• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEF/EGR system delete

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Anyone on here drive a diesel and deleted it ?

It was actually suggested to me by my dealership maintenance manager and a friend who works in sales.

I thought it was illegal to do that. But if I can I would love to get rid of that system.

Anyone on here drive a diesel and deleted it ?

It was actually suggested to me by my dealership maintenance manager and a friend who works in sales.

I thought it was illegal to do that. But if I can I would love to get rid of that system.
What vehicle?

The most I’d do is out a drip-can on the EGR breather (VW TDI, sometimes called an ‘elephant hose’), but I wouldn’t mess with the DPF or the EGR. I’ve had GM, VW, Jeep, BMW and MB diesels and currently run two, and on occasion would pop the EGR valves to clean them, but otherwise not mess with the emissions systems with a delete.

Good quality full synth oil per the OEM’s spec is decent enough to generally deal with the EGR gunk…in addition to some decent long distance driving.

What vehicle?

The most I’d do is out a drip-can on the EGR breather (VW TDI, sometimes called an ‘elephant hose’), but I wouldn’t mess with the DPF or the EGR. I’ve had GM, VW, Jeep, BMW and MB diesels and currently run two, and on occasion would pop the EGR valves to clean them, but otherwise not mess with the emissions systems with a delete.

Good quality full synth oil per the OEM’s spec is decent enough to generally deal with the EGR gunk…in addition to some decent long distance driving.

Ford 3L, V6 Powerstroke.

Ford 3L, V6 Powerstroke.
Anecdotally a Powerstroke would be on my list of least-likely to mess with, TBH. If it were a Cummins, 5.9-6.7 I’d consider it, but I wouldn’t try anything with either a Powerstroke or Duramax. The 3.0 PS was a follow-on development from FordUK/Jag/LandRover’s 3.0 with strengthened/redesigned crank and main bearings, but not much time on the engine fleets so far to know definitively how the new crank holds up (compared to say VM Motori’s A/L630 3.0L V6 used in Ram EcoDiesel 1500s or MB’s 3.0L v6 OM642 used in MB/Freightliner/Dodge/Jeep).

If the dealer is suggesting a delete, ask them for a free extended driveline warranty that includes note of DPF/EGR delete. 😉

Anecdotally a Powerstroke would be on my list of least-likely to mess with, TBH. If it were a Cummins, 5.9-6.7 I’d consider it, but I wouldn’t try anything with either a Powerstroke or Duramax. The 3.0 PS was a follow-on development from FordUK/Jag/LandRover’s 3.0 with strengthened/redesigned crank and main bearings, but not much time on the engine fleets so far to know definitively how the new crank holds up (compared to say VM Motori’s A/L630 3.0L V6 used in Ram EcoDiesel 1500s or MB’s 3.0L v6 OM642 used in MB/Freightliner/Dodge/Jeep).

If the dealer is suggesting a delete, ask them for a free extended driveline warranty that includes note of DPF/EGR delete. 😉

Ya my understanding is the 3.0 is the Lion Diesel that's been in Land Rovers for ever almost with the updated bits you mentioned.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't delete these, because they are somewhat unknown ATM with no real established history of performance and maintenance issues ?

Perhaps just a gut feel. The only engine I’d really consider deleting would be a Cummins past driveline warranty, because I’m pretty certain it would last. That said, I did dial back my 1.9 ALH TDI’s EGR duty-cycle and it lasted 290,000km (still in the first clutch) but it was still adjusted within OEM specs, so wasn’t a delete, per se.

There’s something dodgey about a dealer recommending you do an EGR delete on an under warranty engine…I wouldn’t trust them to not screw you over on some repair later down the road that they say was required to resolve some issue.

Doing the delete is technically "illegal" in Canada. Depending on the province you live in, and whether you intend to resell/trade in the vehicle will determine the impact of doing so. If you need an annual safety inspection, then any credible garage should not issue the sticker on a deleted vehicle because it would fail the exhaust inspection portion. If you go to resell the vehicle, the new owner would not be able to pass a vehicle safety inspection from any credible garage without "undeleting" the system. As mentioned above, it would void the warranty on the engine and drive train, which depending on the age of the vehicle, may or may not be an issue.

Now, if you are keeping the vehicle until it rusts away, it doesn't need to be safetied in the future, and you don't expect to get stopped by a provincial ministry of transportation officer, no one would likely be the wiser other than the mechanic who works on the vehicle.

Most individuals who do the delete do so for more power. If properly maintained, for the normal user they aren't an issue, unless the vehicle is used in extreme cold on a regular basis (we had to delete the def systems on some equipment we sent to CFS Alert, and it was a nightmare to get the computers flashed to allow the engines to run correctly).

Back