• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DART Delay?

slim300

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051021.wdart1021/BNStory/National/

Although I haven't deployed as a medic, I'd like to think that how we practice is how we play... at least to some extent.

Throughout years of courses and exercises with the medical services, there's always a focus on being ready to receive patients as soon as possible.  The concept of tailgate ready doesn't seem to being applied to the DART deployment in Pakistan.  Of course there are issues of security, etc. but I can't understand how it's taken nearly a week to deploy a functional unit.  I believe the Field Hospital is supposed to be able to go up in around 24 hrs, and is a much bigger unit.

You can put up a small section sized UMS and start treating patients with a couple doctors and a handful of medics in about 15 min if your working hard.

Can some HS folks with some more deployment experience fill me in on what I'm missing?... my gut reaction is that delaying pt care to set up accomodation tents and HQ facilities is a gross fault in priorities.

Cheers.

Well as you said you haven't deployed yet.  I have been on 2 inital tours (Haiti 95 and Afghanistan 2002) but never with the Dart.  Its one thing to go in to a clearly defined training area with no obstacles and another to get into an earthquake ravaged terrain.  The area the Dart is said to be in is going to take time to get to, then time to clear an area and set up.  None of which can be achieved in 15 minutes.  Yes I will admit Canada was a slow on getting the decision to send the Dart.  But be reasonable.  We were a month in Kandahar before we had our camp completely set up.  UMS was up in 2 weeks.  We were luck we worked out of the american UMS.  Sounds like when reading this article, they are being proactive and taking advantage of what is already existing and doing what they can.  I work with Dr. Kennedy here in Gagetown, I know he is one of the most proactive people around.  He would work out of a jumpbag if he had to as long as he was treating the injury.  I think considering the area they are in they are doing the best they can.
Kirsten

This DART is staffed by a whole bunch of new troops from 1CFH, 4ESR, et all, who have no previous experience, except one practice ex. This could also be party to the delays.

The DART "tailgate" would only take care of the team members them selves. To get to the 300-500 patients per day, they need to be fully set up. No need to do it half way. Also allot of what DART sees are older, non priority injuries and infections from those injuries.

From what I read, I think they have their priorities mixed up, putting more emphasis on the set up of the camp itself first.

Back