• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

dental braces and deployment

snoman317

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,
just got news from the orthodontist that I need to get braces, and I have to do so pretty soon to have any sort of insurance coverage. I've also been planning on trying to get on 1-11 so I looked up how this would effect that, and came up with this...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/CH-4-eng.asp
6. The following conditions will result in deferral of enrolment until the condition is corrected:
  3. the active phase of orthodontic treatment, if such treatment is required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition. If orthodontic treatment is not required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition, enrolment may proceed if the applicant signs the Statement of Understanding on orthodontic treatment which is found in the Recruiter's Handbook, Annex D to Chapter 2.

7. The dental standards for enrolment in the Canadian Forces shall apply:

1. to applicants for the Regular Force;
  2. to applicants for the Reserve Entry Training Program at Service Colleges;
  3. to members of the Reserves making application for transfer to the Regular Force; and
  4. for employment
        1. on Class C service;
        2. on Class B service for a period in excess of 6 months; or
        3. as active aircrew (including Reserve Class A Active Aircrew).

Am I pretty much S.O.L.? I'm not sure what sort of "routine" my braces will put me on regarding checkups, etc. However, if I have them on by the time the roto leaves Canada, are there any positions that I could still be accepted for?

Here braces puts you into a different dental catagory, and out of the deployment loop. I knew a bloke that was listed in this catagory for over 2 yrs and not to deploy because of his dental work in progress.

However this is Australia and Canada may do things different.

OWDU ;D

Unless a tooth fairy here can set me straight, you can't deploy during active orthodontic treatment - in the Reg Force they pretty much have to be able to tell the dentist or orthodontist that they won't be deploying in order to get the treatment completed.

If you want to go, I'd ask the orthodontist the meaning of "need" - is it for actual dysfunction or derangement vice more for cosmetic reasons.  If the latter, might want to hold off.

MM

I agree with the MedicineMan. My son had braces when he was younger and it was two years of monthly apppointments to tighten and adjust them. Deployment + Braces = Disaster.

Thanks for the help guys.
I will see what comes up in my next consultation with the ortho, but I have a feeling these braces are going to put many of my plans on hold.

Back