• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crossfit & the CF

plattypuss said:
  On the Zone diet I've dropped about twenty lbs in total (10 of that just prior to the Cabot Trail)

I hope that was 20 lbs that you put on since I last saw you, cause if it isn't you must be an awful scrawny little 'runt' now.....  :eek:      ;D

plattypuss said:
........  By the way, although he advocates the Atkins diet in earlier issues, he predominately talked about the "Zone" diet during the seminar.  I know from personal experience I only lasted about three days on Atkins because I found I had no energy to do any kind of work-out.  On the Zone diet I've dropped about twenty lbs in total (10 of that just prior to the Cabot Trail)

I am really starting to question my memory retention capabilities...... The other day I mis-attributed a quote to the CDS, and yesterday I would have sworn that Dr Atkins had written "Into the Zone". Too much aluminum in my diet.....

Anyway, I am fairly determined to try ONE of those style's of diet's, not so much for weight loss, but as you alluded to, I am interested in having more energy, not less, when I work out. Weight loss would be beneficial, of course, especially for the plethora of body-weight exercises in Xfit. Alas, my eating discipline is not as strong as my exercise discipline, but perhaps I can convince 9'er Domestic into going along, and making it a family affair. My kids will probably revolt and rise up against us, but I'm pretty sure I can take the 2 year old......

I think the thing that sold me the most of XFit wasn't that it was a bunch of tree-huggers goin on about how good it was, it was all the military and emergency services types, and the emphasis on how the activities that "we" (as in military, and emergency services) have to prepare for are of a short, intense duration (chasing down a scumbag and throwing them to the ground (a few dozen times), scaling over walls, kicking in doors, carrying pers), not 20km runs, or doing a french curl to improve the look of our triceps in 2 sizes too small t-shirts (you know who you are.....).

As for wussing out and running instead of going hard with Xfit: hang your head in shame :threat: I would rather do the Filthy Fifty (the 9 exercises of 50 reps each) than go on a mind-numbing 20km run any day. At least the Filthy Fifty is over in ~40 minutes (for me, anyways), not 1:40:00 (I'm built for comfort, not speed).

Al

Allan Luomala said:
I am really starting to question my memory retention capabilities...... The other day I mis-attributed a quote to the CDS, and yesterday I would have sworn that Dr Atkins had written "Into the Zone". Too much aluminum in my diet.....

Anyway, I am fairly determined to try ONE of those style's of diet's, not so much for weight loss, but as you alluded to, I am interested in having more energy, not less, when I work out. Weight loss would be beneficial, of course, especially for the plethora of body-weight exercises in Xfit. Alas, my eating discipline is not as strong as my exercise discipline, but perhaps I can convince 9'er Domestic into going along, and making it a family affair. My kids will probably revolt and rise up against us, but I'm pretty sure I can take the 2 year old......

Try the paleo diet  www.thepaleodiet.com.

Don't try the "driving across Canada diet" consisting of chips, weird meat sandwiches,and McDonald's...yes McDonald's.After 2 years I broke and had a bigmac and SUPERSIZED fries.Needless to say I feel like crap (sort of like a discusting food hangover)and am off to the gym to give this crossfit a try.

Al,you know deep down inside you enjoy the 1:40:00 run don't deny yourself!

Also you guys who have been doing crossfit for a while have you noticed huge results?

rcac_011 said:
Also you guys who have been doing crossfit for a while have you noticed huge results?

What do you define as huge?  For me personally, since doing crossfit regularly since January (started off and on since July 05), I have gone from going from doing 1-2 pullups from a dead hang to 11.  I improved my run times, by only using the runs in the WOD's, my max pushups have gone up, same for sit-ups.  Also dropped about 10-15lbs of body fat, put on about the same in muscle (mind you I do supplement with, creatine, NO2 and protein shakes).

I have been mixing in some crossfit and changing my workouts up a bit. I still run a lot and bike a lot as well. I've noticed that i have more muscular endurance and still have some 'oomph' left when riding up hills or through technical spots on the trails. I am leaving my riding friends behind a bit. I'm pretty sure its a result of some of the CrossFit stuff - many squats and lots of hip flexor stuff.

I have to agree with Signals guy, Coach Glassman (the founder of CrossFit) is an avid biker (like cult bicyclist - he admits it) and says that he definitely notices the differences on the hills between himself and the crossfitters - crossfitters have more gas left in the tank during the climbs.  I think I noticed that on my hill run circuits as well - squats definitely give you more oomph on the hills but if you incorporate squats in your regular workouts and don't neglect your legs like most body building types do - you would see some benefit. I've seen increases in my chin-ups for the short period that I've been incorporating crossfit workouts in my "program". It was rather embarrassing to see where my chin-ups had fallen too so many years after Basic, where the minimum was 7. 

