• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSOR and careers after?

Nic.Robinson17

Inactive
Reaction score
I am young and soon on my way to basic. I am going to be in the r22r infantry. I want see all the army has to offer at a young age so eventually I can settle down and potentially have a family. CSOR has always interested me and I will surely give it a shot after 2 years of service. my question is.

-are there any civilian jobs that a career in CSOR could lead to-

~nick r22r

Perhaps you should get into battalion before thinking about career opportunities after CSOR. Focus on getting through your training, making the best out of your time in battalion and apply when you feel you are ready. If you do make it in, I'm sure you'll get an idea of what is a possibility for CSOR Operators.

There may not be any civilian careers that are directly related for CSOR Operator(Or Infantry), but your experience and skills developed during your time can be beneficial. Also, what you do post CAF will depend on what you are interested in, your education, etc. Going off your last post(Combat Engineer to LEO EOD), I'll just throw this in. If you become a Infantry Soldier and even if you become a CSOR Operator, you can not directly transfer into a LEO Tac Team, etc. It can be a possibility if you become a Police Officer, and get your time in.

You will get out of the Army what you put in.  If you are a good troop, show leadership, etc courses and opportunity will come your way. If you hide from work, complain, put in minimal effort you won't get much.

Also, it's R22eR, or Royal 22e Régiment not r22r.

LightFighter said:
Perhaps you should get into battalion before thinking about CANSOF and what it may lead to afterwards

I understand the point you're making however all things considered this attitude is much better than recruits joining and wanting to know how the light duties system works, what they can take the CF for, what kind of surgeries they can get  and how to get as easy a go as possible.

I'm sure there are some unique opportunities afterwards but I don't think you need to worry about that too much right now. My only word of advice is go for it as soon as you are at 2 years. Some people will want you to do more time in etc. My application got shut down by my CO for the only reason that I was too jr (it's not their choice to make). So just go for it, there's not much value in sitting in a lav or rifle coy. You'll only be abused by officers trying to build their careers of your back... Anyways, this may make you slightly bitter. And IMO the less you are exposed to it the better. I've seen some pretty junior guys get picked up CANSOF.

As well you may find some of the bitter senior guys saying stuff behind your back about it. It will only be a select few. But they never had the balls to go do it and that's why they're stuck where they are.

Why am I thinking there is a little confusion there between 'too junior' and 'too immature'?  Meh, maybe it's just me.............

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Why am I thinking there is a little confusion there between 'too junior' and 'too immature'?  Meh, maybe it's just me.............

Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto

Schindler's Lift said:
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto

No.  I've worked with very mature, junior (rank/experience/age) folks, and also the opposite. 

Nic.Robinson17 said:
I am young and soon on my way to basic. I am going to be in the r22r infantry. I want see all the army has to offer at a young age so eventually I can settle down and potentially have a family. CSOR has always interested me and I will surely give it a shot after 2 years of service. my question is.

~nick r22r

I'm glad to see you have ambition. Properly managed its a good thing.

Do your time and learn the skills you need to learn. Become physically and mentally fit.
Don't ignore your education or willingness to learn new things. 

Become a good dependable fire team partner. We don't work in isolation.

Thanks for all the responses! Ill take it into consideration.

I heard that the r22r has different types of troops. I was wondering how you
get a position in them. I heared of a amphibious and a para platoon. Are those basic
places youll be placed or is it for more experienced soldiers?

~nick

Your incorrect abbreviation of the title of the Regiment that you seek to join was pointed out in a previous reply. Please pay attention to that. Failure to get it right, and failure to use capital letters in names and titles, does not show the proper respect due such a fine Regiment.

UnwiseCritic said:
I'm sure there are some unique opportunities afterwards but I don't think you need to worry about that too much right now. My only word of advice is go for it as soon as you are at 2 years. Some people will want you to do more time in etc. My application got shut down by my CO for the only reason that I was too jr (it's not their choice to make). So just go for it, there's not much value in sitting in a lav or rifle coy. You'll only be abused by officers trying to build their careers of your back... Anyways, this may make you slightly bitter. And IMO the less you are exposed to it the better. I've seen some pretty junior guys get picked up CANSOF.

As well you may find some of the bitter senior guys saying stuff behind your back about it. It will only be a select few. But they never had the balls to go do it and that's why they're stuck where they are.

A friendly word of advice:  You may want to reassess your attitude.  Assessing your suitability for something is not only well within your CO's perogative (i.e. it most definitey IS his choice to make - how "junior" you are is not simply a measurement of your age and time in), but it is actually a fundamental part of his job.  The rest of your post would seem to indicate that he may have made the right decision.

UnwiseCritic said:

Not sure why you're quoting 2 years - an applicant for SF Op only needs to be at OFP, which in most cases for Cbt Arms soldiers is QL3 qualified. That could (in theory) take more or less time, depending on the stars lining up or not.

