• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crossfit & the CF

I am believer in personal preference however, if it works for you awesome. I just don't subscribe to that system as being perfect, which by and large is the general concensus of members of the crossfit religion.

And WB you know you love me, it's my smile  ;D

We're actually more of a cult.

What you can't deny though, is Crossfit's popularity within the realm of military, police, and security services.  Things don't get to be so popular unless there's something to it.

Hey Fellas,

I got a tin or white paint, that I glued a 20 lbs weight at the bottom.  A brush I have attached to a 15lbs Barbell, and a pile of rocks.

Of you go and play!!  :blotto:

dileas

tess

:-*

Come again?

I read "paint" and "rocks" in the same sentence. Is that a slight against The Regiment?

Wonderbread said:
Come again?

I read "paint" and "rocks" in the same sentence. Is that a slight against The Regiment?

Uhm,

No...no,  Uhm I mean.  I as a former leader tried to motivate the two of you to work together, as a team....ya that's it....

Hey is that a baseball game, I think the batter just hit a fowl....

I am outta here....zoinks!

dileas

tess

FWIW, when I joined the CF, infantry, there was no formal fitness program outside of the Airborne course, which I thought was excellent by the way. Phase  II fitness training involved running around in boots alot with our rifles over our heads and such, then lots of sect/pl attacks, then marching 30kms back to the barracks. No suprise that many people wound up 'broken' in one way or another. I can't remember any formal fitness training during Phase III, due to 'time constraints' apparently.

Contrast that experience with my time in the British Army where just about every course had some kind of formal, professionally delivered fitness program based on a combination of running and gym work (very similar to the Crossfit stuff) leading up to the main event - lotsa tabbing (a.k.a. ruck marching). There was never any argument about what type of PT we were doing or in what order, everyone just did it because it was part of the corporate culture. PTIs ran alot of it, but everyone from Private to General could lead a pretty good PT session as a result.

If Crossfit is a cult, then let's all drink the juice and introduce a universal, high quality, challenging combat fitness culture across the CF and get on with being better prepared physically to blow things up and kill people.  :pT:

BulletMagnet said:
I disagree, I was, I dislike crossfit in the extreme and find it next to useless IMO.

Umm, can you be a bit more specific?  How did you find it useless, where were you doing CrossFit, who was leading you (if there was anyone or if you were doing it solo).  Making a blanket statment that you find something useless without providing specifc reasons for that is a little disengenuous.

Again I disagree. One of those Units has a manual for training before selection and tho there are some elements of crossfit is in there it is not crossfit centric for a reason. The other unit will soon have one and again may have elements but will not be centric. Those training manuals are and will be the best programs for passing those selections.

The JTF 2 manual is not CrossFit centric because it came out years prior to the CF/PSP hearing of, and studying the CrossFit method.  The PSP at DHTC run CrossFit classes (by name). 

Sorry Wonderbread I dislike crossfit. I am not a person who will be found worshiping at the alter of crossfit. For myself I don't gain fitness I lose previous benchmarks in other areas with no gain in others.

Unless you are implementing it wrong (lack of consitency/diet/intensity/rest), or your workout routine is heavily centred around bb/powerlifting routines (and their associated benchmarks), there is no reason I can fathom why your benchmarks would be going down. 

Crossfit is not the god of PT that many people will tell you.

And thats your OPINION only.

www.brassringfitness.com

Can find some good work outs on the site; most if not all of them are crossfit/crossfit inspired. They are pretty hard; but you can scale them back to suite you though.  A lot of the stuff on the site you have to pay for; but there is lots of free stuff.

And back to the principles. As stated many times before, yet seems to be glossed over, is the fact that ALL of us are different (height, weight, bone structure, muscle fibre types etc etc). The Bell curve works, I guess, as an analogy. Most of us will fit somewhere in the middle.
I for one have wasted countless hours in the gym following one program after another (mostly high volume, muscle-mag type regimes). Reason being: I did not stop and think about what I was doing, and what was going on physiologically before, during and after a workout. Bottom line, I did not think critically or rationally about exercise. Whatever the flavour of the month was.
Until I drank the High Intensity (Mike Mentzer, Arthur Jones, Dr. Ellington Darden, Brian D. Johnston) or HIT KoolAid and realised that some very smart people approached exercise from a medical/scientific (ie rational) point of view, vice simply saying "Do this and it will work for you, because it worked for Schwartzenegger or BUD/S Top Candidate X". Here is a quick link to one of the articles that explore the myths and facts about bodybuilding/strength-training programs.

http://www.exercisecertification.com/books/Excerpts/Rational%20Strength.pdf

Whatever program or "bad-wagon" you jump on, stop and think about what you want to achieve (bodybuilding vs ultra-marathon or something in between) and realise that exercise has to be prescribed (as someone posted earlier) to suit the goal AND your unique physiology (metabolism, starting strength, recovery ability, existing injuries/limitations, other stressors in your life). Simply stating "I tried routine X for a month and it didn't work for me" is something we hear too often (not to mention getting tired of "preachy" advocates.
Regarding CrossFit or whatever you want to call it, same applies. Think about your fitness end-state (if there is such a thing) and your unique attibutes. Think critically about the scalability of the system as well as the "prescribed" number of reps/sets (ie volume) and workout days (ie frequency). The WODs given are examples or suggestions, not "presciptions" and are maybe good benchmarks for testing - they do seem arbitrary though come to think about it. Those of average to below average recovery ability (myself included) have to realise that unlike some people with greater genetic potential, we have to be more careful about overtraining. Maintaining a CrossFit regime (3 on 1 off as "prescribed") with the high volume of work required per workout is just too much, personally (from personal experience with high-volume training). To someone else, maybe the perfect fit. I could easily do this for a month or two, hit a plateau and actually start losing muscle/energy, and dismiss the program/routine as bogus. No, the basic premise of the program (eg. achieve and maintain well-balanced fitness) may have been sound (and achievable), but the methodology may have been flawed due it not being tailored to the individual.