Al, as Hatchetman mentioned the two diets most talked about on the Crossfit website are the Paleodiet and the Zone - there is also an increasing "movement" towards intermittent fasting which I am reading up on.  Check out the performancemenu website link in the "friends" of crossfit website - you can download one issue for free and its pretty much dedicated to "eating to improve your workout". I downloaded issue 17 and have another copy at home of a later issue. I'll try and get them to you if you are interested.

I have been toying with the idea of reducing my running workouts and just doing the crossfit WODs but I am a little hesitant because first I had the Cabottrail and next I have the Army Ten miler in Washington to train for and I don't think that the Crossfit workouts can prepare you for the longer distances involved in these type of races ie 15km +.  According to Coach Glassman these running distances should be minimised because they do the body more harm then good, although there are a lot of Xfitters who marathon, ironman triathlon etc.

An interesting theory related to the use of the hip flexor in running brought up in a crossfit journal - is that the US Navy Seals, when they changed from performing situps to doing crunches, found that there running times slowed. They went back to doing situps because it was felt that the hip flexor was weakening by not doing the traditional situp.

George - Is that why you were always feeding me donuts when I came up to the Archive office?

Hey all,
This is for all you troops in Toronto. The Crossfit Toronto Centre is hosting a 4 hour seminar from on Saturday, May 5 from 1PM-5PM on the crossfit training regimen at 388 Carlaw Avenue suite 301 for all military personnel for 30 bucks. The seminar will cover the theory behind crossfit training, practice some basic movements like kettlebell swings, snatches and squats to name a few and conclude with a crossfit workout that will beat your hide into a sweaty pulp and/or have you reaching for the puke bucket. There will also be an unarmed combat instructor who specializes in edged weapon disarms doing some demos. If you plan on coming, please message me. If the price is a problem, msg me. Thank you for allowing this shameless plug. ;)

Do you have to give the secret crossfit handshake at the door?

For all the CrossFitters out there (and those that are curious), the Infantry School will be going "live" with the CrossFit instructional videos, graphics, coaching tips, etc that they filmed with the CrossFit crew back in November, in late May or June, on the Internet and Intranet. This will precede the "official" adoption of the Combat Fitness Program (the new, new name for the program, after AOFP, and the others) into the AFM.

We just had a 3 day Level 1 certification here in Gagetown, and there were members of the national PSP program there to observe/take part (along with some great troops from the USMC doing the same) to see what all the fuss is about. Notwithstanding some resistance from a few of these people (did I say 'some'?!? I meant 'a lot', from "cardio" types. Read as: they can probably run really, really good, but their fitness wasn't worth writing home about) , I think it's safe to say that Coach Glassman has convinced enough people that he has an excellent program that he is willing to share. It's all free, BTW. Now it's just a matter of peopling hoisting it aboard.

No secret handshake required, only your own Kool-aid glass. And the willingness to sweat, come to the nearly-vomiting stage, and have fun: it doesn't have to be fun to have fun.

Al

Great news, I've been going to Capital Crossfit since Feb and it's the best PT I've ever done. Got a wicked case of DOMS right now too... it's the good type of pain! ;D

Allan Luomala said:
For all the CrossFitters out there (and those that are curious), the Infantry School will be going "live" with the CrossFit instructional videos, graphics, coaching tips, etc that they filmed with the CrossFit crew back in November, in late May or June, on the Internet and Intranet. This will precede the "official" adoption of the Combat Fitness Program (the new, new name for the program, after AOFP, and the others) into the AFM.

Good to see, cause the one in the Army fitness manual gets boring quick - as long as they don't name all the exercises with stupid girl names.

Funny that simple cross-training is considered "new".

Seeing as I don't have the time, nor inclination, to take your bait, Infanteer, other than to say this: I'm not sure where you get that this (CrossFit) is "simple cross-training". Yes, the exercises can be construed as such, but it isn't that simple, as nutrition, sports, understanding of overall fitness are part of it. It would require work and reading on your part to figure it out, but I'm guessing that that is, well, too much like work. Easier to dismiss things as what they appear. That's OK, it's your loss. Keep doing what you're doing. Wait for the perfect solution to be delivered on a silver platter, then bitch about that.

