• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Delaying BMQ?

navyelle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, my apologies if something similar has been asked before, but after searching the forums I have not found anything to help me.

I am currently getting a college certificate, to be awarded August 2015. I start my college diploma September 2015, and I receive my diploma August 2016 (accelerated program, 3 semesters only).  I would like to join the Navy as soon as I am finished my diploma, so I plan to start my application sometime in June 2016, as the average person on the forum seems to take 3-4 months.

I am wondering if I could start my application earlier than June 2016. Hopefully I am sworn in, but what if BMQ starts before I receive my diploma? I am sorry if this is not clear, I am asking if I could start my application this September, and if I am sworn in, could I delay BMQ for September 2016 for education reasons? I would like to know if I am accepted sooner rather than later, so I can give up my dream of joining the Navy if I am rejected (most likely due to medical reasons), and focus on a new career path after graduating.

Any help is welcome, I wanted to ask the recruiters on the forums before talking to one in person.

Good day navyelle,

You can apply anytime. If you are offered a position before you finish your college diploma, you can always turn down the offer and ask to be put back on the merit list. If you do apply, make sure to bring up with your military career counselor that you are still in college and plan on graduating in August 2016.

What occupation are you looking to apply to in the Royal Canadian Navy?

Hey guys,

I know I'm not a recruiter but my situation is very similar and I wanted to ask a question rather than start a new thread.

I applied for Infantry and Combat Engineer and I have just written my CFAT and passed, as of the 13th. Currently, I work the government on term contracts as I am a student, the newest of which will be the summer term. My employer will not give me a contract unless I can 100% confirm that I will be here from start to finish, however they do not seem to understand that I have no control over the speed of my application and processing.

My predicament is that I do not want to be without work for four months while I wait for my application to go through, however, I do not want to seem disinterested to the Forces if I have to turn down a letter of offer because of a contract.

My question is, will turning down a letter of offer significantly affect my dates of getting to BMQ or is it a minor setback? Also, does turning down a letter appear negative to the Forces?

Sorry for the novel, I desperately want to get into the Forces and my current employer is being less than understanding  :mad:

Any help is appreciated,

eharps

Good day eharps,

If you just wrote the CFAT, you still have some time before you complete all your processing. Therefore, I would advise that you stick with your current employment this summer.

If you do happen to get a job offer while you are employed, you can turn it down and ask to be put back on the merit list. Let your detachment know that you can not be enroled until the end of your current contract. Your detachment should be making a note of this on your file.

Back