Personally, I have found HIT (properly applied) has worked the best for me over time vice the high-volume/periodization approach. However, I have begun to substitute CrossFit-like activities (at moderate intensity) as a way of getting away from the overly linear and mechanical lifting demanded by HIT (one set per exercise to momentary muscular failure back to back, no more than 10-12 exercises per workout). Having done some of the CrossFit routines so check for baseline muscular endurance, I have found that HIT actually benefitted me and the results were good. Again, I have to rethink the whole intensity/frequency/volume equation to ensure I consistently achieve better results every time I work out while staving off the beast known as overtraining.

I have gone on a rant about this on other posts, but seems like the same themes are being brought up here, with everyone tap-dancing around the core principles. Bottom line - before trying to sell ANY program/routine/system as the be-all-end-all, think about it first (requires more work at the front-end, but will save months if not years of frustration and shooting in the dark).

daftandbarmy said:
If Crossfit is a cult, then let's all drink the juice and introduce a universal, high quality, challenging combat fitness culture across the CF and get on with being better prepared physically to blow things up and kill people.  :pT:

Here, here!

PT is given the short end of the stick in this Army.  From improper preparation of our leaders to deliver PT classes to PT being the first thing written off for weeks at a time in order to do other things.

Then the established fitness standards need to be reviewed and revised (too many easy ways out with CF EXPRES) and establish more stringent penalties for not meeting the requirements. A "not deployable" slap on the wrist (and perhaps promotions as well, but...) seems to be a copout, as a good number of people actually would find this a welcome excuse, and the CF already has too many HQs that have a "non-deployable" status. This is where the out-of-shape soldier is bred and nourished.
If I understand things correctly, if a soldier is "non-deployable" (eg because of certain allergies), that's it, you're out. Granted, physical fitness is something that can be fixed (unlike a lot of allergies), however, when certain individuals are on remedial PT to fix their EXPRES scores for the umpteenth time without severe consequences there is a problem.
Oh, and why does the CF procure uniforms that obviously fit only pers who are morbidly obese??? Human rights? Right...
Sorry about the rant, but in the eye of the public (esp downtown Ottawa) we are the veritable Emperor without clothes.

Functional fitness definitely has a place in the CF, thats why the Combat Fitness Program was created, with input from Greg Glassman and with more than a healthy dose of CrossFit philosophy. Thats why base PSP staff from all over the CF have been going on CrossFit certificatoins. The thing that turns people off is the rabid boosterism and cultish devotion of the CrossFit disciples. Now before I get flamed I sip the koolaid too, I read the message boards, I have most of the CrossFit journals and I pay pretty close attention to what they are pushing. They have done an outstanding job of putting their 'stuff' out there and making it freely available to anyone who cares to read it. You just have to take alot of it with a grain of salt.

Regarding the CF Expres test.... the test is good, people need to be encouraged to exert MAXIMUM effort - meeting the minimum is not enough. Ultimately, and it has been stated again and again and again, fitness is a LEADERSHIP issue. If you have troops that are unfit, do something about it. If you work with people that are unfit, help them to become fit, don't just write them off.

- That being said, there does need to be some greater consquence - the USMC has a pretty stringent fitness requirement, I believe that they must have a photo of themselves in their dress uniform, attached to their pers file. If they don't fit the Marine 'mold' they don't get ahead.

[sarcasm] Frankly, I'm surprised the CF has adopted something so un-PC.  Why are all the workouts named after women?  They couldn't have called them something else? [/sarcasm]
rolleyes.gif

Then again, telling someone (with a big grin on your face) that you will be "doing Fran" today and "doing Cindy" the following day has a certain ring to it...

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Then again, telling someone (with a big grin on your face) that you will be "doing Fran" today and "doing Cindy" the following day has a certain ring to it...

And therein lies the issue.  I mean, really, they couldn't come up with other/better names for the exercises?

I did Donkey Kong this morning... or did Donkey Kong do me?

"Donkey Kong"
3 Rounds for time:
40 Burpees
20 KB Swings
10 Box Jumps

PMedMoe said:
And therein lies the issue.  I mean, really, they couldn't come up with other/better names for the exercises?

Your concerned about an exercise program because of the names?  Wrong mindset IMHO. ;) 

They are girls names as they were named after Hurricanes (the story I got and find around the internet).  Some of the newer ones are named after some of the significant women crossfitters.  There are also the hero WOD named after LEO and Mil personnel killed in the line of duty.

MJP said:
Your concerned about an exercise program because of the names?  Wrong mindset IMHO.

Did you look at my post with the [sarcasm] brackets?  I was kidding. 
Personally, I could care less about Crossfit since I probably will not have to worry about ever "doing" one of the girls.  ;)

Back