Al

P.S The "stupid girl names" are used (like the way that names are used for hurricanes, etc) so that people would remember the exercises. They also use the first names or nicknames of soldiers who CrossFitted that have been killed overseas (Murph, Micheal) as a means of honouring their sacrifices. That's pretty dumb too, I imagine. A little reading would have garnered you that information, but no time for that, when you can jack up your post count on Army.ca. Yes, I'm pissy tonight.

Allan Luomala said:
I get it (finally)!!!!!! If you agree with everyone here, you are "in". If you don't, you aren't!!

Wow, it only took me 200+ posts to figure it out. Which again reaffirms my theory that the army is just high school with guns.

I vaguely recall that people are allowed to agree to disagree with one another (lord knows I do it enough).. . . . . .

And a bit forgetful tonight as well.  God forbid anyone disagreed with something you promoted...

dileas

tess

Have done crossfit don't see the appeal nor the use honestly. Probably going to get hammered by those that whorship at the alter of cross fit but hey that's my opinion

Allan Luomala said:
Seeing as I don't have the time, nor inclination, to take your bait, Infanteer, other than to say this: I'm not sure where you get that this (CrossFit) is "simple cross-training". Yes, the exercises can be construed as such, but it isn't that simple, as nutrition, sports, understanding of overall fitness are part of it. It would require work and reading on your part to figure it out, but I'm guessing that that is, well, too much like work. Easier to dismiss things as what they appear. That's OK, it's your loss. Keep doing what you're doing. Wait for the perfect solution to be delivered on a silver platter, then bitch about that.

Let me ask you this - were people in shape before crossfit?

Is it really new when you throw a sprint and an airsquat together and give the workout a name?

Is incorporating a diet into your fitness plan unique?

Do you really have the call the guy "Coach"?  It's kinda creepy.

Like I said, it's cool that the idea is being incorporated into the Army Fitness Program - the exercises and dietary approaches are good.  I use the odd routine amongst my physical training schedule as it works and it is a good change up.  However (it's always the big however that gets the crossfitter's panties in a knot), there is nothing new to this - I was using a similar approach to fitness 10 years ago when I found the "Ranger Work-Up" or the "Aussie 4RAR Training Plan" on the internet.  I just find it odd that people think this is the silver bullet of training - after seeing guys who tried it and didn't like it soldier some crossfitters into the ground it was pretty much confirmed.

Here's my advice to people reading this site - try Crossfit.  Be careful and ease your way into it and read the website - it explains how to do it properly; if you start squatting the Workout of the Day right off the bat, you're going to hurt yourself.  Look around; there is some other good cross-training approaches to PT - some that are geared right towards the military and include rucking and (for you guys who want to be commandos) swimming, etc, etc.  Find something that you like doing and build a plan around it - mix and match if that's what it takes.  Learn about the body and how to train it and (more importantly) how to fuel it.  Stick to the plan - consistency is the key - this is one of the nice things with the Crossfit program is that they offer you a Workout of the Day; but they definitely didn't patent it.

Anyways, there's my 2 cents.  Can I be called "Coach" now too?

P.S The "stupid girl names" are used (like the way that names are used for hurricanes, etc) so that people would remember the exercises. They also use the first names or nicknames of soldiers who CrossFitted that have been killed overseas (Murph, Micheal) as a means of honouring their sacrifices. That's pretty dumb too, I imagine. A little reading would have garnered you that information, but no time for that, when you can jack up your post count on Army.ca. Yes, I'm pissy tonight.

Whatever - when somebody comes out and says "Ok boys, we're doing Debbie this morning" it just sounds stupid.

PS: 9,128.  :-*

I don't know of anybody that calls CrossFit exercises 'new', except people who want to hear that. In the CrossFit journals, they have references to Navy gymnastics and tumbling manuals from the 40s and 50s. That's pretty much shooting themselves in the foot for people who want to call something new. How about kettlebells? Those are pretty freakin' new. Must have MP3 players in them, or something. The nutrition aspect is the same. They advocate some pretty old eating habits, such as the Paleo diet (aka The Caveman Diet), not Space Ranger Rick Diet. As somebody (perhaps you, Infanteer, said on this very forum: "It's old wine drunk from a new bottle". I used that line with Mr Glassman (or "Coach"), and he liked it. Probably heard it before, so maybe he was humouring me....

There are Xfitters who call this new, and revolutionary, and such. These are the same people who thought the Swiss ball was new. They will die off in a couple months after the new fad appears. There's a line from a Sloan song that goes: "It's not the band I hate: it's their fans".

