• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT, Reserve to reg, leave calculations?

Milhouser911

Reaction score
I've recently (Alright, not terribly recently, but the paperwork continues to dog me, almost two years later) completed a component transfer from the reserves to the regs, and have a question about how TI with regards to annual leave (20/25 days) is calculated.  Initially, I was under the impression that it worked the same as the pensionable time, IE 4/1 class A, 1/1 class B and C.  Even after talking to a handfull of clerks, I was told this is how it works.  Recently, I was informed that in fact any class A or class B contracts under 90 days work at 4/1, and class B contracts over 90 days are 1/1. 

Can anyone confirm how this works?

Thanks.

From QR&O I, Chapter 16.14:

(4) For the purposes of paragraph (3), an officer or non-commissioned member completes five years of service in the Canadian Forces on the day following the day on which the following periods of service of the member total five years:

(a) the present period of continuous service;

(b) any previous periods of Regular Force service;

(c) one-quarter of any previous periods of service on Class "A" Reserve Service; and

(d) any previous periods of service on Class "B" Reserve Service or Class "C" Reserve Service.

On your MPRR you should have a block that says something like this: PFTPS (YRS/DYS): 3/193. So using that example, you'd need 1 yr, 172 days to have a t
a total of 5 years and earn 25 days leave.

Milhouser911 said:
Initially, I was under the impression that it worked the same as the pensionable time, IE 4/1 class A, 1/1 class B and C.  Even after talking to a handfull of clerks, I was told this is how it works.  Recently, I was informed that in fact any class A or class B contracts under 90 days work at 4/1, and class B contracts over 90 days are 1/1. 

The over/under 90 day thing for Class B applies only to pensionable time.

Pensionable time: Class A and Class B under 90 are calculated at 1/4 time, Class B over 90 is 1 for 1. I didn't have any Class C time, so I forget if the under/over 90 applies to Class C.

Leave: Class A is 1 for 4 and ALL Class B and C is 1 for 1 (as quoted by Puck Chaser).

I had just under 5 years pensionable time using the first formula and over 5 years using the second formula and I got 25 days leave my first full year in the RegF, no problem.

The 1/4 time class A no longer applies to pension on transfer; now it's a day is day (unless it's class A).

Or, in other words, the number of pensionable days you receive credit for is (all class B) plus (all class C) plus (all class A multiplied by 1.4).

Puckchaser, thanks for the link and the info.  I completed my CT on 31 October 2008, and my MPRR still lists my PFTPS as 0/0.  It's par for the course for this whole affair tho, as absolutely nothing has gone smoothly.

Point and case, I went 5 months without a paycheque due to my reserve unit clerks dragging a**.  None of this surprises me anymore.

Thanks for the responses.

One final question:  When you hit your 5 years, do you recieve the additional 5 days immediately, or do you have to wait until the following leave year?

Go to your unit OR and they should square the 5 days away. You're entitled to them right away.

Back