• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Damage Control Room on a warship

Gorgo

Reaction score
Quick question to all the Navy folks out there; it's been over two decades since I was aboard Saguenay and I need to confirm something:

What exactly is the damage control monitor room (on Saguenay, it was on the starboard side of 3 Deck between the ship's office and the regulating office across from Sick Bay) called normally?  I recall the term "HQ1" being used, but I'm not sure if that's the right term these days.

Thanks!

As far as I know, that is still the correct term.

Hi Fred.  Yes, HQ 1 is correct.  It's location depends on what platform. 
On PRO class, it's near the MCR but a compartment of it's own. 
On IRO class, it's in the same general compartment, but segregated from the MCR which is around the corner and down a bit. 
On a CPF it's in the MCR compartment but the compartment is split with down the middle so to speak with the Stokers/ET on the Stbd side and DCC/HQ 1 on Pt side.

Fwd Section base is now called Sec Base-1, Aft is SB 2 and the Hgr is SB 3.

Also in MCR on a MCDV.
(I figured, may as well have the whole set - anyone knows where it is on the subs?)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Also in MCR on a MCDV.
(I figured, may as well have the whole set - anyone knows where it is on the subs?)
Thanks, I'm not a SME on the KIN class.

You know Cupper, sometimes ignorance is ... right :) .

As a matter of fact, your humourous comment is correct.

You see, when surfaced, the part of a submarine's hull you see is the outer hull (known as the casing), while all human activities related to the operation of the submarine occurs within the inner (pressure) hull. This second hull's top is just about at the waterline when on the surface. So obviously, HQ1 has to be somewhere below the waterline at all times.

Funny enough for you?

Back