There will be, if it already hasn't happened, a Xfit backlash. What people thought they "discovered" will become more mainstream, and will howl that it "sold out". Typical for anything that starts from the fringes.

I think one of the biggest appeals to Xfit is the fact that it isn't anything "new", but things that people have been doing for years (albeit incorrectly). There is gymnastics (remember rope climbing, pull ups, rings); weight training (not weight lifting) particularly Olympic lifts, which are functional movements, not like bicep- and leg-curls; and sports (either the sport of Xfit, for those like me that aren't team sports guys, or traditional sports). You only have to unlearn bad habits (my bugbear) and learn some new skills, and then give 'er. We had 3 Navy SEALs (who work for Coach Glassman) relate their pre- and post- Xfit experiences in A'stan and Iraq, and they all had similar storys to tell: they started out the same as most of us. Weightlifting Mon, Wed, Fri and then LSD runs Tues, Thurs, Sat and they THOUGHT they were in good shape. Then after realizing on ops, and after one guy was WIA and undergoing therapy, that there had to be something better. So yeah, if you can outsoldier some SEALs/CrossFitters, I wanna be there for that. I smoked some USMC guys (from Parris Island, Coronado, and elsewhere) on 2 of the CrossFit workouts we did in our seminar, but that's only because I've been doing those workouts longer. I have no doubt that in 2 weeks, they would surpass me. Good for them, and good for me, because I'm going to try to make sure that if there is a rematch, I won't let that happen  :mad:

As for the calling Mr Glassman "Coach", I too find it odd, somewhat like the Seinfeld episode about the Maestro. That could be because I never was into team sports much, so never had a whole lot of coaches in my day. Why not "coach", though?? What do you call someone who finishes dead last in their med school class??? Doctor. I think that Coach Glassman has earned that honorific (of"Coach", though I suspect he has more letters after his name as postnominals than he lets on, but doesn't introduce himself as Greg Glassman, ABC, DEFG, HiJK, LMnO, etc, like some people like to do, to make themselves feel more important than they perhaps are). Infanteer, if you want to be called Coach, fill your boots. You chose "Infanteer" as your title, but I doubt you have 30 years of being one, whereas Coach Glassman has 30 years of experience in his field. I respect the man immensely, and on the 2 occasions that I have had the honour of talking with him, he didn't give rat's ass number one if we called him Greg, Mr Glassman, Coach, or Buds. A very smart, generous man. Anybody who has the opportunity to speak with him should.

I remember going to a local bar a few years back, and the SoftCell song "Tainted Love" came on. My wife, her friends and I thought: "I haven't heard this song in YEARS!! How retro". And from a few feet away we heard young 'uns saying: "This song is so NEW!! What is it?!?!?". Not sure if my analogy is relevant, but suffice it to say, everything that is old is new again. The interesting thing about things like CrossFit (all their info is provided free, if you are willing to dig enough, so I don't know where the "patented" aspect comes from, especially since they "market" themselves as open source) is the number of people (military, LEO, emergency services) who are embracing it, people who are generally cynical about the "latest greatest" thing. Maybe some people just don't like being late for the band-wagon....

Al

HitorMiss said:
Have done crossfit don't see the appeal nor the use honestly. Probably going to get hammered by those that whorship at the alter of cross fit but hey that's my opinion

I guess I'll be called one of the 'worshipers', but I don't plan on hammering you. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I am curious how long you tried CrossFit for? did you do the WOD as prescribed, 3 days on, 1 day off?

Now to try and steer the conversation in a new direction:

Crossfit and the Air Force
I'm an aspiring AF OCdt at 'charm school'.  Are there any AF types out there who do CrossFit? Are there even AF types up on high who worry about AF fitness programs like the Army?
The biggest plus of CrossFit to me as an OCdt/undergrad student, is the timing. I can get over to the gym, warm up, do the WOD, quick cool down and back to the shacks in an hour on most days.

There is a few of us...a few...The best thing is that I can do most of the WOD here at the park right in front of my house. I've been doing crossfit workouts for about 1 year now.
I don't see the AF using crossfit as pt. Most of them will suffer heart attacks from it. they are so out of shape that the staff will need to bring them up to a standard before starting with crossfit.

LAV Capt is big on CrossFit, did it for about a month on and off had no gains and actualy lost fitness level for myself so I said forget it and did what was told during PT then did my own work outs based on the old army style of run, rucks with push ups and sit ups at the end...

I am sure it works for people I just thing it's not as good as people think or say and I hate the cult menatily of it. Plus like I said I lost fitness level on it.

Back