• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current military traditions

I thought LRP's raison d'etre was to cover holidays for SAR?

Season 3 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

The various traditions around port at the end of a Mess diner = Don't put the bottle on the table/don't lift the bottle from the table depending who you are.....

The various traditions around port at the end of a Mess diner = Don't put the bottle on the table/don't lift the bottle from the table depending who you are.....
Our tradition in the RCCS is.... we have no tradition. On the table, off the table... so long as your glass is charged.

I utterly despise Port, if I created a tradition, it would be to ceremoniously pore every last drop on the ship/camp over the side or into the latrine.

I did not like port until I drank good port.

Not a ruby, but a LBV, a colheita or a Vintage port and you may well be transported.

Port is a wine for small servings to be shipped and savoured; not for tossing back in volume.

Port is a wine for small servings to be shipped and savoured; not for tossing back in volume.
I beg to differ.

Port in schooners and beakers.
A great place to follow up an after work reception down in Henry's wine cellar in the MoD building.

LRP Operational Sqns enter the chat

SAR Operational Sqns enter the chat

RCN Ready Duty Ships enter the chat
I spent a couple of New Years eve sitting next to a loaded jet…. The ACOps and AWCs running the Ops Center, the Air Defense Sectors and the CAOC, AECs on duty in Control Towers and IFR terminals, the Met Tech making the local observations, the cooks making meals, the drivers delivering meals, refueling aircraft and clearing runways, taxiways and ramps, to name a few were also on shift, at work, ensuring we’re capable to protect our airspace even during holidays. Every air force community and trades supporting air operations is on duty one way or another over the Holidays. The Air Force is conducting operations, in the background, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year without much recognition.

I spent a couple of New Years eve sitting next to a loaded jet…. The ACOps and AWCs running the Ops Center, the Air Defense Sectors and the CAOC, AECs on duty in Control Towers and IFR terminals, the Met Tech making the local observations, the cooks making meals, the drivers delivering meals, refueling aircraft and clearing runways, taxiways and ramps, to name a few were also on shift, at work, ensuring we’re capable to protect our airspace even during holidays. Every air force community and trades supporting air operations is on duty one way or another over the Holidays. The Air Force is conducting operations, in the background, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year without much recognition.

Well said; many people don’t realize that lots of people outside HQs and garrison army units are on duty over the Holidays. During my 6 year line Sqn tour, I had one Christmas/New Years that I had both off. 2 of them in a row, I spent New Years Eve in the DMSC briefing for a New Years Day mission (IMPACT) and the others I was holding Ready crew. WOps, Firehall…all those folks and ones like you mentioned at all supporting local ops.

Every HMCS that floats and is along side has a duty crew…24/7, 365…

Well said; many people don’t realize that lots of people outside HQs and garrison army units are on duty over the Holidays. During my 6 year line Sqn tour, I had one Christmas/New Years that I had both off. 2 of them in a row, I spent New Years Eve in the DMSC briefing for a New Years Day mission (IMPACT) and the others I was holding Ready crew. WOps, Firehall…all those folks and ones like you mentioned at all supporting local ops.

Same goes for DEFSOC, CFNOC, MACS, COMCEN, and various other Comms tasks. It's great when you're not in the line units slinging canvas 6 monthsbout of the year. However, it does suck when you're not given a 3 week carte blanche to take leave because..well... comms are 24/7 365.

Its pretty uncommon for us not to have at least two ships at sea during the Xmas/NYE block leave. One in the Atlantic or Med and one in the PAC somewhere.

Most, but not all, of the CAF doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

My experience with the "special people" gave me a deep deep respect for the day in day out LS/Cpl who do the job for shit pay and on shitty equipment and don't quit and then ask for more.

As I reflect back on whether or not I had to work on Xmas or New Years, I realized that the few occasions on which I did were mainly when I was posted to Ottawa. But then I didn't include the times (4) that I was duty travelling on those particular days; twice for a posting move and twice on TD.

Back