• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT/OT offer accepted, now what?

GDawg

Inactive
Reaction score
If this topic has already been covered let me know. I haven't spotted the particulars of this situation covered elsewhere.

I applied for a CT/OT from reserve Sig Op (I have QL5 with PLQ and a tour) to reg force army Comm Rsch. I have accepted the contract offer and now I'm wondering what happens from here? I've gotten precious little in the way of details. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a similar situation.

DMCA will hand hold you through most of the process. Start clearing out from your reserve unit, the paperwork takes a while. Whatever your reserve SMP clerk says, do NOT sign the security clearance form. I have an issue with mine as there is no checkbox for transfer, just a "stop clearance" which effectively de-indocs you. A clerk with DMCA should get a hold of you, and CC you when they contact your chief clerk. They'll let you know when and where to report, and the same clerk does your whole file, so fire any questions at them.

Out clearance from my old unit has begun. My start date is May 1 and that seems awfully close to have no useful details, I've hounded my SOR relentlessly because I have a bitter mistrust of military bureaucracy. I'm wondering how I will be employed/treated/housed while I wait for QL3 part 1 and the period before part 2.

I am in this situation.  I had started to spin after asking a fairly simple question of the CT clk, I thought.  Instructions I was given were to fill out about four pieces of paperwork and give them to the orderly room in Halifax when I reported in.  While, I am joining in Borden, position is in Halifax.  My statement was, no, Borden will probably want that and the clerk seemed not to understand that, that somehow, 1 May 09, I would be reporting to work in Halifax. 

Mmm, no, I went back and double checked the ETP messages of previous CT's and pulled myself back from my little freak out.  The msg will reiterate your terms from your  letter, it should also give you all the details of your move (which is my case, I am joining in Borden, but my position is in Halifax) I am expecting for mine there will be some sort of attach posting or delay of reporting date, but I am a pretty straightforward CT, same trade, same courses.

Not knowing any of your details, wait for the message, it should be coming out fairly soon.  Know that at least your first pay, if not the second and third will be done contingency, but you will get paid.  If the ETP msg doesn't detail your employment etc, expect probably a second msg to deal with that.  Plse do not bother the BOR until you have that msg, you don't exist to them until you do.

If you are staying at the same base, it would make sense to wait for that msg, so you can clear out and back in again.  You are going to be required to fill out some paperwork for the reserve side of the house too.

But, there was a whole thread for this subject already and this one will be closed most probably really soon.

Dara, which thread it that?

The main difference/concern here is regarding the particulars of employment. If the scheduled 3's course does not occur as planned, I'd much rather work as a Sig Op than do GD work.

GDawg said:
I'm wondering how I will be employed/treated/housed while I wait for QL3 part 1 and the period before part 2.

Most likely B7, unless you get some friends together and get a PMQ. EWATs belong to CFSCE Ops, so they'll sort stuff out for you while you wait for Part 2. If you want to see a little of what you can do before you start Pt2, ask to be attach posted to 2 EW, it'll keep you from sweeping floors somewhere.

PuckChaser said:
. They'll let you know when and where to report.

base training list until the next trade course starts...sniff..its gonna be a long summer.

Quick question, are you still owned by the unit you were most recently with after you get posted to a BTL? My message says July 13 posted to BTL but I was explicitly told that "we still own you until you go on your 3s" by my unit.

Base or Wing Cheif owns you. I have to completely clear out of my unit. I'm going to see if i can go on OJT with one of the other units. My crew chief was hinting today he'd like to keep me. Last time I was on BTL I was kicked off base..then again, i remustered from infantry to air force and they didn't want all the grunts seeing me in my work dress and air force badges wandering around...lol.

trend shows the higher rank you are, the more leniency you get..ie a sgt will probably be told to report in once a day, a cpl will get to hand out towels and sheets.

meni0n said:
Quick question, are you still owned by the unit you were most recently with after you get posted to a BTL? My message says July 13 posted to BTL but I was explicitly told that "we still own you until you go on your 3s" by my unit.

Your unit won't own you as of 13 Jul.  I just OTd and was posted to the BTL, had to clear out of my old unit and base and report to my new unit and base (not far from each other either).  Your unit *may* request to keep you (if you have certain skills/trg they can use and there is a shortage of, as an example) but as of your OT date, you belong to your new CM and the BTL. 

I am on parental leave, and it runs after july 13. So how will this work I wonder. Do I go in and tell them I have to clear out? Doesn't that mean that my leave is in limbo since the CO had no authority to authorize it after 13 july?

I wouldn't want to guess and speculate at that myself.  Best worked out between your unit and the BTL you will belong to? 

Frustrating to have a chain of command that doesn't really care. Oh well, I'll see what I can find out.

Well, for me I'm 8 days from reporting to Kingston for my Reg force contract and I have no useful information or paperwork, I admit I'm slightly distressed by this.

Hopefully you at least have a ticket. I didn't have any paperwork when I CTed to the Reg Force, I just reported in when I was told to by CFRC. Were you told if you were course loaded in May?

My CC was pissed that I booked my own storage unit without the permission of the CF, but since 1-08 I've been living in Grande Prairie so I doubt the CF has a working relationship with anybody up here (especially me!). I'm driving to Kingston, I'm not getting posted without my car.

Well, my transfer date is 1 May 09, and I was told not to worry so much as to when I show up in Halifax (I am in Borden, position is in Halifax).  Basically as long as I was somewhere, for me it will be at my unit, perhaps for your situation the nearest base?  I still have all the benefits I'm suppose to get to go through, such as house hunting trip etc.  My message is apparently done, they are just working on the financial side, and then it will be released, apparently they are down to one clerk in that section.  I am not going to expect to have to be in Halifax, they need to move me there first, is this not your situation also?

Well, I figured I'd be proactive and just drive 3000 Km and show up. They can feel free to drag their asses, but that isn't how I roll.

Your killing me here, does you course start the same day as the CT date?  I don't understand why you are expecting you need to be there on your transfer date.  I was told to clear into my BOR, and from there we sort out my benefits and as long as my new unit knew where I was, no worries.  There is such a thing as delay of reporting date too.  There is no way in hell I am packing up and moving myself 1900 km's to be in Halifax for 1 May 09.  I am going to show up to the BOR here, talk to Pay & Records, mosey down to IRP and get everything set up.  Maybe you should talk to your Component Transfer Manager?

Back