• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

David Hackworth Dies at 74

What a soldier!

About 10 or 11 years since I last read (then lent and lost) About Face.  A man of strong convictions and soldierly values, and the book is a great read.

Hackworth is where I cut my teeth with the whole "military" thing - excellent book.  Although his later writing tended to the side of unproductive ranting, he was still bang on with many things.

Whatever, the case, his record of 2 DSCs, 10 Silver Stars and 8 Bronze Stars is amazing.

RIP, sir.  :salute:

In his early years I felt he made a real contribution. But in the last 4 years I think he became arrogant and a leftist. He marginalized himself in his constant goal of making the generals look bad while advancing his own agenda - anti-Republican.

I also respect his accomplishments and his love of the American soldier. Tonight I will remember this officer
with a glass raised to his memory.

The world is a better place for having known a soldier like David Hackworth.  Stand easy Sir, End of mission.   :salute:

tomahawk6 said:
In his early years I felt he made a real contribution. But in the last 4 years I think he became arrogant and a leftist. He marginalized himself in his constant goal of making the generals look bad while advancing his own agenda - anti-Republican.

I also respect his accomplishments and his love of the American soldier. Tonight I will remember this officer
with a glass raised to his memory.

Even the final chapters of "About Face" were leaning in that direction, but his articles in the past few years did seem a bit off the rails. Nevertheless, he earned the right to express himself, and certainly was one of the better writers out there. Time to dust off "About Face" and "Steel, My soldier's Hearts" for another read.

Bloody good man... I think I must have read About Face six or seven times in the past 12 years- and I'll read it again.

America's most decorated soldier is what the local media is saying here, and he lived right here in Queensland. He was well known, and for him to make the news here, shows how much he was respected and admired by the locals.

I am sure he is in a better place now.

Regards,

Wes

Personally, I actually corresponded with Col Hackworth on occasion.

In addition to his well-documented and undeniable accomplishments in uniform, he also spoke out, and his voice was heard and recognised above the din of the faceless careerists and bureaucrats.

Exert your talents and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world until the world will be sorry that you retire.    I hate a fellow whom pride or cowardice or laziness drives into a corner, and who does nothing when he is there but sit and growl.   Let him come out as I do, and bark.
-- Attributed to Samuel Johnson, 1709-1784

This is a real loss. I had not read anything recent of his, but I found "About Face" to be excellent. In particular it shows how an indifferently trained and dispirited outfit can be turned around by a good, determined leader who is not afraid to demand high standards and kick some asses. A lesson to be learned as we try to clear away the rot of Unification and the last decade or so.

Cheers

Regardless of his deterioration in the last few years, he was a warrior and served his country well, and and example to us all

RIP Sir :salute:

Sorry to hear of the death of Colonel Hackworth. Wrote him several times; he always replied
with one of his custom Post Cards. He was (and is) a regular contributor to the US site, Military.com
and of course, his contributions reflected his opinions about a variety of issues in the United
States military. Colonel Hackworth was in his notes to me, always highly commendable about
the outstanding qualities of Canadian troops he was familier with, particularly the Canadian Airborne
Regiment in Somalia - he rated the Canadian Airborne Regiment highly, and was appalled at the
termination of the famed Regiment by politicians and bureaucrats who had never served in the
Canadian (or any other) military. An outstanding officer and soldier who will be missed. JMacLeod

An outstanding Warrior... Blue Skies, Col.  :salute:
jmacleod said:
Colonel Hackworth was in his notes to me, always highly commendable about the outstanding qualities of Canadian troops he was familier with, particularly the Canadian Airborne Regiment in Somalia - he rated the Canadian Airborne Regiment highly, and was appalled at the termination of the famed Regiment by politicians and bureaucrats who had never served in the Canadian (or any other) military.
Some people on this site should take note of this quote, it seems the Col knew the difference between an average Soldier and a good one !! Thanks for sharing this with us, Mr MacLeod.  :cdn:

AIRBORNE !!!

Back