• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DAOD 5019-1, Personal Relationships and Fraternization

dardt

Reaction score
Ref DAOD 5019-1, Personal Relationships and Fraternization

Not a new issue, but am interested in sparking debate and hearing more senior member's opinions. Could not find anything posted within the past couple years in my search.

I like to think it's generally understood what is an acceptable personal relationship between two members of the CF. Is it clear in your workplace ? Maybe some elements handle it / or are less prone to the issue ? (for example there tends to be more in formalities within the ranks in the Air Force).
Many will debate on whether such a relationship should exist in the first place, but most if not all will agree that it should not translate into the workplace. What are your experiences and how have you dealt with the issue ? (as a Supervisor, as a subordinate ?)
It's often more cut and dry when the relationship is romantic, but what about when the members are just "friends". How about when the personal relationship is between a senior and junior member (ie WO or MWO and Pte / Cpl), in the same COC. How about when promotion recommendations are involved.
I would tend to look to the COC for guidance in such issues, what if the conflict or perceived conflict is originating there. What are one's options ? Are there occasions where one should just "take it on the chin", is it worth fighting the battle only to loose the war. What if the negative impact on unit morale is clearly evident. A lot of generalities I know but I would like to spark some debate.

I find that the overwhelming majority of the time, one recognizes an "inappropriate relationship" the instant one sees it.  ;)

Another commandment is (write this one in underneath  the other ten):

"Thou  Shalt Not Share Thy Rod With Thy Staff."

Back