debt compared to the what the OP is carrying, but it really isn't all that uncommon for people just coming out of school.

My reliability screening and credit checks all came back fine. I was simply asked in the interview whether or not I believed my salary as a member of the Canadian Forces would be sufficient to cover my debt, which it certainly would be, and all was fine and dandy with  my application.

If you're able to pay back the $900 immediately, then go ahead and do so and ease your mind. If you aren't, then I don't think you need to be overly worried until the CF tells you to be. $900 in consumer debt is really a very small amount when compared to what the average Canadian adult carries.

I've recently been through the recruiting process. When I initially had my interview, I had approx 10000 dollars in debt. I had to make sure theses bills were paid off before my application could move any further through the process (which I done). However, at the time I was in collection agencies. It's best to have anything and everything paid off in my own personal opinion. It makes you look more appealing as a recruit.

As a result I just recently received word that my application was being moved forward to be merit listed.

Traintosucceed said:
I've recently been through the recruiting process. When I initially had my interview, I had approx 10000 dollars in debt. I had to make sure theses bills were paid off before my application could move any further through the process (which I done). However, at the time I was in collection agencies. It's best to have anything and everything paid off in my own personal opinion. It makes you look more appealing as a recruit.

As a result I just recently received word that my application was being moved forward to be merit listed.

Way to bring back a month old post, but I checked my credit score and this didn't effect it at all it likely went towards my mothers credit. 

Back