• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defending Canadian Arctic Sovereignty

But....

But the prime minister has been unclear about Canada's position. Justin Trudeau told reporters this week that security is only one part of his government's focus in the North. Addressing climate change and promoting economic opportunities for the Inuit are equally important, he said.

"We are in a time of of reflection around how we ensure Canada's continued sovereignty in the Arctic, and in times past or governments past that would have happened through a military lens," he said Thursday after announcing a new engagement policy with Inuit.

"Can we put more bases in the North? Can we show that we're ready to defend and control our Arctic? What this policy, and quite frankly, the relationship that we've built over the past number of years in the Crown-Inuit partnership [shows] is [that] sovereignty in the North passes through the people who live there and who have lived there for millennia."

:confused:

Canada's negotiators were kind of timid when they decided to split the island in half. They should've said, "You can have the whole Island! Just one small thing, all you have to do is.....join Canada!" Greenland might have gone for it.;)

Canada's negotiators were kind of timid when they decided to split the island in half. They should've said, "You can have the whole Island! Just one small thing, all you have to do is.....join Canada!" Greenland might have gone for it.;)
Greenland is working its way towards independence of sorts. I think they can easily look at our northern policies and decide that perhaps its not in their best interest.

Obviously wasn't being serious bud, the ;) was to make it obvious.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Americans would throw a shit-fit if and try to block any serious attempt at Canada getting control of Greenland. (Not like there ever was one)

Obviously wasn't being serious bud, the ;) was to make it obvious.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Americans would throw a shit-fit if and try to block any serious attempt at Canada getting control of Greenland. (Not like there ever was one)
How much was Trump's offer? :)

I can't remember. Probably on the interweb somewhere. I think it was something like 100 Billion (or so) but not sure.

Edit - did a quick search on Wikipedia. Did have info on the Trump proposal to buy Greenland, but no mention of the amount. It's possible the amount was not mentioned in the media, which would be a good reason I can't remember (other than the fact I'm getting old).

Back