• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSOR in Kamloops, BC

Freight_Train

Inactive
Reaction score
Article reproduced under the Fair Dealings  provisions of the Copyright Act.

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=news_home&articleID=2326358

Canadian special ops soldiers training in Kamloops

full image
Capt. Greg Poehlmann says Kamloops was chosen for training the elite force because of the region's terrain, which is similar to Afghanistan. 
(Black Press) - For members of the new Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR), parachuting is just one way they'll get to work on a regular basis.

The elite unit of approximately 140 soldiers is in Kamloops until Aug. 11, conducting training exercises throughout the area.

This is the final month in a 16-week specialized training program required for admission into Canada's Special Forces.

The main body arrived Sunday and will work on individual, collective and operation training while in the area.

"We chose the Kamloops area because it is similar to Afghanistan and it's a very challenging terrain," said Capt. Greg Poehlmann, public affairs officer for the almost anonymous regiment, one of four comprising the newly formed Commander Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM).

Once certified, its members will have the ability to deploy to any part of the world by conventional and non-conventional means in record speed.

"This unit will have the ability to do what we call independent operations," said Poehlmann.

"The concept of the unit is it will be high readiness, meaning that it can deploy anywhere within the world in two to three days and get there and do what needs to be done."

CSOR's main directive will be to support the highly classified Joint Task Force 2, Canada's official counter- terrorism organization whose motto is "Deeds, not words."

Although not as classified, CSOR will maintain the position of the "public face" of CANSOFCOM, which also includes 427 Special Operations Aviation Squadron and the Joint Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defense Company.

More than 300 regular and reserve force members applied to the unit initiated as part of new Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier's recent Canadian Forces transformation.

It is anticipated CSOR will have an interim operational capability by Sept. 1, with full operational capability slated for 2010.

There will be no explosions or live fire during local training exercises and the use of simulated ammunitions will be determined on a day-to-day basis with respect to the local fire index rating.

Residents will see some activity, but on a much smaller scale than the Cougar Salvo manoeuvres in March.

Troops will be conducting exercises in the Tranquille, Strawberry Hill, Lac du Bois and Savona areas, and military helicopters will be flying over Kamloops.

Contact between soldiers and the public will be minimal, but Poehlmann advises: "If you bump into a soldier, don't be afraid to go up and say hi and talk to them.

"All our soldiers are approachable and they can say a few words."

Here's some pics of their training in Kamloops.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87345

Zoomie you and I both know that with out the F word and some other choice words we really are down to "A Few" words, add that to the drooling on ourselves and man were in rough shape for public consumtion  ;)

I hear you HoM - I too used to be one "of few words" - then I got myself edu-me-cated.

I found these NOTAMs (NOtice To Air Men) on the Nav Canada site - they pretty much seal off a nice little territory of Kamloops from prying eyes:
060224 CYKA KAMLOOPS
  CYKA PURSUANT TO SECTION 5.1 OF THE AERONAUTICS ACT, NO PERSON
  SHALL OPR AN ACFT WITHIN 2 NM RADIUS 504825N 1205341W (APRX 18 NM
  W AD) BLW AN ALT OF 700 FT AGL WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION OF DND
  613-720-5362 0607242030 TIL 0608040700

060230 CYKA KAMLOOPS
  CYKA PURSUANT TO SECTION 5.1 OF THE AERONAUTICS ACT, NO
PERSON SHALL OPR AN ACFT WITHIN 2 NM OF 504925N 1201738W
(9 NM NE AD) BLW AN ALT OF 700 FT AGL WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION
OF DND 613-720-5362
0608021700 TIL 0608030700

060232 CYKA KAMLOOPS
  CYKA PURSUANT TO SECTION 5.1 OF THE AERONAUTICS ACT NO PERSON
SHALL OPR AN ACFT WITHIN 2 NM OF 503645N 1202306W (APRX 6 NM
SSE AP)) BLW 500 FT AGL WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION OF THE
DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE 613-720-5362
0608031700 TIL 0608040700

HitorMiss said:
:'(

Bloody tour....Gah how I hate you!

I'll "see" you when you get back!  PM me when you're home. ;)

Cheers,
Duey

That's it I quit!

I'll just go sit and drool in the corner. This teach's me to fire off a quick post....  ;D

You all can rot!, but in a nice way.

Duey, no worries mate I plan to get on here whenever I can while gone. But that PM will be inbound the day of my arrival  ;D

One of my Cpl's applied and was accepted to CSOR back in Feb/Mar.  He hasn't returned yet, so I guess things are going just fine for him.

In ref. to the last few posts: "me fail engrish?  thats umpossible!"

Back on topic:
So I see they are in desert CADPAT, I wonder if I should be reading anything into that.

Quagmire said:
Back on topic:
So I see they are in desert CADPAT, I wonder if I should be reading anything into that.

Wearing AR CADPAT and training in the area because its similar to Afghanistan.........no i dont think you're reading anything into it

Canadian.Trucker said:
One of my Cpl's applied and was accepted to CSOR back in Feb/Mar.  He hasn't returned yet, so I guess things are going just fine for him.

