• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

D.I.E. cis-het white men bun fight [Split from:SWO badge]

D&B, are you talking pam-CAF, or is that more an Army comment?

So no issue finding new ranges then, for example? Just a matter of some positive public engagement and all will be well again?

Being Army, my focus is probably limited to that particular 'silo'.

And funny thing... if you have met (engaged with) the people who manage Crown land in the provincial government, and they trust you, they just might be able to help with some advice about the range thing.

It's not surprising, really, as the CO's job, available resources and training are not geared towards any of those requirements.

A long while back, when I was more generously inclined to support LCol as an appropriate rank for a tiny militia unit, it was on the basis that the engagement job just described is the one a CO should be doing, and maybe a LCol's pay (and status-by-rank) was appropriate for that.

I remember remarking a short while back something to the effect that a Res F unit should have two elements: a PR element and a training/development element (everyone else, but primarily A Coy/Sqn/Bty/Etc). The PR element should be a handful of people including the CO, with responsibility for all the outward facing engagement stuff, but to do it without creating taskings for the training/development element (ie. not constantly interrupting them with requests for work parties) UNLESS the activity does not coincide with training/development AND there are Class A soldiers willing to do GD work for a little extra pocket money.

That sounds a whole lot like my Unit Visibility Team.

Roughly speaking, the UVT is part of the Public Affairs section. 1 x PAO, 1 x PO2 Recruiter, 1 x MS, 1 x S1. Duties involve covering both internal and external events, and ensuring that these events are given the widest public dissemination. Further the PAO maintains close contact with the local MPs and MLAs. There is also the advantage of MB having an MLA who functions as the provincial military liaison that we can tap in to. We also maintain close contact with employers through CFLC. We invite top employers to either our annual range shoot, or our fall exercise so they can see what the sailors are up to. This has paid dividends for sailors who require time off to attend training or taskings.

The UVT, through the PAO reports to the XO for routine matters, and to me for all external comms etc.

Roughly speaking, the UVT is part of the Public Affairs section. 1 x PAO, 1 x PO2 Recruiter, 1 x MS, 1 x S1. Duties involve covering both internal and external events, and ensuring that these events are given the widest public dissemination. Further the PAO maintains close contact with the local MPs and MLAs. There is also the advantage of MB having an MLA who functions as the provincial military liaison that we can tap in to. We also maintain close contact with employers through CFLC. We invite top employers to either our annual range shoot, or our fall exercise so they can see what the sailors are up to. This has paid dividends for sailors who require time off to attend training or taskings.

The UVT, through the PAO reports to the XO for routine matters, and to me for all external comms etc.

That sounds wonderful, and wholly unlike anything I've ever seen unfold over the past three decades with the Army. Occasionally, a photographer might turn up, but that was about it AFAIK.

Back