Obviously you're pretty discouraged your file never went past the screening message, but I can assure you that your CO does in fact have a choice in the matter - Part 4 of the DND2984 is for the CO's comments, which are almost THE most important part of the whole application as that is where the recruiters will get a first hand account of you. Whether you understand it or not, sometimes being looked at as too junior is not necessarily being screwed over - someone who has a first hand working knowledge of CANSOFCOM requirements may actually be following the principles of leadership and actually looking out for your welfare (i.e. allowing you time to develop so you ace the selection) whereas you're only seeing it from your own POV.

Capt. Happy said:
Not sure why you're quoting 2 years - an applicant for SF Op only needs to be at OFP, which in most cases for Cbt Arms soldiers is QL3 qualified. That could (in theory) take more or less time, depending on the stars lining up or not.

Obviously you're pretty discouraged your file never went past the screening message, but I can assure you that your CO does in fact have a choice in the matter - Part 4 of the DND2984 is for the CO's comments, which are almost THE most important part of the whole application as that is where the recruiters will get a first hand account of you. Whether you understand it or not, sometimes being looked at as too junior is not necessarily being screwed over - someone who has a first hand working knowledge of CANSOFCOM requirements may actually be following the principles of leadership and actually looking out for your welfare (i.e. allowing you time to develop so you ace the selection) whereas you're only seeing it from your own POV.

Great post Capt. Happy. I think something that is often overlooked by some people is that many officers serving in the Battalions/Regiments have previous experience working with CANSOFCOM in some capacity so they are well aware of what is required in CANSOFCOM.  I know at my previous unit, one of the CSM's was a former member of CSOR and a number of OC's as well as the CO of the Bn had previously worked in CANSOFCOM. 

If you show up to selection and don't perform, you can be told never to try out again as well so it's definitely in your interest to listen to your CoC if they think you aren't ready.

RoyalDrew said:
Great post Capt. Happy. I think something that is often overlooked by some people is that many officers serving in the Battalions/Regiments have previous experience working with CANSOFCOM in some capacity so they are well aware of what is required in CANSOFCOM.  I know at my previous unit, one of the CSM's was a former member of CSOR and a number of OC's as well as the CO of the Bn had previously worked in CANSOFCOM. 

If you show up to selection and don't perform, you can be told never to try out again as well so it's definitely in your interest to listen to your CoC if they think you aren't ready.

Good point and certainly fits most situations. However I know of one officer who rose to command both JTF2 and CANSOFCOM who was denied an attempt to try selection by his boss in NDHQ. In this case it was because his section head did not want an empty space on the organization chart, not because of any doubts about his ability. It took considerable effort to get him sprung, and it certainly proved worthwhile.

Nic.Robinson17 said:

Commissionaire Corps comes to mind.

RoyalDrew said:

As long as your CoC isn't disconnected from the soldier applying, i.e. Ranked so high above him that he has never even personally met the guy. There are also plenty of countries that have direct entry into SF. Whether it's just a recruitment scheme or not, I'm not sure. But there certainly are young soldiers who make it and have a successful career with the SOF community.

And far too often I see people looking out for their own interests at higher levels than of those below them. And often it's hard to differentiate whose interest they really are looking out for. And while the conventional army is getting better at understanding and accepting SF units. There can still be some constraints put on SF by the conventional army. I've even seen people call some who go the SF route disloyal to the regiment. Just because the "regiment" helped out their careers with courses. But this is most often an exception and not a the norm. And I can understand a CO's plight when he loses good officers and NCO's to such units. But they will be put to better use there than in an infantry bn.

I saw the complete opposite with 3 VP.  Anyone that wanted to go CSOR or JTF2 was applauded for trying to do so, and supported 100% on their decision.

UnwiseCritic said:
As long as your CoC isn't disconnected from the soldier applying, i.e. Ranked so high above him that he has never even personally met the guy. There are also plenty of countries that have direct entry into SF. Whether it's just a recruitment scheme or not, I'm not sure. But there certainly are young soldiers who make it and have a successful career with the SOF community.

Depending on the applicants' rank,  the CO's comments are usually written by the applicant's immediate CoC (i.e the Pl Comd / 2IC or by the Sub unit 2IC based off the Pl CoC input). Could be just an engineer thing, but I have always seen potential candidates interviewed by the CO as part of the application process prior to the application being submitted officially with the CO's comments to ensure the CO has a feel for the candidate's suitability.

Capt. Happy said:
Depending on the applicants' rank,  the CO's comments are usually written by the applicant's immediate CoC (i.e the Pl Comd / 2IC or by the Sub unit 2IC based off the Pl CoC input). Could be just an engineer thing, but I have always seen potential candidates interviewed by the CO as part of the application process prior to the application being submitted officially with the CO's comments to ensure the CO has a feel for the candidate's suitability.

That is showing due diligence. 

George Wallace said:
That is showing due diligence.

That I can agree with, in this case it was at the interviews that each of us was told that it wasn't going to happen that year. 

Back