I was just thinking about him when I was looking at those pics. Hoping to catch one of him, the balaclavas make it tought to figure out who is who.

Article reproduced under the Fair Dealings  provisions of the Copyright Act.
http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=43f1becd-1cfe-452d-982f-53e29ca0d7d5

Creating Canada's new Commandos
Elite fighting regiment will soon be ready for 'all sorts of scenarios'

The Ottawa Citizen

Saturday, August 05, 2006

KAMLOOPS, B.C. - As part of a major expansion of Canada's special forces -- a move driven by the war on terror -- a new regiment of elite fighters will be ready for action by the end of the month.

The Canadian Special Operations Regiment will be ready in an "interim operational capability" on Sept. 1 and fully ready for missions overseas or at home by the end of the year.

The regiment, to be based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, will provide support for Joint Task Force 2 -- considered the country's premier special forces unit -- and conduct its own missions.

"We've made some excellent progress to date," Lt.-Col. Jamie Hammond, the unit's commanding officer, said during a lull in training in the southern interior of British Columbia.

"There's a lot of training that will go on beyond this course, but right now I'm very happy with the quality of the people we've got, both the supporters and the actual candidates on the course."

The regiment will have its official "stand-up" ceremony at CFB Petawawa on Aug. 13.

At this point, the regiment has about 270 members, including headquarters and supply staff, as well as a training cadre. It is expected to expand to 750 over the next three to five years.

The regiment can be called upon to fulfil a number of roles, including training foreign soldiers, special reconnaissance operations or direct-action missions -- military parlance for attacking enemy targets or individuals.

Since the regiment is at high readiness, it could also be called on to help Canadians trapped overseas reach safety, similar to the mission that took place during the early days of the current crisis in Lebanon.

"My response is as long as we're ready and we're at a high readiness we could be deployed on all sorts of scenarios," said Lt.-Col. Hammond.

The regiment is part of a significant expansion in the Canadian military of its special forces capabilities.

Earlier this year, the military created the country's first special operations command to oversee such units. That command is responsible for JTF2, the special operations regiment, a special operations aviation squadron and an expanded nuclear, biological, chemical and radiological response unit. Eventually the command will have about 2,300 personnel under its control.

American defence analyst John Pike said Canada and other nations are following the example of the U.S. in expanding special forces, a move almost exclusively driven by the war on terrorism.

"The U.S. certainly sees such forces as important, but since we haven't won (the terror war) yet we won't know how big a role they've actually played," said Mr. Pike, director of the Washington-based GlobalSecurity.org.

But, he said, Canada's expansion of such forces will be seen in a positive light by U.S. military officials and could provide Canada with a way to further strengthen defence relations between the two nations.

The special operations regiment started with $25 million, but it hopes to receive approval in the fall for a $400-million project that would include new equipment and infrastructure. The Defence Department expects to build new training facilities and offices at CFB Petawawa.

The military put out the word in December it was looking for volunteers for the regiment. The troops were put through a 16-week selection course; of the original 178 candidates for what is being called a direct-action company, about 130 are left.

The regiment will have equipment and training similar to JTF2. Military officers say it is important the two units are interoperable since the regiment will be used at times to provide combat support for JTF2.

The expansion has been embraced by various Canadian governments. The program was launched under the Liberals shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, when it was decided to double the capability of JTF2. They later approved the creation of the special operations command and regiment.

The Harper government has added to the expansion by announcing the $2-billion purchase of Chinook heavy-lift helicopters, some of which are expected to support special forces.

At the same time, the Conservatives have announced they will create a 650-strong airborne regiment, but it is not known whether that would be brought into special operations command or stay under control of the army.

The Chinooks will give JTF2 and the regiment more ability to move around the battlefield in places such as Afghanistan, although the regiment still expects to use the Griffon helicopter for domestic missions and on some specific overseas operations, Lt.-Col. Hammond said.

The new regiment could also provide a recruiting pool of highly trained personnel for JTF2 in the future.

"I hope the best move up to JTF2," Lt.-Col. Hammond said.

Quagmire said:
Back on topic:

Gee...I don't know...

"We chose the Kamloops area because it is similar to Afghanistan and it's a very challenging terrain," said Capt. Greg Poehlmann, public affairs officer for the almost anonymous regiment, one of four comprising the newly formed Commander Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM).

Or perhaps it is because it is damn hot there and the dead grass is tan in colour?
::)

just a question here -
In my hometown (Valemount BC) there were some CF helicopters in town doing some training (all that the paper said!!) At the same time I also saw a member of the CF coming out of the local store. I assume he was JTF2 because he put on a tan beret. Anyone know anything about any JTF2 training in Valemount??

Well the Special Operations Regiment, not necessarily the JTF2, normally do training in southeastern BC because of the hot climate-preparing for Afghanistan.

The guys wearing the tan beret are members of CSOR.

Back